Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Phone question

Old 09-15-2011, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Phone question

Hey All,
This will be my first season hunting while owning an iPhone. I know I'm not unique in that I stay in my stands from before sunrise to after sunset without getting down midday. Where I hunt generally isn't cell phone friendly and eats batteries. With previous phones I would always carry an extra battery to swap out once one has died. Obviously with the iPhone this isn't an option, which almost made me wait for another option (Verizon). What do you all use for a battery backup with the iPhone that will keep it alive and functional all day?

Thanks,
R
Old 09-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

i dont have an iphone but i was reading in a hunting magazine about some of the new toys out, and i think it was brunton that made a solar panel you could unfold and it will quickcharge all your battery operated gadgets.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are external battery sources you can get to plug the iPhone into. With my iPhone, I typically just turn it off when I'm in areas of low coverage. I will occasionally turn it on when I'm bored to see if I have signal or if any message came through.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Spike

You can put it in airplane mode to save some on the batteries. But I have the same problem with my phone. I get about 4hrs before it eats up my batteries searching for signal
Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

My brother has a adapter the hooks to a 9 volt battery, that hooks up to the charging port of a cell phone that will charge it.
I think you can get it at Wal-Mart.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbsr
My brother has a adapter the hooks to a 9 volt battery, that hooks up to the charging port of a cell phone that will charge it.
I think you can get it at Wal-Mart.
be careful with those type chargers. I had one like that, ran off of a doubleA battery and it ruined my blackberry.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

case mate makes an external battery for the iphone that doubles as a protective case, thats what i use, will give you about 65% more battery
Old 09-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tell people where I will be and when to expect back. I don't have any cell service where I hunt. I'm out there to hunt not search Facebook, or play games.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with sconnyhunter. The only thing that I use my phone for is to get the word out when I shoot something or when I need to be picked up and to check and see if my other buddies need picked up if I have the truck. But to answer your question my phone is on airport until I need it so it is not draining battery searching for signal.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Spike

I saw some solar chargers in the new Cabelas catalog for phones and computers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.