HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   car trailer for deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/349749-car-trailer-deer.html)

not the dogs 09-14-2011 03:40 PM

car trailer for deer

Just wondering if there's anyone out there like me? Last Monday I had to sale my pick up after being laid off. 5 days after that I was going down the road to go bow hunting and hit a doe with my Sunfire. It still runs after I pulled the metal off of the tire to keep it from scrubbing. I can't afford a new truck so I thought about a small trailer for my Sunfire. Has anyone else done this. Fallen on hard times but I sure don't want to give up hunting. Plus it does put some good food on the table.

jsk1968 09-14-2011 04:01 PM

Sorry to hear about your situation. Do what ever you have to, just make sure it's safe. Maybe one of those cargo racks you can get for a reciever hitch will do. I used one when I first started Deer hunting. Worked great, could even get two on it. Couple ratchet straps made sure they stayed put. Cheaper than a trailer and alot less hassle.

dpv 09-14-2011 04:08 PM

Years ago, before I had a truck, I drove a Jeep Cherokee. When I killed my first ever deer, I loaded it onto a trailer and drove to a friends house because I had never butchered one before.
A year or so later I killed a button buck on public land and threw it on top of the Cherokee. Tied it on there with 550 cord and drove 40 miles home. I have a buddy who drives a jeep and uses one of those little tow hitch platforms for his deer. You do what you have to do. I've even seen guys out there in sedans who kill it on site, and butcher it there, placing the meat in a cooler. Don't know how they handled the tagging, checking of it but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. The guys I have seen had heavy plastic bags for the carcass but I know that doesn't always happen and sometimes folks just drag the bones into the woods. I've never seen that happen and don't approve.
Towing it should be fine. Just make sure you lock your trailer. thieves are stealing anything metal these days.

CVG Ohio 09-14-2011 05:59 PM

Sorry to hear about your situation. Does your DMV require a trailer tag? If so the platform or just strap it on the roof tied down, that is if you do not have far to go. What ever you can do the keep it on the cheep.

CVG Ohio

Bocajnala 09-14-2011 06:10 PM

I would carry a tarp in the trunk. When you gut it, drain the body cavity really well by either picking it up and holding it, or propping it against a tree till it drains. then lay the tarp in the trunk, put deer in and fold tarp edges up and over. Then strap the trunk closed.
I've seen cars with deer across the roof, the trunk, the hood, and in the back seat. Do what ya need to, but I would certainly try the trunk.
-Jake

not the dogs 09-14-2011 06:26 PM

Thanks for the comments. All of these are great suggestions. I'm certainly never giving up hunting.Just a little down right now. You're all right. As a hunter I will always do what I have to do to get the job done. Hunting is in my blood and Lord willing I'll go every chance that I get. And JSK cargo racks is another great idea. I'll be checking on that tomorrow. Thanks to you all and hope that you'll have a great season!

SJAdventures 09-14-2011 06:38 PM

It's a job to get a deer on top of a roof rack especially if your by yourself. I would go with the tarp and the trunk idea. Hope you get called back to work soon.

jsk1968 09-14-2011 06:53 PM

SJ,the cargo rack i'm referring to goes in your reciever at the rear bumper. They come in several styles and materials. Walmart sells them pretty cheap, Lowes has a nice aluminum one. We have one on the rear of our 4x4 van for surffishing. Ours is a 2", i'm pretty sure they make them for the smaller reciever hitch as well. Just make sure you put the reflectors on that come with it. They can be hard to see at night. NTD, good luck to you as well, hope you get it worked out.

Gromky 09-15-2011 10:04 PM

You can get a fold-up trailer from Harbor Freight for something like $250 if you get a coupon online. I think there's a cheaper, smaller version, but I've beat the crap out of the one they sell that's 8'x4' with 12" wheels. I pull it with an Accord, and it's hauled more branches, manure, and random lawn waste than you'd believe.

You have to put it together, but the cheap self-assemble trailers work, if you can get close enough to your hunting area.

gonewest 09-16-2011 08:57 PM

I knew some people that pulled their 14ft boat and trailer with them when they went to their deer camp. They could put alot of stuff in the boat and they had as many as 2 bucks and 2 does in the boat for the ride home.