Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Which of these common practices do you consider cheating?
Bait, corn, salt blocks, etc
24.39%
Game Cameras
1.22%
Cover Scent
0%
All of the them
1.22%
None of them
74.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

WHICH one is cheating?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Hard to answer.
I selected all of the above as it would apply to my hunting. Does not mean I consider it cheating for others to use whatever advantage possible.
My kind of hunting: lots of stateland nearby, have my own land that holds deer and borders stateland.
Most lands that have deer near me are fairly densely populated. If I cannot get close to the deer. Its usually my doing. Not that there aren't deer around. Also I don't NEED to hunt for food.
I can't compare my hunting to someone who unts 100k acres that's sparsely populated.
As for ethics behind baiting and the law.
Law isn't for everyone and every situation. Its up to you to decide what your doing is legal and ethical.
Example I will use is bearded hens.
Most states allow taking bearded hens not because they want you to. But because they don't want few to get penalized if law stated only toms.
If you knowingly take a bearded hen, yes its legal. But I wouldn't consider it ethical.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Spike

How is any of it cheating? God gave them their senses of smell sight and hearing. God gave me the ability to reason and creative thinking. We are the top of the food chain because of it. Bait, take pictures and trick them. It is all fair play.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

We all cheat...
Unless you are running animals down on foot and killing them with your bare hands or teeth then yep, you are cheating to a certain extent. LOL! I always love the guys who claim baiting is cheating. Really? How about that rifle you are holding that allows you to kill a deer 500 yards away. Or that 4 wheeler that gets you miles farther back into the woods than you would ever be able to walk in a day. Or the tree stand that gets your scent up off the ground and puts you out a deers line of sight. Isn't that cheating too? LOL.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

none. its all about what you have grown up doing and what you think is right.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Unless you are running animals down on foot and killing them with your bare hands or teeth then yep, you are cheating to a certain extent. LOL! I always love the guys who claim baiting is cheating. Really? How about that rifle you are holding that allows you to kill a deer 500 yards away. Or that 4 wheeler that gets you miles farther back into the woods than you would ever be able to walk in a day. Or the tree stand that gets your scent up off the ground and puts you out a deers line of sight. Isn't that cheating too? LOL.

I disagree. How is using our talents cheating? We don't demand that deer only use skills we have. Why should we feel like
we need to dumb ourselves down to give them a chance. If I get winded by a buck I don't stand up and yell " you cheated!!"

Last edited by RYANINMICHIGAN; 09-14-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Damn auto correct
Old 09-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

none of the above .
Old 09-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN
I disagree. How is using our talents cheating? We don't demand that deer only use skills we have. Why should we feel like we need to dumb ourselves down to give them a chance. If I gay winded by a buck I don't stand up and yell " you cheated!!"
what is gay winded ? I am having all kinds of wierd thoughts LOL
Old 09-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter
what is gay winded ? I am having all kinds of wierd thoughts LOL
Ha ha fixed. Damn auto correct
Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Spike

take the law aspect out of it...done let the law influence YOUR answer. How do you feel? Personally I feel that their is no shame in any of it.... WE ARE THE TOP OF GODS CREATION ON THIS PLANET
Old 09-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

if someone thinks that any of those are cheating, then they dont need to hunt with anything but a sharp stick. that my friends is the pot callin the kettle black

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.