Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I let her walk.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default I let her walk.

Early Urban Bow season started Sept. 3 in my county. Antlerless only. I Didn't see anything opening day or Monday. Tonight after I got home I got home I hurried out to my stand AKA the kid's treehouse. At sunset I heard some shuffling in the wet leaves and eased my head around to see a small doe moving thru, She was probably one of last years fawns and I thought about it for a moment or two before I decided I would shoot her. A bird in the hand (some venison in the fridge.). I was raising my crossbow when I saw a little head pop up from the ground a few feet behind her. Then another. Two spotted fawns. So I lowered my bow and watched then for a few minutes.... they worked their way over to my meager feed plot ( I went out into the wood a month ago and raked the leaves back, then spread a mix of bird seed and fescue into the rich soil. It's just sprouts now but the deer seem to keep coming back to it.) and stayed for another 5 minutes or so. IT was getting dark so I texted my youngest to let the dog out and make some noise.
No venison in my fridge, but I did get my heart thumpin'. Maybe I'll get lucky down the road at a neighbor's land tomorrow morning.

DPV
Old 09-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Spike

Respectable for sure... I would've done the same thing, sometimes our hearts get the best of us.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Fork Horn

I always look for fawns in September before I let one fly. By late October, I am more inclined to let one fly at a doe without checking her family status, as the fawns by then are capable of taking care of themselves.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

You did a good thing, I hope you get blessed with another opportunity! Good luck
-Jake
Old 09-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Definatly made the right choice. I wouldnt have the guys to make that shot either....
Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Fork Horn

Same thing id have done good call.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Spike

I've noticed in the area I hunt in MI that every year I seem to see more and more YOUNG fawns come October. I attribute it to does still being bred way beyond November and December...due to the highly skewed buck to doe ratio. just my theory though...
Old 09-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

I do the same thing, If she has fawns with spots she gets a free pass in my book.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Admirable choice, I would have done the same thing. With any luck, you'll have another mature one come by, alone.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

im the same way..had a similar situation couple years back on ohio's opening bow weekend. couldnt help but to watch the young ones play around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.