HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer Scrapes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/349450-deer-scrapes.html)

jmheywood 09-08-2011 03:32 PM

Deer Scrapes

What do you guys think is the best approach to hunting a fresh scrape line. I hunt in S.C. and have found several fresh scrapes. Are these possibly from a young buck, I was thinking its sort of early in the year for active scrapes. Also, do you guys scout mid season and if so how much is too much. Im worried about pushing the deer from the area. Thx everyone

GTOHunter 09-08-2011 05:49 PM

Stay as scent-free as possible,wear rubber boots and spray down with some type of scent-killer so the Deer don't know they're being hunted and don't over-hunt Your area.I would put a trail camera over looking the best scrape to see whats hitting it and the time of day they are traveling...You'd be surprised at how many Bucks and Does will put their scent down and check the scrape.Some times the Deer will just pass thru and go on their way...if Your start a day-time scent dripper or even spray some Dominant Buck Urine or Doe Pee on the scrape the Deer may spend more time and You'll get a shot at a nice Buck or Doe?

Jmp51483 09-08-2011 05:54 PM

90% of the time scrapes are hit at night time, I spent many years hunting scrapes without luck. You're better off hunting a rub line or feeding area in my opinion.

Deepsouthdeerjunky 09-08-2011 08:35 PM

espesially during the rut you can try and get on the downwind side of a scrape line... especially if these srapes are on ridge tops or field edges.. sure a buck may walk right up to a scrape but typically only after he has checked it from a distance, ESPECIALLY in heavily hunted areas... they will walk down wind of their scrape line to check them more often than not rather than just walking up to the scrape itself...
find a well traveled trail that runs along with the srape line about 75 to 100 yrds of the line... if you can find a rub line that meets this criteria u r in business... get on the down wind side of tht trail one day on the right wind and if they bucks are cruising you put urself in a good position to make it happen

trmichels 09-11-2011 05:50 PM

Reseach suggests that the deer with the higher testosterone levels, will srcape first, which means older deer, beause they usually have higher testosterone levels early in the seson than younger deer. It just makes sense, that way they get to breed nore does, withot having to fight for them.

If they are older bucks, they got older by being smart and wary, meaning you have to be very good - at avoiding them catching you.

Jmp51483 09-11-2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by trmichels (Post 3846256)
Reseach suggests that the deer with the higher testosterone levels, will srcape first, which means older deer, beause they usually have higher testosterone levels early in the seson than younger deer. It just makes sense, that way they get to breed nore does, withot having to fight for them.

If they are older bucks, they got older by being smart and wary, meaning you have to be very good - at avoiding them catching you.

Hey TR,

Have you noticed any truth to my earlier post? In regards to scrapes generally being visited at night? Wanna know if I need to change my hunting techniques :)

huntertim214 09-12-2011 07:14 AM

Last season I put a camera on a field edge scrape on a high pressure farm i had permisson to hunt. The scrape was on the edge of a green field coming out of a thick swamp bedding area. It was only an 80 acre piece of property and it bordered public ground (HIGH PRESSURE). The scrape appeared to be a community scrape because it was well used, not just a few swipes by a passing buck. So on the camera I got pictures of 22 different bucks in about 3 weeks, only 2 of which were shooters (130" or better) and 100% of the buck pictures were between midnight and 4 am. Ended up shooting a decent buck off the farm, but had no pictures of him at all...for what it's worth.

Jmp51483 09-12-2011 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by huntertim214 (Post 3846426)
Last season I put a camera on a field edge scrape on a high pressure farm i had permisson to hunt. The scrape was on the edge of a green field coming out of a thick swamp bedding area. It was only an 80 acre piece of property and it bordered public ground (HIGH PRESSURE). The scrape appeared to be a community scrape because it was well used, not just a few swipes by a passing buck. So on the camera I got pictures of 22 different bucks in about 3 weeks, only 2 of which were shooters (130" or better) and 100% of the buck pictures were between midnight and 4 am. Ended up shooting a decent buck off the farm, but had no pictures of him at all...for what it's worth.

Yep echoing my general findings also... good deal thanks!

Mojotex 09-12-2011 07:26 AM

In 40+ years of hunting white tail deer, I have killed only 6 bucks while they were actively working scrape lines or rubbing trees. I do often set up around such sign, but am more of a "bed-to food - to bed" trail hunter.