Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting ethics

Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where in WI you grow up?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:24 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

If it's legal, decide for yourself. I have no problem with it. I stand hunt. I still hunt. I have done drives. I have taken deer by setting up where the deer are likely to run from folks running dogs. I have used sexual attractants. I have grunted deer in and used calls to try to trick a Doe into thinking her lost fawn is me.
My objective is to harvest an animal. Could I buy the meat cheaper? probably. But I want to harvest the animal myself.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Here, baiting is illegal. Thus, like deerjacking, it is not only unethical but illlegal. I know that many states and provinces allow artificial baiting. Funny how by crossing a border, it is now legal and ethical!
As I mentioned on another thread, I have been in the situation of needing to put meat on our table, and ( not proud of it) shot my deer over artifical bait- within legal season, times, limits, etc., but still illegal jsut the same. For a long time now not needing to rely on the meat, I prefer still hunting or stands in areas I have scouted for sign and natural feed crops. I also have (and do every chance I can get) spring hunt bear in Canada over baits. I love it, its exciting and relaxing. You usuallly are able to see multiple animals of an animal not consistently found by other means. But when you decide to shoot, it is no challenge. Known distances, comfortable rests, bang. Ethically of course it is no different than bait shooting deer. It can not be denied (and the origiinator of this thread admits) that bait hunting is efficient...but not skilfull.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, whatever. I picked up a lot of fresh road kills for the meat and never used bait. Now that is really cost effective!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:14 AM
Typical Buck

good one oaktree30, you layed out the bait and look how many showed up...LOL your freezer is full by now..
Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Baiting is not legal in Il. But I got to tell ya, when bow season is coming to a close and you haven't had 1 dang shot at a deer( any deer) , it sure would be nice to try. Got a drawer full of unfilled archery tags mostly from my early days of hunting.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Spike

Am I the only one that can see the diference between leagal and ethical? I do what I do and judge no one based on what they do as long is it is put to good use. Do I hunt over bait? In lower MI yep, do I kill deer? Yep. Do I up north? Yep. Do I kill deer? Yes sir! To question someones ability because they hunt over bait is crazy. You have no idea what conditions they are hunting under.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Question Hey Ryan

Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN
Am I the only one that can see the diference between leagal and ethical? I do what I do and judge no one based on what they do as long is it is put to good use. Do I hunt over bait? In lower MI yep, do I kill deer? Yep. Do I up north? Yep. Do I kill deer? Yes sir! To question someones ability because they hunt over bait is crazy. You have no idea what conditions they are hunting under.
When was the last time you hunted over bait in Michigan?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:56 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
good one oaktree30, you layed out the bait and look how many showed up...LOL your freezer is full by now..
I know WNYhunter...It was gettin to quite, had to get the boys riled up about something...notice I even came back and admitted I was just messin around....and they still flock to the "bait" just like a herd of deer!....Look how many jumped up on the log and preach just like I said they would....lol
Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 AM
Spike

We feed (bait) year round, due to the fact that we want to keep deer on our property. We have a lot of poachers in our part of the woods, so we need to go above and beyond to keep them here. Let us keep in mind that deer are smart, and baiting does not assure that you will harvest a deer. Deer do not go up to corn and say "oh look corn, I guess i will be casual about this meal and not care if anyone is trying to kill me" no they are just as cautious as they would be in a natural field of food. and on that note wouldnt planting a field be bating; since it did not exist before you planted it? just throwing that out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.