Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting ethics

Old 09-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

If it's legal, have at it. I'm fine with all legal methods. I don't bait because it would be ineffective where I hunt. I do keep corn out in the yard tho and see a lot of deer come to it, just so I have something to watch at the house. Nice first paragraph tho, lol. If you're gonna flame all the members at least learn how to spell "their" first
-Jake
Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Doesn't bother me at all if you bait and it's legal where you live. I also appreciate when hunters in my area bait, because I know where the mature bucks won't be. Baiting is a great way to get meat, but if you're after a trophy, not so much in most places (in my experience anyway). It usually places to much human pressure on a stand and forces the big guys to go nocturnal and/or avoid that spot. Habitual baiters make good deer bumpers in my experience (picture little bubbles in the woods that the bigger bucks maneuver around during daylight).
Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

I am from Tx where it is legal to bait. It is a very effective way of shooting does for the freezer. And in my experience bucks that many people would consider a trophy do come to the feeders. If a feeder is there all year round they become accustomed to its presence and therefore are not deer "bumpers". But on the other hand if you want the biggest and the baddest you do have to get out and foot hunt. We use feeders to cull out does and to fill the freezer every year but when it comes down to hunting for the big one a tromping thru the bushes we will go. Also very effective on hogs as a side note.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Baiting has to be one of the strangest topics in all the hunting world. Here in Alabama it is illegal to hunt over loose corn yet perfectly legal to hunt over a corn field or green patch. What's the difference? All of those things are bait placed in a specific location to attract game animals.

You have guys here that think anyone that would hunt deer over a corn feeder is a lowlife about two clicks above a child molester. Then that same guy will board a plane; fly to Canada; and shoot a bear over a bait barrel. Or fly out west and hunt antelope by sitting over the only water hole for 20 square miles. What the hell is the moral difference?

Game biologists here tow the party line and spew baseless propaganda about the potential health dangers of feeding wild game corn. But there are a couple of problems with their argument. One, it is not illegal to feed animals corn. It's only illegal to hunt over it. If the reason for it being illegal lies in the realm of wildlife health issues like disease transmission then shouldn't it be illegal to just feed wild animals corn period?
And two, there are states that have allowed baiting with things like corn for a long time and they have no more health issues with their game animals than any other state.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Spike

I do not have the time money or resources to go to some big outfitter or WMA and hunt the way Mr Internet Troll says I should. So go ahead hop up on a stump and tell me how wrong I am for baiting
Really...can we all stop beating this issue to death. You're ASKING for a negative response from people with comments like you've made. With all of the negative issues and difficult times that we as hunters face, can we simply be happy that people get the chance to hunt and introduce young people to the sport at all? If it's legal, then who cares how they hunt or why they do it...just hunt!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Spike

hahaha! I got you guys all stirred up!!!!!!!yep i was trollin!!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Spike

:b usted::bus ted::buste d: :w ave:
Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

If it is legal in your state to hunt over it the have at it and happy harvesting.

As to whether it is ethical or not, it is a by choice issue, if it is legal to do so.

As to those opposed to any baiting for any type of game. When was the last time you went fishing and caught something by not baiting your hook? And is it fair to the fish if you use artificial bait? At least with live bait, the fish gets a last supper. :P
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Spike

I dont care what another hunter does as long as it is legal. If you want to hunt for meat then do so if you want to hunt for a trophy then so be it. In NJ where i hunt baiting is legal and i will put down apples and corn regularly. As far as the meat is concerned i could care less about it. Dont get me wrong it never goes to waste i have plenty of family and friends who love it but not me. I hunt for a nice rack and trophy. There is no one who needs to hunt for food anymore but if you are a meat hunter and enjoy eating venison i dont have a problem with that to each his own. There are many different reasons people hunt and different ways of hunting. No one should judge anyone because they disagree. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

So this thread is titled "Baiting Ethics" then I'm assuming that you are not asking if it's ethical to bait but how to bait ethically. If that's the question then I'd say use something more nutritional than corn. After all, you're asking the deer to give it's life for food so corn just isn't good enough nor is a $10 mineral block or a bag of salt. I think you should buy the best deer food on the market if you want to bait ethically and put it in a place where there's plenty of water and bedding to make the deer as comfortable as possible before you put it to rest in your freezer....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.