Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting ethics

Old 09-08-2011, 04:29 AM
Spike

Default baiting ethics

Ive been lurking around this site now off and on for almost 3 years. Nice to see some of you keyboard warriors still think that your better than everybody else because of how long you've been a member here, All that shows me is that you spend more time online than you do in the woods Mr Big Bad Hunter...

Anyhow my topic of discussion to day is on Ethics. Every week or so I see people post about baiting, of course this then sparks debate from those who "stalk there prey" Lick the dirt to see if a buck has peed on it this week, those who spend thousands of hours each year hunting there prey. "Hunting over bait isn't fair" they say, "its unethical"

Ok, If I hunt solely for the meat to put in my freezer how is that unethical when all you do is hunt for sport and for the rack? Call it what you want... Its allot more ethical to take game for food, and Im sorry, if me using corn offends you, I work 2 jobs and go back to school as a full time student to put food on my table I do not have the time money or resources to go to some big outfitter or WMA and hunt the way Mr Internet Troll says I should. So go ahead hop up on a stump and tell me how wrong I am for baiting.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Spike

I have no problem with it as long as it does not go against the local hunting regulations defined by the DNR or local Fish and Wildlife Agency. The hunting purists will disagree, but to each their own.
Some of those same people that disagree with the use of corn may be the same ones using mineral blocks, deer cocaine, or planting food plots and hunting over them. This really starts splitting hairs at that point.
I bait on occasion. It is legal in my state. My time in the field is often limited and I want the best experience I can have with the time I am allotted.
I don't have a problem with it.

Fire away!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

My hunting ethics is different than yours and many others. We all make choices, and its up to you to make them choices.

I respect the deer I harvest. I however find it hard to respect a lot of hunters.

Again my choice..

You truely don't want to know what rattles around in my head like Pac-Man gobbling up pellets. chomp chomp chomp
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Spike

I think it's all a matter of what you want to do... I definitely hunt over bait and also stalk my prey here in North Carolina. The way I look at it is if it's a legal thing to do then it really isn't anyone else's business of how I go about my hunt. It always seems to go back down to the old saying "Treat others as you wish to be treated", it more people followed this incredibly simple statement we would surely have a lot less conflict in this world.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say hunt and enjoy the sport however you choose and dont worry about others but it doesnt sound like you enjoy our sport at all. (which is fine)
But there is alot of things you can do that are more time and $$ efficiant ways to put put food on the table than hunting. Pike
Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Baiting, except for turkeys, is legal in OK. i supplement the deers natural food which encourages them to hang around our properties. Deer are not shot anywhere near our feeders or in our game plots.

If baiting is legal in your state then shoot them under your feeders or near your bait piles if thats your thing.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't hunt over bait, but it's legal to hunt deer over bait here in MD, so it doesn't matter to me if someone does. I have found that piles of corn that are hunted a lot are usually avoided during legal hunting hours and I have set up on trails barely 50 yards away from the trail leading to the bait pile. The deer avoided the bait, but I took several that came my way.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by J Pike
I would say hunt and enjoy the sport however you choose and dont worry about others but it doesnt sound like you enjoy our sport at all. (which is fine)
But there is alot of things you can do that are more time and $$ efficiant ways to put put food on the table than hunting. Pike
well, ya I agree I could go to Waly-mart or Micky D's, if I want fatty greasy meat, I shoot deer because I like the leanness, its alot healthier and taste better...And who are you to say I dont enjoy the sport? Id love nothing more than spending weeks in big woods....but my family and real life come first....
Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by oaktree30
well, ya I agree I could go to Waly-mart or Micky D's, if I want fatty greasy meat, I shoot deer because I like the leanness, its alot healthier and taste better...And who are you to say I dont enjoy the sport? Id love nothing more than spending weeks in big woods....but my family and real life come first....
As for sport Its not about how big of a rack I got, its about the meat in the freezer....its nice "hunting" from my back yard with a feeder in it...however yes it would be great to actually hit the big woods camp, hunt fish etc....
Old 09-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

100% agree with the statements above, if its legal and you think its ethical then do it... However, if your just gunna come on here to start an arguement that i myself and im sure many other people on here are tired of seeing then keep your opinion about the "trolls" to yourself. Im also a full time college student and when im not in class Im on the baseball field so i feel ya on the no time situation, but i use this site to learn new tactics and get advice, not come here and start arguements.
To each his own and happy hunting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.