HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   baiting ethics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/349418-baiting-ethics.html)

oaktree30 09-08-2011 02:22 PM

lol WV, I saw a video on youtube not long ago where a guy was pouring corn and carrots out talking about how it was all about the presentation...next scene he is setting out china and candles lol....

Hope all you guys have a great season no matter how or where you hunt.

J Pike 09-08-2011 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by oaktree30 (Post 3844644)
well, ya I agree I could go to Waly-mart or Micky D's, if I want fatty greasy meat, I shoot deer because I like the leanness, its alot healthier and taste better...And who are you to say I dont enjoy the sport? Id love nothing more than spending weeks in big woods....but my family and real life come first....

Im not!! Your the one that posted that the only reason you hunt is to put food on the table. Also quit fibbing to yourself, you can buy healthy food and it still would be more time & $$ efficient than hunting to put food on the table. Pike

J Pike 09-08-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by oaktree30 (Post 3844546)
Ok, If I hunt solely for the meat to put in my freezer how is that unethical when all you do is hunt for sport and for the rack? Call it what you want... Its allot more ethical to take game for food, and Im sorry, if me using corn offends you

See your the one that said that the only reason you hunt is to put food on the table. I just said that there isnt anything wrong with that!!
Seems to me that the only reason that you started this thread was to pick fights. Pike

bigbulls 09-08-2011 06:07 PM

I think Mr. Oaktree needs to go back to lurking instead of posting.

Thunderchicken217 09-09-2011 02:29 AM

This is why hunters like us will someday lose the battle against anti hunters. It will probably not be in any of our lifetimes but for those whose lives that it would occur during I feel sorry for. Why is it that everyone has to beat this dead horse over and over again? For some crazy reason people have this great urge to somehow feel that in some part of their life that they are better or more ethical about something than someone else. All these commercials on tv about stand united with your hunting brothers and sisters and yet people are more worried about tearing the person next to them down for enjoying the same sport they do. I wonder if people who play other sports do this kind of crap and thats exactly what it is. Can you imagine an NFL lineman saying to another, you know I dont really like the way you got to the quarterback in that game. I found it unethical and quite offensive if I must say so. Come on people what the hell is wrong with you? Do you think the person who taught you how to hunt would want you bashing another hunter just for the way they decide to get a deer and if they would well then they had no business what so ever teaching someone to hunt because they sure as hell dont have a clue what its about. It always makes me laugh at a commercial such as Micheal Wadell saying welcome to the brotherhood. The brotherhood of what is my question because you can goto a local gun raffle of hunters and the room is as divided as a meeting of congress or something. All I am saying is that no way that this great sport of ours will last forever with such opionated and judgemental people tearing down its own. Go ahead and laugh if you think I'm crazy for believing that it will one day fail and believe me one day it will be gone. The only thing that will be left is a generation blaming the one before itself for why this great sport is gone. Sound familiar people about alot of other things through out history. It will not be hard for outsiders to tear down a tradition that is already being torn down inside of itself. So why doesnt everyone just worry more about topics that help us all instead of starting posts like this one.

oaktree30 09-09-2011 03:57 AM

seriously, I dont see where getting these guys fired up a bit is anything but positive, DNR is going to do what it wants....In Georgia for example its legal to hunt over bait for the first time this year, (why because of over population... YES this issue is like beating a dead horse, THEY WILL NEVER TAKE AWAY HUNTING, if anything from what Ive seen they are actually loosening the regulations in many states. If they took it away it would create massive overpopulation...Not even Al Gore :poke:could bring himself to do that...

:hit::hit::hit:

MZS 09-09-2011 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by oaktree30 (Post 3844546)
Ive been lurking around this site now off and on for almost 3 years. Nice to see some of you keyboard warriors still think that your better than everybody else because of how long you've been a member here, All that shows me is that you spend more time online than you do in the woods Mr Big Bad Hunter...

Anyhow my topic of discussion to day is on Ethics. Every week or so I see people post about baiting, of course this then sparks debate from those who "stalk there prey" Lick the dirt to see if a buck has peed on it this week, those who spend thousands of hours each year hunting there prey. "Hunting over bait isn't fair" they say, "its unethical"

Ok, If I hunt solely for the meat to put in my freezer how is that unethical when all you do is hunt for sport and for the rack? Call it what you want... Its allot more ethical to take game for food, and Im sorry, if me using corn offends you, I work 2 jobs and go back to school as a full time student to put food on my table I do not have the time money or resources to go to some big outfitter or WMA and hunt the way Mr Internet Troll says I should. So go ahead hop up on a stump and tell me how wrong I am for baiting.

I fully understand why you hunt over bait right now. You need the meat and you don't have the time. And as mentioned, baiting helps keep harvest numbers where they need to be. But at some point, perhaps in retirement, you might have the time/money and not need more than 1 deer, at most for your freezer. And then you may do much or all of your hunting without bait.

With respect to hunting only for antlers, every state and province I know of requires that you not waste the meat. So by law, trophy hunters must either use the meat themselves or donate it. Only poachers shoot deer and cut off heads for mounts leaving the rest to rot, and I doubt there are any folks like that on this forum.

m.t.hands 09-09-2011 06:03 PM

baiting in alabama is illegal but everybody is doing it, so we run hounds (which is legal) and its like setting the woods on fire, every deer in the country gets run out of its bed:barmy:

BTW j/k, i like to still hunt along trails leading to and from bedding/feeding areas with a bow in hand:s4:, but i'm not about to interfere with anyones method of legal hunting...when someone elses rights are stripped yours are next:s4:

deernutz 09-09-2011 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just got a pick of my buddy shooting a nice buck off his bait pile. I told him he over did the corn but he said, "You can never have enough of that corn stuff".

Murdy 09-09-2011 06:56 PM

Hilarious, DN
======================
I grew up in northern Wisconsin, where baiting was legal, and I did it. I now live in Illinois, where it's illegal, so I don't. I don't really see baiting as much of an ethical issue. Harvesting meat in an efficient manner is fine, so long as you use the meat. I honestly don't get the relationship between fair chase and ethics. Either its ok to kill an animal or its not--the how isn't that significant, so long as you are attempting to do it in as clean a manner as possible. Are farmers doing something wrong if they don't give a steer 3 steps before they try to kill it?