HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What do you bring deer hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/349334-what-do-you-bring-deer-hunting.html)

Shane.rawlings 09-06-2011 01:10 PM

What do you bring deer hunting?

Been a while since ive been hunting but im getting back into it,

So i was wondering what you all took along,

as far as guns, knives, what type of clothing and boots, gps, binos, and the pack to keep it in etc...

this isnt really a "whats best" thread but ive read alot of things online about what you "need" and im just wondering what average people actually take.

thanks

Jmp51483 09-06-2011 01:39 PM

Honestly, I used to carry a full pack into the woods, from paracord to an extra saw just in case. Now a days I carry only what is necessary, weapon, knife, phone, call and maybe a snack. Anything else is just
More for them to smell.

Every situation is different of course, this is my local hunting setup.

solobowhunter 09-06-2011 01:47 PM

binoculars, necessary camo clothing for surroundings and weather, bow or gun, grunt call, rattling bag, scent killer, tags and license, saw, e-z hanger to hang my bow or gun on, safety harness, rubber boots, rangefinder, and food in a zip-loc bag.

6.5x55swedish 09-06-2011 01:53 PM

It is completely situation specific, If I am hunting the family farm for whitetail than it is my 35 rem, about 3 rounds of ammo and a gatoraid. If I have to go to the bathroom or get hungry I can walk back to camp. If I get hurt somebody will find me.

If I am elk hunting in Idaho.....

huntingkidPA 09-06-2011 02:45 PM

i like to pack light. my gun, 10 rounds of ammo, snickers bar, water, knife, grunt tube, maybe some tinks, range finder or bino's on belt and cell phone.. unless you doing a couple day hike into the woods i think you should pack as light as possible.

warbirdlover 09-06-2011 03:29 PM

rifle, Buck folding knife, 10 rounds of ammo (belt pouch), LOTS of food and soda, insulin (I'm diabetic LOL), combination deer call, large plastic bag (for those "nature calls" times), cover scent.

I carry this stuff in a backpack which is always ready to go.

Gunplummer 09-06-2011 04:48 PM

I started carrying a back pack. There are certain pockets that contain things that never are removed. Tags, cord, skinning gloves, knife, compass, matches, folded paper towels, ect.. All in zip lock water proof bags. If I am in a hurry I just grab my pack and know the "must haves" will be in there.

nwwaterpolo11 09-06-2011 05:16 PM

Mil Surplus Pack with scent, food, binos, rangefinder, matches, and some basic first aid stuff. Call around the neck, knife on the hip, and phone in the pocket. Cover scent stays at the truck.

SJAdventures 09-06-2011 05:18 PM

Weapon and ammo, 2-3 knives, small limb saw, bino's, shooting sticks, little bit of TP for dropping on blood trails to mark it, compass or compass and GPS if in a bigger woods/swamp I am not familiar with, rubber coated hooks to hang the bow on in the tree, haul up rope, safety vest, bottle of water.

Jimmyt 09-06-2011 05:29 PM

I'm with gunplummer... I carry a small backpack with lots of pockets to keep things that I don't need each hunt, but might. It just makes life easier when you know you have it all the time. I also carry a bow rope at all times. There are so many different uses and if other people hunt your stands its nice to have a backup. I wear contacts so I always have my glasses with me just in case i lose one or like last year get stuck in the eye with a tree limb. Ripped the contact right out! Lol