Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do you bring deer hunting? >

What do you bring deer hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you bring deer hunting?

Old 09-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

I pack light carry a backpack. Always take rifle or bow have about 10 rounds with me. Carry a hand gun either a large revolver on my side or else my keltec in my poket. Atleast 2 knives usually 3. Bottle ofwater TP rope bandaids tylonal scent killer tinks 69 and usually a rain jacket and ALWAYS wind-proof matches. My cell phone is always in my poket
Old 09-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

A few years ago I bought myself a small backpack. The usual day i would look inside and find... Doe estrous, grunt call, hand warmers, extra flashlight, batteries, water bottle, spare gloves to gut deer, rangefinder, and clothing and boots scent free spray. extra box of slugs or any ammo for gun. If im bow hunting maybe and extra release. Nothing crazy just the essentials to be in the woods all day and maybe a few extras. On my belt I carry 2 knives, one for gutting, other for clearing twigs and sticks away. and always always always a flashlight. Alot of people criticize about the back packs but i think they are wonderful. Carrying anything other than the gun can be dangerous and when your walking long distances in rough terrain slipping is common and its is very very easy to lose stuff. the backpack reassures you that everything you brought is still there!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Not Much....

Weapon, knife, drag rope. Thats it. The more chit ya got, the more movement to utilize it. I hate movement.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on where I am hunting and the temperature. If it is going to be a cold day and even if I only have 250 yards to walk, I will pack my heavy clothes and wander out in my regular BDU pants and my base layer top. I do not want to sweat at all during my venture into the woods. I’ll never forget one of the first times I went hunting and sweated profusely on the way to my spot. It was in the mountains and cold, and it didn’t take long after settling in that I had to back out because I was shivering uncontrollably. I now pack the heavies!

Aside from packing my clothes, I pack a drag rope/harness, 3 Clif Bars wrapped in handkerchiefs (NO plastic bags, etc for me…I’d rather the deer smell fruits and grains than hear plastic!), a couple of pre-opened 5-hour energy shots for all-day hunts (getting up at 3:30am or so kills me), a knife on my belt and a spare in my pack, a COMPASS in my pocket, talc (for wind direction), firesteel, handwarmers and handwarmer muff (that way I can wear thin gloves and keep my hands warm in the muff so I’m ready to shoot immediately [no thick gloves to mess with or “trigger finger thingy” to peel back, etc]), binos on a bino harness, and a pad to sit on ‘cause I don’t have a tree stand. I also have a small 4x4” soft case I clip onto my belt with all my muzzleloading stuff (power charges, primers, bullets and bullet starter).

Sounds like a lot but it’s really not. Most items are very small. I carried a grunt tube, rattle bag and estrus bleat last season, but I think I may forgo that this time. Too much crap to fool with and distracting. My first season of hunting was my best and I didn’t use any of that stuff.

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
TP for dropping on blood trails to mark it
Genius. Adding that to the list!!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Spike

Like everyone it depends on where I am hunting. If my normal place? a couple shells and the shotgun. Thats it. If I am in the UP Back with enough of what I need to stay the night if need be.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Spike

Default Attitude!!!

I have been fortunate to go on a lot of different hunts around the US and Canada. I have hunted many different animals in many different conditions.

The best thing you can bring is a positive attitude. No matter the weather or the number of animals you are seeing, etc. the most important thing is to be positive and keep a good attitude. That is my two cents. Soup du Jour!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

the list is to long to type it all out, I would rather have everything on me than be sitting in my stand wishing I had brought something.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

I walk a couple of miles into the woods to get to the deer on public land. I carry a small pack. In it at all times are a flashlight, compass, rope, TP, and some plastic bags. I also have a GPS unit and my phone even though I need to be on the road for the phone to have reception.

I carry two mags and 6-8 more rounds for my gun. Not certain why the extra rounds, I've never even fired a full mag hunting in over a decade so the spare clip really is enough.

I also carry food and water.

In the gun season I add hand warmers, hand pouch (hand warmer for my shooting hand), radio, and a small camera.

When you walk two miles or more back into the woods, you pack for the long haul of the day. You enter the woods in pitch black, and are not coming out until the light is gone. That is unless you are bringing out a deer, or are sick.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:39 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I have gotten lost on an easy short walk from the car....I have fallen and hurt myself. So I pack water, emergency blanket(the mylar type),fire, blade or two, led flashlight, cellphone. Handgun. I usually also am carrying my climbing stand.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

depends if i'm going on an adventure into the 10's of miles of untouched wilderness that borders my hunting land...or if im just going into the stand.