Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

After the kill!

Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Spike

Default After the kill!

Alright, I've always wondered what everyone else does with their deer after it's been gutted and in the truck. Do you take it to the Processor, or do you process it yourself? If you take it to the processor, how much do you pay, and what do you usually have them do to your meat (Jerkey, steaks, sausage, ect.)? I'm actually looking at doing my own this year and it will be my first. Is it as hard as people make it out to be, and is it worth it? I can see how it saves money, and would deffinately teach me a great skill. Just curious what everyone else does, and if you have a particular recipe that's insane, and that's not a SECRET recipe, please share! Thanks, and I really appreciate your time!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

I've been cutting my own for the last 9 years. Also these past few years I've been cutting friends and relatives too. I do about 10-15 a year the last few years. I keep it pretty simple. I cut steaks, roasts and then ground meat for burger and ground meat I use in my sausage, bologna, and jerky. The sausage bologna and jerky is ground then frozen and I use it throughout the year to make batches of whatever. The rest is used. I typically mix my burger with either pork ends ( just cut off fat from a butcher I know that he gives me) or bacon, depending on what the person wants. This adds some fat and grease while cooking to the burger.
If you plan to cut your own you need a few things. A few good, sharp, quality knives. These make a world of difference I promise. Freezer paper to wrap everything. And a grinder. YOu can also take your deboned meat to a butcher and they'll grind it for you typically if you don't have access to a grinder.
I can't tell ya how much it costs to pay now, probably 60 dollars or so.
Hope this helps!
-Jake
Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion its definately worth learning to do yourself. I have been told that processing a deer is similar to lamb. I unfortunately do not have all of the equipement that I need, such as grinder and sausage stuffer. So I end up with steaks, jerky, roasts, etc. It isn't all that tough. Like most things it takes practice to get good at it. I'm still a little green and could do a better job, but I'm hoping that by next year I will be able to set up on site processing for friends. If you can't afford to purchase game processing vidoes, there are a few on youtube.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a buddy who has fallen on hard times the past few years. He's an avid hunter but can't get enough time to hunt to bring home much. He's always processed his own deer. I worked out a deal with him that if I can get a few pounds of jerky and a few steaks from the back straps he can have the rest.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always processed my own deer. Steaks, roasts, the scraps get ground into burger. You don't need a lot of equipment. A block and tackle and a good fillet knife is all I use to bone out and cut up the whole thing. I helped my neighbor do a couple of his deer, now he does it himself too.
I tend to make my ground meat straight venison. The burgers seem to stay together, and no shrinkage.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

I bought the 3/4hp meat grinder and cuber from Cabelas. I now do my own meat grinding and steak cubing. I clean my own deer and have never taken one to a processer. My grandfather was a taxidermist so I had a good teacher. There are alot of deer hunters in your area I'm sure that can guide you through the process. What is my favorite simple recipe for deer? A backstrap cut into 1 inch steaks, covered on both sides with olive oil and Chicago steak seasoning and grilled medium rare. Good eating.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a buddy who is a butcher and processes friend's deer on the side. $35 for basic steaks and grind and he even puts extra beef fat in the grind. Also it's pretty much on the way home from where I usually hunt. Hard to justify doing it myself at that price.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

I cut my own up for the most part, but once in a while, if I'm busy with other things or for the convenience, I'll have one cut up for me. Cost really depends on what you want them to do, from a simple break down, wrap, and grind, to make (and cure/smoke) sausage.
I've worked in a couple commercial sausage kitchens. In my opinion, it is a substantial investment to get what you need to make sausage (grinder & stuffer-or a combo unit, smoker (unless you are just making fresh sausage)), and then there's a learning curve on making good sausage. Plus, when you go to make it, you will have to purchase certain supplies (spice, casings, beef/pork fat to mix in). So basically, what I'm saying is unless you want to make sausage as a hobby, it's not necessarily going to be a good investment from a money saving point of view. It takes a long time to recoup the investment (unless, I suppose, you make a very large quantity each year).
I prefer to cut mine up and take my deboned meat in to a sausage maker to have sausage made. The investment on cutting equipment in my opinion makes sense financially. All you really need is a couple good knifes, a large cutting board, some wrap, and a gambrel is really nice. A vacuum packer is a nice addition that will save some meat in the long run, but it is a luxury (I use mine for more than just game). I also have a dehydrator, which I use to make jerky out of thinly sliced pieces of meat (let a chunk sit in the freezer for about a half hour befor you slice it and you'll be able to slice it thinner).
Cutting it up and bringing meat in to a sausage maker has the added advantage of letting you pick your sausage maker. Again, IMHO, most guys who cut up deer aren't as good of sausage makers as guys who make sausage as their job. Many of these guys will only take deboned deer (including the 2 i worked for).
Cutting it up yourself isn't that hard, theres some good videos on Youtube. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cut it up myself, My grandfather taught me how so the last 8 years i've been doing them myself, its very simple once you get the hang of it, i pretty much just quarter it up then cut from there, depends what you like to do with it, the hind quarters i cut some nice ball chunks out and put them in the crock pot and it them on buns, its like a shredded beef or pork sandwich, very good! Good luck!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Spike

Thanks for everyones input. Seems like I'm going to do it on my own! I've also been wondering if it was better to use a smoker or an oven for Jerkey. If it's not going to make a difference in the end result then I'll use the oven, but if the smoker makes a big difference I'll just build a big plywood smoker. What are your thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.