Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
RATE THIS DEER - New Trail Cam pic >

RATE THIS DEER - New Trail Cam pic

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

RATE THIS DEER - New Trail Cam pic

Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TURKEY FAN
You should let him grow
Now that will be a tough one. This is on public land and while there are good bucks there, I'd say this one is in the top 10% as far as the rack goes.

I got a monster bodied buck 2 years ago there but he was OLD and his rack was on the decline.

This guy would by far be my best buck and the only way I could let him walk was if a bigger one was behind him. lol

Originally Posted by VA5326
Hunting is fun, or so it should be. I'm gonna say 153 3/4. He looks like a doozy. Good luck hunting him. I hope to see him in a success thread sometime later this year. If you take him or let him go is totally up to you which is why we hunt.

VA
I can promise you if I give him a dirt nap, I'll post the pics in this thread!

I went back out today and set up another trail cam. I won't be back out there until bow season begins.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was checking my trail cam pics one last time before deleting the non-deer shots and noticed this.

What is it? Knee jerk reaction is coyote...but it doesn't look right. Is it a fox, bobcat, baby kangaroo? lol
Attached Thumbnails RATE THIS DEER - New Trail Cam pic-mdgc0010.jpg  
Old 09-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck, but it will only score as a 4x4. The extra point will be a deduction. I would say 135- 140 at the most.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
Nice buck, but it will only score as a 4x4. The extra point will be a deduction. I would say 135- 140 at the most.
My guess was upper 130's...maybe lower 140's. Didn't know about a deduction for the extra point....but I've never had one scored.

It would still be my biggest buck.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I had to go back and look again, I first thought around 115 and then I saw some of the other guesses. After he loses his velvet, the rack won't be so massive looking, I would still say 115-125.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by isatarak
Well, I had to go back and look again, I first thought around 115 and then I saw some of the other guesses. After he loses his velvet, the rack won't be so massive looking, I would still say 115-125.
I always like getting peoples thoughts on deer. Regardless of what he scores, if I see him during the season, I'm going to try and stick him.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

PW nice buck for sure but he is 125 to 130 and I'll tell you why. What people don't realize is that a 150 8 pointer is a monster 8. This deer is impressive but is no monster by any means.

Look at the pics below. This is a 150" eight pointer. He is really tall and wide with good mass all the way through. This buck is quite a bit bigger then the deer you have on camera. This deer is also about 8 years old. Look at his Roman nose compared to the deer next to him. The year before this deer was close to 180" and was main frame 12 pointer. He fell off the cliff in a year. He's the deer in the middle. You definitely have a nice deer there.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Outstanding display birddog.....I don't think he's 150+ either. I don't think his main beams are long enough and he doesn't have enough inside spread to score that high.

I just hope I get to meet him in person. =)
Old 09-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

PW any public land buck is a stud in my book. When I first started hunting that's all I had access to was public land and my good buddy and I have shot some nice deer on public land. Hard to let them grow old on public land because the next guy he walks by probably won't let him go. Go get him and post pics when you do. Good luck brother.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. I have ZERO private land to hunt. My only other option is a lease.....and they just too expensive!