Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Where were you on 9/11 hunters? For book project >

Where were you on 9/11 hunters? For book project

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where were you on 9/11 hunters? For book project

Old 08-09-2003, 02:08 PM

Default Where were you on 9/11 hunters? For book project

Greetings from Colorado

I am working on a book project called " Where were you on 9/11" this project will share stories and personal experiences of hunters in the field, and those fishing
I am currently working on a book project g and finding out how the world changed in a matter of a few hours back in New York City. Where were you, what were you doing and how did you react when you heard the terrible news when you returned from the field or waters?

There is no compensation for your submission, but lets tell the world we as hunters and fishing people that we were just as shocked as the rest of America. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Please send submissions to:
Dr. Michael Brooks
11677 west 62nd Ave. #10
Arvada, Colorado 80004

Or e-mail to:
[email protected]
Old 08-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Where were you on 9/11 hunters? For book project

Cool subject-good choice.

I was at Chicago' s O' Hare International Airport, in the South cargo Area, South Access Road at Air France Cargo. My partner & I were wrapping up our fire hose and apparatus after testing fire pumps there that morning. A maintenance worker came out of the building and told us the news said a plane had crashed into one of the twin towers. He didn' t know much at this point so we all figured it was probobly a small plane like a Cessna or such.

A short time later he came out and said that a SECOND plane had hit the other tower and IT WASN' T a Cessna, first or second plane.

Then came news of the other two planes, the Pentagon and the intentional ground crash.

As we finished the coffee break that we started after wrapping up our apparatus, my partner and I looked at each other and wondered aloud, " If all this stuff is taking place with airplanes.........I don' t think being here at the airport is such a good idea.........we got outta there and listened to the radio news for the next couple hours in amazement."

..................that is where I was at.

MAY GOD BLESS THE INNOCENT SOULS WHO WERE TAKEN FROM US THAT DAY, BOTH IN THE STRUCTURES THEMSELVES AND THE EMERGENCY RESPONSE PERSONNEL WHO FEARLESSLY RESPONDED TO THE TRAGEDY.

(AND MAY THE HEARTLESS & COWARDLY INDIVIDUALS WHO PERPETRATED THESE ACTS (AND THOSE THAT WILL SURELY FOLLOW, RECEIVE THEIR DUE..............IN THE ETERNAL FIRES OF H-E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS!!!!)

Uncle Matt (in IL)
" Share time with your children and your God in the great outdoors!"
Old 08-09-2003, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don' t you think that the events that happened that day have been exploited enough? We don' t need another book, tv show, coffee cup or t-shirt to remind us that there are vultures out there making money from misery.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:24 PM

I went to school that morning, like always. It was Tuesday, chuch day at my Catholic school. At Mass, they prayed for the people that died in the plane crashes at the WTC. I thought a couple cessna' s hit each other near the Towers. We walked back over to school, got into math class, and the secretary ran in, telling us to turn on the radio or TV. We found out the news, we discussed it for about an hour. One of my teachers was crying because her brother worked at the Pentagon or a building near it. We gave up our lunch period to watch TV.

GOD BLESS THE PEOPLE WHO DIED AND THEIR FAMALIES.

slayer
Old 08-10-2003, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was in my office at an abandoned Radio site in Daglonega Ga. We got the word shortly after the first aircraft hit and listened on the radio as more details came in. I called my Boss and got permission to let everyone go home for the remainder of the day since nothing was going to get done anyway.
I went to the house and started packing my gear, I was on the AT&T Network Disaster Recovery Team at the time. I was notified to deploy at about 4:30 PM and at 9:30 PM met 10 other team members at a Mall near I85 for the trip to NY.
We arrived the next afternoon at about 2:30PM and were informed to get a meal and standby for more information. About sundown we had a location to set up our equipment on the New Jersey side of the Hudson River about a mile from the WTC site. We moved in and worked through the night getting equipment positioned and ready to restore the switch lost at the WTC. Part of the crew took a ECV (Emergency Communicatiuons Vehicle) into Manhattan and got it set up at NYPD Headquarters to provide telephone service to the command center there. Within 72 hours we had restored the switching capability lost and set in for the long haul of providing service until permanent restorations could be made. I was there for about four weeks then had to leave due to a problem with my leg.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:40 AM

I was right across the river from the WTC, working in Jersey City in the 101 Hudson St. building, tallest building in NJ. After the 1st plane hit I could only see the opposite side of the building from the impact, at the time i thought that' s where the plane hit and thought it was some freak accident. Like a Cessna or something hit it. i' d have to say that until the 2nd plane hit nobody i was with really thought it was a terrorist attack. Then, when the second plane hit, everyone knew something was up and evacuated our building. we were on the riverfornt and it was surreal. i didn' t know what was going on. did they fly in from Newark, JFK or Laguardia? Were they stolen planes, or hijacked? it was frightening not knowing what was happening. the Jersey City police rode down on motorcycles and cleared everyone back from the river' s edge.

My commute to work required me driving to Liberty State Park and taking the Hudon-Bergen light rail from there to my office, however, after the attack the rails shut down. people were walking/running, following the tracks back to the Park and Ride which is about 1-2 miles away. I was walking along the tracks when the first tower collapsed. Those building were so massive and so are the ones around them. when i saw it fall and the 40-50 story buildings next to it vansih in the dust and ash i thought " i just saw thousands of people just die" made me sick, people along the tracks and waiting at stations just screamed and i remember seeing a guy run from a warehouse on Jersey Ave start yelling " see, that' s what you get when you let these people in the country" it was crazy. it was horrible. when i got to my car i could clearly see only 1 tower standing, all the time i worked in Jersey City it was two towers that dominated the landscape. then there was only one. i turned on the radio in my car and heard the Pentagon was hit and then heard that the Capitol Building in DC was bombed, the later turned out to be false but at the time i didn' t know. I drove up onto the Newark Bay extension of the turnpike and had to drive through the toll booth. in my rear view mirror i see smoke and a single tower standing and yet i still go through the everyday act of getting the toll ticket from the guy working at the toll booth. i didn' t say anything to him and he didn' t say anything to me but i' m sure the look in our eyes spoke volumes.

As i drove down the turnpike i felt i was the only car on the road , i was haulling trying to get home to call my family and my fiance. as i drove south on the turnpike i saw state troopers and ambulances drving north with the lights and sirens on. it still makes me sick, it was the worst thing to ever happen to this country.

I went back to work on 9/13 and for the next 2-3 months the riverfornt in Jersey City was set up to ferry volunteers and workers over to the WTC to clean up. smoke still rose from that site until the end of October.

i was definitely in a daze for a while after 9/11, and seeing it everyday was a terrible reminder. I was so relieved to get out for the opening day of squirrel/grouse in Pa. i' ll never forget that day either, it was so relaxing and enjoyable. i saw one grouse (missed it) and got a couple squirrels but even if i came home with an empty game bag i' d still always remember that trip and one of the best. Being able to get out into the woods for a saturday in the fall is some of the best medicine in the world.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:45 PM

Doc,
I was standing in my living room, just home from the Hospital after having shoulder surgery. As I was in a pillow cast, no chance to hunt that year, I spent many a day watching, awe struck. It made me aware how defenceless we were against fanatics like that.
Russ
Old 08-11-2003, 03:33 AM

Hmmm after pulling a late shift at work I was asleep in bed til my wife phoned from work & told me to turn on the TV! I have to agree with Frizzellr thought...no need for a book!!! Everything that can be said about 9/11 has been said....it' s time to move on!!!!!!!!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 08-11-2003, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I was at work in Springfield Va. which is about 5 miles as the crow flies from the Pentagon, I heard on the radio about the towers being hit and is was like the whole world stopped, everyone that had a radio had the news turned on. Well I went outside the building to smoke a cigarrete and talk with frinds about what was happening, by this time they knew it was a terrorist attack.

Well as we were standing there talking we saw an airliner coming fast and low out of the east flying west, me and a friend looked at each other and one of us said, " Man I figured they would be diverting air traffic away from Reagan airport, but that plane is way out of any logical flight path!" It flew right over us and banked hard towards the north. Well I finished my cigarrete and went back inside. I had barely sat down when the radio reported a bomb had gone off at the Pentagon! I went back outside and told my friends what had happened, they looked at me in disbeleif and siad they had heard a huge explosion from the direction the plane had flown! Just then another guy pulled into the parking lot and said " Guys I was heading North on 95 and saw a fireball to the north just before I took the exit to here!"

Well we all figured that it had to of been the plane we saw that hit the Pentagon. It was! We all felt pretty weird knowing that the very plane that had hit the Pentagon had flown right over us. To this day every time we hear a plane outside the building or see one flying low we all get a sick feeling in our stomachs.

I left work early to be with my family, they were worried sick about me because they had no idea what else may happen. The drive home was eirie, everyone was driving fast, but very cautiously. My step-daughter had a freind at school whose dad was killed in the Pentagon, the heart breaker was the girls mother had left the whole family the year before and no one knew where the mother had gone.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

On Sept 9th I arrived back at Newark airport from my trip to Alaska. The landing pattern we took was up the NJ Turnpike which passes by the Twin Towers which are no more than 10 miles away. I got to see them out my window for one last time. On the 10th I returned back to Newark airport for my late baggage. On the 11th I returned back to work with pictures of my trip when we first heard the news. Someone said it was a fire. Another person said a small plane crashed. We quickly tuned into a radio news station and realized what was happening. A large plane had hit the towers...Then a second plane hit. What the hell is happening?? A few people here have family that work in Manhatten. I' ll never forget the fear in their faces. Thank God they were ok. The radio went silent as if someone had cut the plug. We quickly tuned to another station to hear " Its gone, Its gone" one of the towers has collapsed. We were scared huddled around the office radio. Is this a war? an attack? What is going on!!!!!! I step outside just in time to hear the roar of 2 F-16' S screaming overhead. Now I was scared too. The news just kept getting worse. Pentagon hit, second tower falling, another plane down in PA, possibility of more planes in the sky... I ran home lunchtime to watch the news on TV. I was in shock when I saw the images. I felt so sick. I brought back a small tv to the office. A few folks had tears in their eyes watching the screen. We all left at 3 that day. I watched the news till atleast 4 AM trying to get answers.

I live and work 30 miles from ground zero.....

This day is etched in my mind forever.

Quick Reply: Where were you on 9/11 hunters? For book project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.