HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How would you hunt this? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/348883-how-would-you-hunt.html)

jrbsr 08-29-2011 05:15 AM

How would you hunt this?

How would you hunt this small tract of land?
It is 31 acres total.
North is up.
The yellow x is where I have had the trail cam.
The red x is where buck rubs are.
The green line is their travel routes.
The red arrows are where the land sloops downward.

Thank You.

[email protected] 08-29-2011 05:22 AM

Wind?

Your biggest challenge will be the wind. Which direction does it typically blow from in the fall?

huntingkidPA 08-29-2011 05:25 AM

i would try to walk the ridges, or the higher ground from where there travel routes are. Still hunt it. Spot and Stalk is also good. On hot days or going through a a bit of time with no rain im sure you could sit over the watering hole or near the creek and get some action. do you know if they bed on that slice of property?

jrbsr 08-29-2011 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 3839909)
Your biggest challenge will be the wind. Which direction does it typically blow from in the fall?

The fall winds here are North East, and South West.

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA (Post 3839910)
i would try to walk the ridges, or the higher ground from where there travel routes are. Still hunt it. Spot and Stalk is also good. On hot days or going through a a bit of time with no rain im sure you could sit over the watering hole or near the creek and get some action. do you know if they bed on that slice of property?

I have not found any bedding areas; they seem to just funnel through.

Jmp51483 08-29-2011 07:40 AM

I'm really like the area right where you put your trail cam... Have you gotten pictures off of it yet?

[email protected] 08-29-2011 02:18 PM

Revised map

1 Attachment(s)
I think you have a really good set up here. After you get to know how (and more importantly when) the deer move through the place you should be set. I gave some suggestions based on the information you provided. I would only hunt the pink stand with a solid east wind. I would also try to stay on top or on the mid-slope. I've never had good luck hunting in bottoms (wind changes too much). Hope this helps. I really like the pinch on the south. Do you know what is across the fence? It would also be helpful to know how they enter from the southwest.

madvilledoc 08-29-2011 06:47 PM

There's not really enough information to properly answer you here. 31 acres is not a lot and isn't going to contain your herd. What does the surrounding property look like? Where are the primary food sources? Bedding areas? Where is your access points to the property (i.e. primary access and then secondary entry points). Any food plots? How are the deer utilizing your property? How steep is the terrain? etc.

Once you know some specifics, it will be easier to make a plan.

sureroof 08-29-2011 07:25 PM

What is planted in the big field along the interstate sw of you?

Pete

Centauri 08-29-2011 07:52 PM

Hunt the bottom of the valley along the travel routes. That is most likely the path of least resistance.