Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Idea for SCENT ELIMINATOR

Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Well, if I understand it correcly, it will not release the perfume, because of the hydrophilic properties, until water is added to it, or it is heated to the point where it becomes gaseous, but I could be wrong. Maybe this is why that manufacturer is working to get a new hunter's version???

If it smells, don't use it, and we should all look for a version that has no perfume> i'm thinking the stuff used in hospitals on wound care may be perfume free. Anyone now a medical supply salesman???

If they have a flower smelling verion it migh still work. Anyoen dar to field test it? Possibly on pened deer first. Someoen call a dee urine manufacturer or breeder.

Thyis iw how it is done. lt is called research and development. Watch, one of you guys will figure it out - and make a million bucks selling it.
But, I have a friend who is working on an even better ide, byut it may not be out until next year.

Here is an article I wrote a few years ago, which is stilll valid today.

Want to reduce odors while you hunt? Here is what you can do.

It is bacteria on the skin that produces the odor associated with human perspiration. What scent elimination products and clothing are trying to do is eliminate at least that smell. Obviously the best way to do that is to eliminate the bacteria; and bacteria needs moisture to grow. So - to reduce human perspiration body odor:

1. Use antibacterial soaps and shampoo, (that don't smell) every time - before you hunt.

2. Use an antibacterial spray, gel or lotion that will kill re-growth bacteria (it will only take an hour or more for bacteria to regrow and start to smell), on your clothing, and/or on you body (in areas where it is most likely to grow [which are areas that contain moisture]) such as your armpits, butt, groin and head, and beard (if you have one). This includes Scent Killer (by Wildlife Research), Sport Wash and N O Dor (by Atsko/Sno-Seal), Scent Shield (by Robinson Laboratories)

3. Use an unscented antibacterial deodorant (to reduce any odors you do produce later on - after bacterial re-growth).

4. Wear moisture wicking underwear, such as polypropelene, Under Amror etc. To keep body moisture to a minimum (so bacterial growth is slowed down)

5. Wear clothing with antibacterials, such as triclosan, mycosan, copper or silver, to kill re-growth bacteria (while you hunt). Clothing designed to kill bacteria, using mycosan, triclosan or silver, needs to be worn against the skin.

6.You can make your clothes smell like the local surroundings by putting them in an odor free container (paper bag), and throwing in leaves, needles or dirt form the area you hunt, when you get there.

7. Do not wear your hunting clothes, boots, gloves or hat until you get out of your vehicle, or wear them to the gas station or restaurant before you hunt, you may pick up scents that will spook the deer.

Activated carbon clothing (depending on how well it covers the entire surface of the fabric, and how thick of a layer it is) can help to reduce human perspiration (and other) odors, but probably only for 1-4 hours after it is first put on. So why waste your money?

And, there are other scents you come in contact with minute by minute, urine and Lysol or other cleaning products when you stopped and took a leak, gas on the concrete when you filled up or spilled on your hand, bacon grease from eating at home or worse yet all those smells at a restaurant. Dog odor, wife’s perfume, personal medications used, bad breath, toothpaste, air freshener in the vehicle - it is endless.

I can tell you the none manufacturer is working on a way to incorporate unscented cyclodextrene and an antibacterial, to be used on clothing, which may be out this year. But, maybe not, I’ll let you know as times goes on. I also know that there are some new chemicals out of China, that are supposed to encapsulate human odor. That would help, but only with human odor. We need something all encompassing, that would help reduce (nothing can completely eliminate all odors) a broad spectrum of human associated odors.

Or, maybe we should just keep real clean using the steps above, and play the wind.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

I just got this response form a very avid whitetailhunter on teh Ontaio Bucks Talk Forum - whom I trus completely.

I regularily use fabreeze on my hunting clothes and most people scoffed when I mentioned it. It's much cheaper than the marketed stuff. Just be sure to use the unscented variety.
Maybe we can use it.

T.R.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Spike

Interesting TR. I stopped using Scent-Lok long ago. Been using Scent-away products for years and have been happy w/ them. But this season I'm going to try SEEMZ. They donated their product to our deer tour folks and I will put it to the test as I will be hunting/filming for 28 days straight in multiple states. I have really high hopes for this product as I've heard some good things about it from people I trust.

Re: Febreeze - I actually used it a few years ago to soak my boots in. Worked pretty well from what I could tell.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by huntography
Interesting TR. I stopped using Scent-Lok long ago. .
I didn't, but then again I know there must be a logical explanation for so many people claiming it works. I believe I understand why and I use that understanding. It works.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Spike

ALS Enterprises, Inc., owners and marketer of the Scent-LokŪ brand of scent control hunting apparel, has claimed a major victory in the long-standing class action lawsuit that challenged the products’ ability to control human odor. After four years of litigation, which was brought by a group of five Minnesota hunters, a federal appeals court issued its decision on August 18, rejecting plaintiffs’ core allegations and overturning an injunction issued last year.

Among other things, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit noted that evidence introduced in the district court showed that carbon-containing hunting clothing dramatically outperformed non-carbon clothing at adsorbing odors: “Defendants’ expert, Dr. Hartman, conducted quantitative permeation testing and estimated that Defendants’ products ‘blocked’ ninety-six to ninety-nine percent of odor compounds, whereas non-carbon garments blocked only five to fifty-five percent.”

The Eighth Circuit also ruled that ALS’s use of the terms “odor eliminating” and “reactivation” in describing its products was not literally false, and that the district court had erred in basing “its determination of literal falsity on the most absolute of competing dictionary definitions of the word ‘eliminate.’” In support, the Court noted that “Defendants introduced evidence of substantial customer satisfaction with ALS’s Scent-LokŪ products, as well as evidence that, when those products first came on the market in the early 1990’s, numerous soaps, powders, and cover sprays were being marketed to deer hunters as ‘odor-eliminating’ products.”

The Court also ruled that “Plaintiffs led the district court into error” in entering an injunction, and ordered the dismissal of all claims for injunctive relief because “Plaintiffs failed to prove both the requisite irreparable injury and their core allegations that Defendants’ use of the terms ‘odor eliminating’ and ‘reactivation’ were literally false.”

Scent-LokŪ president and inventor of activated-carbon hunting apparel, Greg Sesselmann, commented: “We are gratified by the decision. It gives me great satisfaction that our products continue to provide hunters the ability to get close to wildlife and experience the beauty of nature like never before. At the same time, we are saddened at the burden that this lawsuit has caused our team members and their families, as well as the frustration that our retailers, field staff and sales rep organizations have experienced. We thank all of those who have stood beside us in this fight, especially our ultimate customers—people who have purchased Scent-LokŪ gear and know that it works.”

“Customers have never needed an attorney to get total satisfaction from our company.” Sesselmann remarked. “Our satisfaction level is extremely high and, based on the unsolicited testimonials that we receive and our own experience in the field, we know that Scent-LokŪ products are highly effective at reducing odors. On behalf of our retail partners, we remain focused on making the best hunting apparel in the world."

This is a press release on Aug. 19 2011 saying it does work and from my hunting experience I am a firm believer it does, taking my last two 4 1/2 year old bucks down wind.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

As i may hve sasi, we werafraid this woudl h appen, because teh lawyerss did not attack the use of activated cabon for thsi specific applicatin as well a they could hve, and did not follow up on reactivation claims enouggh.
I think we all know that it will not rduce 100% of you odors 100% of thetime, which is waht tey initially adversied, if I remember correctly.

What this means is they can go on scamming hunters - with falsehoods and half-truths, and some hunters are gullible enough to buy into that advertising. I could not say those things - when I knew they were not true. I do not see how their consciences can be clear - mine would not be.

I think what they are doing is wrong, but then it is all about the almighty dollar.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Spike

Isn't this the premise for the No Trace scent elimination clothing (now defunct) and the new Under Armor Capture scent elimination clothing?

I see the Under Armor Capture in Cabelas catalogs, but have heard no one talking about it. Their crap costs too much anyhow.

Maybe everybody just has a bad taste in their mouth from the Scentlok brouhaha.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

J.A. Hunter was an African big game guide and was paid by governments to hunt man killing animals. I think he was still active in to the 1940's. He used to sit in low trees to kill problem leapords and usually smoked cigarettes while doing so. When asked if the cats might smell the cigarette smoke he replied " If they can smell the cigarette, they can smell you". I used to trap a lot when I was a kid and you can believe it.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

what else is the whole hunting industry about. its all a joke,you must wear camo,wrong!
you must wear scentlock,wrong! you must only kill mature bucks,wrong
Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
like when you said this?
Halfbaked...man...you are a riot...Great job smoking this one out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.