Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Baiting

Old 08-31-2011, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

In Virginia, where I hunt every year, it is illegal, so no. Here in Kentucky, where I live, it is legal and I buy 250 lbs a month and keep it out behind the house year round along with a couple of deer cameras. I have only taken one deer over it and that was a very very nice 8 pointer three years ago that did not come for the corn but was chasing does that were feeding there.

Last edited by bmgillum; 08-31-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

In OH. I use 50lb. mineral/salt blocks and bags and also corn to get my bucks to step in front of my cams but dont hunt over them, I also have 30 + acres of food plots and only have hunted over them twice in the last 3 years. In PA. I put feeders out on my property with in a couple days after I harvest my buck. Pike

Wildgame X6C Pics:

Bushnell Trophy Cam Pics:

Moultrie I-40 Pics:

Moultrie M-80 Pics:

Old 09-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I do in cetrain situations. I have killed some deer on bait, but I will tell you some of my best deer were not over bait. Big bucks are big because they won't come to bait during daylight hours the majority of the time.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deernutz
Yes I do in cetrain situations. I have killed some deer on bait, but I will tell you some of my best deer were not over bait. Big bucks are big because they won't come to bait during daylight hours the majority of the time.
Sure they do! Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 09-02-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

J Pike, you got any GPS coordinates to go with those nice pictures.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

In sask. baiting is a legal and popular practice. Here baiting sites consist of salt(blocks or granular), alfalfa hay as a bed and seeds (oats, peas, barley, canola screenings, wheat, etc) Corn is rarely used here. The best placement for baits is in area where the game feel safe to come during daylight hours this is often in transition on a meadow or small opening to allow the hunter time to react and judge the animal as it approaches the bait. Bucks will use baits as a scrape around the rut to locate estrus does, therefor like a scrape they are often visited under darkness. Also they tend to hang back and circle around them in cover before committing. Being mindful of such happenings goes along way in determining bait sites, blind or stand loaction and entry upon hunting over baits. Baiting sites can be particularily productive after the peak rut or first rut has happened as bucks will be tired and in need of easier food sources. My experience has shown pining over bait sites during the rut is largely a frustrating experience or method to hunt mature bucks. As such I prefer not to bait hunt anymore, I used to as a guide and personally but just prefer other methods and don't put as much time as needed to bait. I now enjoy hunting other animals way to much to be caught solely up on whitetail bucks. Truthfully my biggest whitetails haven't been taken while employing baiting. That said I am lucky to live in an area where baiting isn't the only way to get on mature deer either.

Good luck
Old 09-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Daveboone
It is not legal in NY. No, I dont. (baiting is considered anything- food, molasses, salt, that a deer can ingest...not hunting over an established crop or natural food source).
It seems to me baiting turns hunting into just shooting... hardly a show of skill or sportsmanship.
If you think baiting turns hunting into shooting you dont know your ass from a hole in the ground. I have game feeders, salt and mineral blocks, deer cane and food plots. Basically its something to keep deer on your property instead of neighboring farms that are full of corn rows or soybeans or any other local crops. If your going to tha tI sure hope you dont hund a food plot because thats baiting or hunt a stand of oak trees because you know deer love acorns. Or is it ok if the "bait" naturally falls there? We all get on here cause we love the hunt not to badmouth others tactics.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find that hunters who hunt in states where it is illegal tend to accuse those who hunt in states where it is legal of being unethical.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used corn, mineral blocks, man made scrapes and rubs, grunt tubes and sex lures. All are effective when used at the right time. All are a form of bait in my opinion.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I'm a master baiter.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.