Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

peanut butter for deer

Old 08-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Spike

Default peanut butter for deer

I've seen posts about screwing pb jars right to a tree and cutting the bottom out. My question is, what keeps the coons and squirles from eating it. We had 3 humming bird feeders out and a coon emptied them every night so figure they could eat a jar pretty quick.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

I suppose that nothing will keep them from eating it but I have put it out just last week and it does work. If I could figure out how I posted pics before, I would post them lol. They haven't hardly touched my corn but 2 jars of peanut butter is gone
Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Spike

I must agree, it absolutely works. As far as the other critters getting a hold of it... well that's just something we have to live with unfortunately.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Would ya'll elaborate on "screwing" jars to trees? sounds interesting!!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Spike

I think I remember someone saying you could hang it from a branch using an eyebolt and cable. Anyone done this? as far as screwing to a tree, just take the lid and put a screw on the inside and attach to tree. Then screw the jar back onto the lid. Cut the bottom out of the jar so the deer can get to it. How high should I attach it though?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

Ok thanks. I got it now. I would probably put it about eye level with a deer. This is where bulk sized jars would be good!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

In the south, the dang fire ants will wrap the peanut butter up and nothing else will eat it. That is the result I had.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:07 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PREDATE
Would ya'll elaborate on "screwing" jars to trees? sounds interesting!!
One way you could do this is to simply take off the lid and fasten it to the tree with a nail or screw. Then screw the jar back on the lid.

I don't think I will try this though. Seems like it would be a terrific bear attractant.

Last edited by MZS; 08-27-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Wh7y not use a pearnut butter smelling scent, nothing to eat, but still attracts deer, same can eb said for vanilla
Old 08-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Spike

No bears or fire ants in Indiana ( I hope) LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.