Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bowhunting Workouts

Old 08-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bowhunting Workouts

Hey, I just got my first bow(just a basic single cam compound) and I'm wondering what kind of workouts I should do to strengthen my back and shoulders for drawing back the bow. Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best thing you can do is draw your bow back. Not being sarcastic at all...draw and let down several times, then rest. Repeat. Don't try to shoot too much at one time though...you may end up fostering some bad habits. You may also want to draw and hold it back as long as you can...sometimes you have to wait quite a while for the shot to present itself once you have your bow drawn.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

deffinatley drawing your bow back will help alot, as far as an actual workout i would say anything like bent over rows (or lawn mowers) would be good. Just take a dumbell in one hand, put one knee and your other hand on the bench and dangle the dumb bell straight down and pull it up to your chest, kinda like your starting your lawn mower... if youve never tried running a sprint then takin a shot with your bow right after you finish it that is something that i like to do... it rele helps your focus and it is also just plain good for you.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

pullups, pushups, and situps.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My Bowhunting Workouts

Walks and hikes; strengthens the lower body and breathing. To get in shape to carry a tree stand into and out of the woods, to easily climb a tree with a tree stand, strengthens the legs while taking a standing bow shot.

Small five pound weights to strengthen the back and arms. Of course, weight training is necessary for anyone with trouble drawing the sting on the bow, to full extension.

One exercise is to hold the weights at my side and slowly cross them under my chin. Then taking the weights back to my side. Repeat this 100 times (when fit of course)
Following an illness/old shoulder injury, held the weights in bow shooting form.
In the "bow holding hand" held the arm extended, as if to shoot a bow shot. Held this for count of 100. Then later, In the draw hand (the one pulling the string), I would draw a five pound weight as if I'm also drawing the string from start to full draw extension. Do this 100 times (fit of course)

Will take ten minutes, twice, three times, five days, seven days a week, depended on the state of my body's shape (different over the last twenty years)

Weights help if your fitness is down. Drawing a bow isn't the most natural movement of the body. Fitness and age will determine how easy it is. And how much weight training is necessary.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Spike

There are lot of exercises that you can do, but it is hard to beat the basics: push ups and crunches/sit ups.

Push ups strengthen the arms, chest, back, and core, and crunches/sit ups focus on the core. Don't rush through them trying to do as many as you can as quick as you can. Slow and steady to build endurance.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Update: I'm pretty in shape, I'm a free safety in football and I can handle alot of weight backpacking but my lower back strength just isn't up for the task.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Other than shooting your bow, to get your aim on, What you need is drawing exorcise. What I used to do was use a bungee cord, firmly attached, so as to not come loose while drawing or holding. Then place your bow hand against the wall and draw and hold the bungee. Do it until you are tired, but don't over do it. You can use the braided covered bungees. They will be more elastic. When you feel you are getting more developed, switch to the black rubber. They are less forgiving and will give you even more workout. Using your bow to do this is just more of a chance at wearing out your string sooner than need be, and bungees are cheap.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Spike

If you make it to the gym at all ... T-Bar rows are your best friend.. they are great for middle back which is what your body uses a lot during bow shooting.