Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting on the cheap.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it really depends on where your priorities are. I have always been able to buy the latest and greatest if I wanted it but I put my family first and usually just went with the bare necessities for myself. Even now that my kids are raised and are through college, I still pretty much hunt with what I've always had with the exception of a couple used shotguns and some new camo from Wal-Mart. The bottom line is I have every thing I need to be a successful hunter and I'm not into keeping up with the Jones' or wanting to impress anyone with my equipment.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

I have always bought with the idea it must last me at least 10 years on any major purchase. That way I buy good durable items that will work for my style of hunting. Getting the latest gear every year does two things. 1.) Wastes your hard earned money as now you have unused equipment sitting in a closet that you spent a lot of money one. 2.) It encourages the suppliers and manufacturers to come out with different stuff that doesn't work, year after year, and they charge higher and higher prices because after all "It is the latest and greatest" I am sorry but If I buy a gun or bow or clothes I will get what will work for me and could care less if it has a green light or a red light as long as I can sight on the animal and kill it ethically.

We the hunters have let ourselves be sold a bill of goods that pricier is better and small changes in an item makes it better so it MUST cost more. I will stay with the philosophy my father taught me and that is buy what works, make it last and use it often. I am still using a shotgun I bought in 1985 and a rifle I bought in 1989. Both kill deer so why should I replace them. Got my Remington 1100 3 years ago because my brother passed away. Otherwise I would never have gotten one. Bow is one another brother gave me 10 years ago and it still drops deer. Why change?

Can I afford the latest and greatest. Yes I can. Do I need the latest and greates? No I don't.

What gets me is the term "affordable" has gone from meaning 20-50 bucks to something that costs over 250 bucks. To many that is not affordable that is sinfully priced.

But each to their own wallet and each to their own style of hunting. As I always say - Enjoying your self out in the woods and eating venisson are two of the most enjoyable things in life.

Last edited by vapahunter; 08-22-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Spike

I have an uncle that goes hunting wearing his old BDU pants that have paint stains on them, thermals, a sweatshirt and an orange vest. He carries his old ALICE pack, a fanny pack and his 30.06 Savage with an el cheapo walmart scope w/ see thru mounts.

He has killed more deer then anybody I know.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know some high rollers, glad I know them and am the kind of person that can enjoy what others have without thinking about what I don't.

Just seeing a friends full male lion mount with a full zebra in it's mouth is something to see. Hope he got his 14' long 4' wide crock taken with his latest bow made into a coffee table for his game room lined on both side with over a dozen cape buffalo.

Key is being thankful for whatever you have and in that there's no room for gripping about what others have you don't. It's just stuff that the sellers of it are going to have to eventually sell to us lower class people.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

What have you finally found?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda glad this thread got a bump by a spammer ‘cause I missed it.

I pretty much agree with you, DVP (delivery versus payment??). I started hunting 3 years ago and bought very basic stuff to start out with (BDUs and an ALICE pack at the surplus store, a Remington 870, and some nice Kenetrek boots). Through the little experience I’ve gained in the field, I’ve been able to determine what’s “missing” and then figure out ways to bridge the gap (one thing I figured out I was missing was warmer clothes…and I figured that out real fast!!). I don’t believe in the latest and greatest as a rule, but I also don’t believe in being cheap. Meaning, if I determine I am going to get something because it fulfills a hunting need (hunting “desire” is probably more accurate), I am not going to buy the cheapest thing I can find to do so. If I am going to buy something, it is going to be a quality purchase. Not necessarily the “latest and greatest”, but something that will do its job well and will last. If I can’t afford, it, I will save for it until I can afford it instead of buying a cheap substitute. I really want a climbing tree stand, and I think the Equalizer will fit my needs the best. I probably will not be able to afford one this year, so I will probably do without (or, I might buy something used that I can sell for the price I paid when the time comes).

When I purchased my first muzzleloader last year, I was “cheap” and bought the TC Omega Z5. I got it in the off season for $225 or thereabouts. I knew that, with a little elbow grease, I could get it to shoot as well as a $5-600 Omega (and it does). Granted, the stock ain’t nearly as nice and I need to keep on top of it to prevent rust/corrosion more than I would one with a stainless barrel, but it will kill a deer just as dead just as accurately, and I know its core components are quality. However, I went ahead and bought “nicer than a cheapie” scope because I don’t think a $75 BSA will cut it. I got the Leupold Ultimate Slam, a very nice scope for the money…not to mention a lifetime warranty that may come in handy (but hopefully not!), and I bought a nicer mount which was worth it to me (the DNZ Game Reaper).

So, to sum up, I don’t believe in gimmicks but I believe in quality and getting equipment that will help you accomplish your goals. If one does a lot of hunting up in the mountains (especially if camping out), then there is specialized lightweight gear that one might consider beneficial, and it ain’t cheap (lightweight + durable = expensive). One could do fine without the specialized gear, but would probably fare better with it. It just depends on your needs and your budget.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nodog
I know some high rollers, glad I know them and am the kind of person that can enjoy what others have without thinking about what I don't.

Just seeing a friends full male lion mount with a full zebra in it's mouth is something to see. Hope he got his 14' long 4' wide crock taken with his latest bow made into a coffee table for his game room lined on both side with over a dozen cape buffalo.

Key is being thankful for whatever you have and in that there's no room for gripping about what others have you don't. It's just stuff that the sellers of it are going to have to eventually sell to us lower class people.
Visited the above mentioned person one year, he sent me home with several things he'd canned that year from his garden. Funny guy. Had dinner in his 10,000,000 home on the Potomac river last year. 5 bucks is a lot of money to me. Brother taught him to hunt and that's how I know him. Brother and I sat in his truck last year listening on his cell phone while the guy told us about his doe he'd taken that morning with more excitement than an elephant hunt. Guys idea of stand hunting is getting way up in a tree less than 6'. His retelling of that doe hunt in his neighborhood dragging in a dead body from the Potomac was a gut buster.

Guys attitude is anything but ruiness to hunting, his spending is another story.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bmgillum
I may be wrong but I think he is bragging. Some folks, like me, end up paying $200-300 a pound for venison and he doesn't.

I don't mind, though. The economy needs a boost and I am trying to do my part. Cheers/bg

If you are paying that much for venison, you need to give me a call... I'll sell it for $50 a pound....
Old 09-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt on a very tight budget but what I try to do is buy sometrhing new each year. This year I spoiled myself. I got a new bow and also bought a trail cam. The trail cam has been myt favorite purchase to date its really cool to see what's happening when I ain't there and also allows ,e to sit in the stand with more confidence knowing I consistently have deer coming in that I will be happy to take.when I want something new I do a lot of research on it then I look for a great deal on ebay. I have gotten some really nicfe equipment and saved tons of money
Old 09-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

A great example is scopes. I hunted for 25 years with a scope that was considered pretty good at the time. I replaced it with a scope that is far superior and only cost about $100. and keep hearing I should be spending several times that amount to get a scope worth using.