Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting on the cheap.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:15 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Hunting on the cheap.

I read about all kinds of expensive hunts and gear but I can only admire from afar.
I'm sure there are others out there like me. I try not to spend a lot on my hunting. When I first started hunting it was with an SKS rifle and a used PSE bow. My first tree stand was made from 2x4's and plywood, and I could move it from tree to tree. I have hunted mostly public land. In the last 8 years my luck has been pretty good and I've killed a almost a dozen deer.
When I started hunting I didn't have much money. Times have changed and I have been fortunate but I still try to squeeze as much out of my gear as I can. My hunting boots are about 5 years old and I plan to wear them for another 5 years. My camo pants and shirts are from when I was in the Army in the late 90's. Last year I was given a nice compression thermal shirt in camo and some gloves that are built to hold chemical heaters in the back. My rifle and scope combo cost me about 400 and I'm very happy with it. My crossbow cost me about 125 9 years ago and it's taken most of my deer. I have a 10 + year old hand me down muzzle loader that I will be using for the second year. My one big expense this year is a scope for the muzzle loader that will run me about 150 including mounts. If all goes well I plan to use that for many years. I kicked in 150 bucks 15 years ago to be part of a hunt club. Spent sweat equity building a cabin and the next year we lost the lease. I don't pay to hunt any more. I just hunt public land or ask for permission to hunt on land of people I know. My biggest expense will be gas i the truck this year. I don't have a problem in the world with people spending lots of money or getting nice shiney new stuff, I'm just super tight on a dollar and want to buy stuff that lasts a long time.

So What's my point. I guess I have made an effort to Spend less and get the hunting done. I totally enjoy most of the things I have bought but I try to buy less and just make do with what I have. I certainly don't look down on anyone who spends more hunting or think I'm superior, I just have tried to incorporate my cheapskate nature into my hunting as well. I was just wondering if there were others out there who also feel somewhat out of place when they hear about 600+ dollar bows and 1500+ dollar rifle packages.

Last edited by dpv; 08-20-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=dpv;3836569]I read about all kinds of expensive hunts and gear but I can only admire from afar.
I'm sure there are others out there like me. I try not to spend a lot on my hunting. When I first started hunting it was with an SKS rifle and a used PSE bow. My first tree stand was made from 2x4's and plywood, and I could move it from tree to tree. I have hunted mostly public land. In the last 8 years my luck has been pretty good and I've killed a almost a dozen deer.
When I started hunting I didn't have much money. Times have changed and I have been fortunate but I still try to squeeze as much out of my gear as I can. My hunting boots are about 5 years old and I plan to wear them for another 5 years. My camo pants and shirts are from when I was in the Army in the late 90's. Last year I was given a nice compression thermal shirt in camo and some gloves that are built to hold chemical heaters in the back. My rifle and scope combo cost me about 400 and I'm very happy with it. My crossbow cost me about 125 9 years ago and it's taken most of my deer. I have a 10 + year old hand me down muzzle loader that I will be using for the second year. My one big expense this year is a scope for the muzzle loader that will run me about 150 including mounts. If all goes well I plan to use that for many years. I kicked in 150 bucks 15 years ago to be part of a hunt club. Spent sweat equity building a cabin and the next year we lost the lease. I don't pay to hunt any more. I just hunt public land or ask for permission to hunt on land of people I know. My biggest expense will be gas i the truck this year. I don't have a problem in the world with people spending lots of money or getting nice shiney new stuff, I'm just super tight on a dollar and want to buy stuff that lasts a long time.[/
QUOTE]

Did u have a question or are you just venting? Kind of lost on your post? Lol sorry
Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Fork Horn

Nothing wrong with making due with what we have, I think a lot of us are doing that. There are a lot of things that I could use and should spend good money for them, such as new binos. But until then I'll use what I have.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:46 AM
Typical Buck

Alot of people these days get caught up in the "latest and greatest"

My most expensive hunting gun is a .50 cal Hawken I built a couple yrs ago. It has over 40 hours of working on it, is beautiful, and its functional.

Also some things, I prefer to build myself. Its not being cheap, its being resourceful and using my head. (plus keeps me out of trouble and in my mancave)
Old 08-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TURKEY FAN
Did u have a question or are you just venting? Kind of lost on your post? Lol sorry
I may be wrong but I think he is bragging. Some folks, like me, end up paying $200-300 a pound for venison and he doesn't.

I don't mind, though. The economy needs a boost and I am trying to do my part. Cheers/bg
Old 08-20-2011, 10:21 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

You could easily spend $5000 getting set up on archery! Or a few hundred dollars and some resourcefulness you could also get what is needed. You have to ask yourself the questions:
- Will this item make a big enough difference to merit it as needed?
- If absolutely needed will a substitute at half the cost suffice?
As I look at all the equipment now I shake my head and wonder "Where do guys get the money to buy this?" A simple release that you could get for $20 a few years back is now more like $89! Obviously, you will have to fork out money for some essentials, like broadheads, bullets, and arrows. But if not careful, you can find yourself buying one unneeded item after another.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Know the feeling

Never had a problem with the newbies getting all that new stuff.

I mean, how are they suppose to understand that a couple of my forty year old Shetland wool sweaters, work good in the cold weather. Now that would only push the reasoning power of any thirty year old hunter.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:26 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I edited my original post to address what my point is. I'm wondering if I'm not out of touch.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt as simply as I possibly can. I've been bowhunting since 1980 and I've had 2 bows...and have killed about 75 deer with them in that time. I've had about 10 tree stands in that time, with the most expensive being about $150. I have friends that spend more on a single bow than I have probably spend on equipment in 30 years. Does that make us different? Yes...but not in a good or bad way. What someone else does doesn't affect what I do. I still respect the animals that they harvest the same as mine. It's still hunting.

When I rifle/muzzleloader hunt, I take my gun, ammo, some grub...and take off walking. That's what I learned, and that's what I do. Some sit in a stand all day w/ tons of equipment. That's fine. I don't think an ounce less of someone that does that. It's just not me.

My wife calls me cheap. I think I'm simple...LOL
Old 08-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt because I enjoy it. If there is a product out there that allows me to enjoy hunting more or allows me to be a more effective hunter then so be it. If I can afford it I have no problem trying the latest and greatest.

To give you an example, I like Cabela's Dry-Plus outterwear. It keeps me dry and warm and allows me to stay in the field longer. Also a lazer range finder allows me to be a more effective hunter. I am frugal with my money but why not take advantage of the latest technologies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.