Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Trip Recommendation

Old 08-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Spike

Default Hunting Trip Recommendation

Can anyone recommend a good place to go Deer hunting in NY State?

My son and I are relatively new to hunting and we'd like to go hunt in upstate NY, but we don't know where to start. We can hunt with rifle, muzzle loader or shot-gun (sabot slugs). Is there a good hunting lodge?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.adirondacks.com/hunting.html
this help?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt northern New York, and without private land, or belonging to a hunting club with 10s of thousands of acres to choose from your next prime choice would have to be a secluded chunk of state land. Choose a day with your kid. Go for a long walk, take some of those shiny tacks and stick em in trees on your way in so you can one, get out haha, and two, get there again. State land is a tough hunting experience, as many people have to hunt it also. But if you can find a real secluded chunk. Hunt it. Go where you don't think others would go. My uncle shot his lifetime buck off of state land. He has both private land and belongs to two hunting clubs, just goes to show, if you put in the time on state land there is some bruisers back in there. Hope this helped.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Fork Horn

New York is loaded with deer and easily accessable land, but first the decision is if shooting a deer is more important or hunting, and enjoying your time outside. I will skip over a number of pay to shoot places in NY, as they dont fall under hunting in any form in my book.
The state DEC has alot of information available on hunting areas. The Hector Land use area in the finger lakes area is a large area with alot of deer, and alot of other game management areas in the region. I havent hunted it in a number of years due to proximity, but we always did well. I prefer big woods hunting, and spend most of my time in the Tug Hill region, where state land abounds, and hunters are spread out. The ADKs are great for the wilderness and hunting aspect, but you will work for your deer. The Tug Hill is a friendlier, more accessible version of the ADKs, not as many deer as down state, but more than the ADKs. There are also a number of hunting clubs around that own and lease land for the members. The Mad River Club based up north of Redfield is one. Clubs usually give you a place to stay, and fellow members who are usuallly willing to help get you pointed in the right direction.
I would start by contacting the DEC about some areas you are interested in, after you have an idea of the type of hunt you want. Then plan a couple of week end scouting trips to figure out specific areas.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Beerbrewer
Looks like you are from Long Island.
Check out Sterling Forest. It's just across the Hudson River from you. In order to limit the number of hunters, they require you to apply for a access permit that cost $5. You need to get the application submitted before the end of Sept. in order to hunt the opening weekend.
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/74...lications.aspx

If you get a doe tag for this area (3P) then you can hunt at West Point also.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Lots of places to hunt in NY, and DEC makes it quite easy to find state lands.
First I would decide how much hunting you want to do.
Actually hike/scout/hunt? Going to an unknown place and hunting odds are generally very low you will be successful.
Or do you just want to go to a guide that will put you on the deer?
Also how far are you willing to travel?
2hrs? 4hrs? 8hrs? From home.
While hunting could be found close to home I recomend going +4hrs from nyc, most city hunters draw the line at 2-3 hrs from nyc, and generally less of a chance of crowds +4hrs away.
Will you be spending a weekend? A week?