Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Lock on.... Theres gotta be an easier way! >

Lock on.... Theres gotta be an easier way!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lock on.... Theres gotta be an easier way!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default You guys should try these stands

Not a plug but my own personal opinion. I have timed myself and others on speed as well as safety. They are not cheap but very very good stands. Put up multiple chains, carry one of their climbing sticks and you will have a whole new meaning to speed and safety when changing locations due to wind ect ect ect. and they are about as quite as it gets. Check them out

CHIPPEWA stands
Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

i was just curious if yall thought that getting a cheap pulley system would be worth the investment?? ive found a few online for less than 20 bucks and it seems like they would be useful in pulling up the stand to where you want it to be placed
Old 08-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Check Amazon, I've seen block & tackles for under $10. Also, if you already have a gamrel system, you might be able to use the one of that.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Like I said before, I have hung a ton of stands, compared to most folks and have always just backpacked them up or use a sturdy pull-up rope. I guess a pulley system could make it easier, but is just more time and gear to haul to the stand site. Stands now days aren't that heavy anyway. Not like some of the older steel stands, or the Blackwater Creek stands that didn't fold up. lol now those could be a pain.

If you're ever in the NE Missouri area give me a holler and I'll show ya how I do it. It will only take about 15 mins of your time.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Also, like has been stated by numerous folks, the key to easy stand hanging is having both hands free to hang your stand. Always wear a harness of some sort with the waist strap attached.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Spike

Default how I do it!!

If you are fortunate to have tall pines like we have here on the shore........ the best way to hang a stand i found is I use my climber take it up to were I can stand ( with harness on) and hang my climber at the height that I want, all my stands are at least 20 foot. I used to use screw in steps and I would put them in on the way down. I now use climbing sticks.. I go down take climber off tree and raise my climbing stick and strap it as I climb!! best way!! I am getting to old to hang by one hand and try to mount a stand!! Also be sure you get your self a HSS safety system with the life line that slides up/down with prusic knot !!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

We have used API stands, they use a T screw that screws into the tree first. Just make sue you are secure by using a linemen’s type set up.
You just hoist the stand up by rope and rest it on the T screw. Then tighten it up. Never had a need for a pulley system.
It’s still a pain in the a$$. Ladder Stands are easier and safer to put up.
We have since retired the 12 lock on type stand set ups , and just use ladder stands. The deer don't care.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

An old hunting friend of mine used a portable drill to pre drill for screw in steps and hangers for hang on stands. Worked great for him.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

A pulley would be good a idea. I usually just to get the height I want and pull the stand up (attach the rope to the stand before I climb). Sometimes I'll screw in an extra tree step above the location I intend to hang the stand. This gives you a tie off once you pull the stand up and it's above the stand location which should make it easier to hang the stand (while it's tied to the step). Then remove that step and use it for a gear hanger or remove it all together.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a hint for you guys, on the land I own and these are my trees. We drill a 5/8 hole into the tree and have 1/2 inch rebar cut to 7-8 inches. No more screwing in steps. Just drill your holes at a downward angle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.