Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Lock on.... Theres gotta be an easier way! >

Lock on.... Theres gotta be an easier way!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lock on.... Theres gotta be an easier way!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lock on.... Theres gotta be an easier way!

Hey guys,
so yesterday i strayed from my normal ways of just using climbing stands and went and put in a lock on set... Worst day in the deer woods ever! Putting in the screw in steps was annoying but not that difficult.. the part that baffeled me was when i got the stand up to me and trying to actually get it on the tree where i wanted it... i felt like i needed two extra hands to get it set! After nearly 3 1/2 hrs and almost falling out of the tree once or twice i finally got it set up.. There has got to be an easier way to do this... i love the setup now that its in place but if its goin to be that much of a struggle every time i go to put it up i would just assume pic a lil less desireable tree and use my ol man climber....
What do yall do to get the stand up and set in place?? we just useed a pull up rope and man power.. will it get easier the more we do it or does everyone struggle like i did????
Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

it does suck putting them up, but here are a couple of things we do to make it easier. wear a body harness, for 2 reasons. 1st, safety, safety, safety. 2nd if you adjust that harness just right you can relax and just worry about the stand. Put 2 screw in peggs where you will be standing, it sucks standing on one, changing feet ect, ect... Lately we have gone as far as putting a light portable up just to work on. It is called the cheap seat, weighs nothing, easy to put up and from there you put up the heavier perminent one from a platform. Good luck doing them from now on and hopefully I helped you out some.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

My $02. I set up 6-8 lock-ons every fall. Have for years. Here's what works for me.

I use a safety similar to a line-man's pole climbing D-Ring belt. Lets me climb using the ladder and/or steps with a reasonable degree of safety , and at the same time leaves both hands free when the work time comes.

I use a stick ladder where possible and screw-in step where not, or a combination there-of depending upon the form of the tree. Once I reach where I want the lock-on to be placed, I screw in a step about 2' above that level. I hang a simple single pulley/rope system that I made from a cheap pulley and 3/8" nylon braided rope on to that "step".

I climb back down and attach the lock-on to the rope and hoist it up to the approximate height of the stand location and tie it off. I then climb back up and attach the lock-on to the tree. The weight being supported by the pulley/rope system and having both hands free makes is a snap to strap the lock-on in place.

Once I have the lock-on secured in place, about 6" below my last step or ladder rung, I step off onto it and set up a safety rope that extends to ground level using 5/16" t 3/4" climbing rope. I also screw in a couple of steps well above, but in reach, from my last step for hand-holds. I can later use these to hang my pack or binos (whatever). I climb back down and call it good to go.

I use a 3-wrap Prussic knot to attach my safety harness to the safety rope. I stay attached to the Prussic until I get set up in the stand, then transfer my safety harness over to the tree. This might sound like over kill, but one slushy, sleeting day abut 20 years ago I slipped off a screw-in step and fell about 7'. Luckily I had no injury other than a badly scraped shin and a bruised hip. If that had happened near the top of that ladder, I could have fallen about 16' .... and I imagine that day would have had a much less lucky ending.

If you are not familiar with a Prussic it is simple to do. There are several You-Tube demos out there demonstrating how to tie and use this knot.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

I use a L/W hang-on and sticks and pull the set up every time.. I hunt a new tree each sit. I wear the stand on my back so I don't need to pull up the stand... I am so used to putting it up that it ain't much more work than useing a climber... You just need to do it a few times.
With my set up I can hunt any tree, rather than hunting for straight limbless and it only takes me 10 to 15 minutes for most set ups...
Old 08-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

As said already, free up those hands.

Harness and a linemans strap make things alot easier.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

i did use a linemans belt while doing it... thing the problem was just the inexperience... i can look back now and see several different ways that it could have been easier. I think i may have it figured out for next time.. thanks for yalls help
Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

A lineman style belt is the only way to go. ESPECIALLY if you did like I did after about 10-15 years of HATING screw in steps and I just replaced all of the steps with hang on steps/skyladder types. That's when the lineman comes in handy once more, while making your way up and hanging those steps/ladders on. If you insist on the screw in steps then get the folding type that you can chuck into a chordless drill and screw quickly into the tree. With the above tools you can quickly and quietly hang a stand and be "hunt ready" in less than 10 minutes!

And while not a substitute, the linemans belt makes a better emergency safety belt than nothing at all. Lord the YEARS I spent with NO belt of anykind while hunting 20 and sometimes even OVER 30ft off the ground in one of my old hang on stands. Eventually after about living to see 30 and being married with kids I realized I had more reasons than myself to wear a safety belt. (Now that I'm "fat and 40" I don't honestly even like leaving the ground unless it's in a ladder or shooting house! )

Good luck,
HL
Old 08-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
My $02. I set up 6-8 lock-ons every fall. Have for years. Here's what works for me.

I use a safety similar to a line-man's pole climbing D-Ring belt. Lets me climb using the ladder and/or steps with a reasonable degree of safety , and at the same time leaves both hands free when the work time comes.

I use a stick ladder where possible and screw-in step where not, or a combination there-of depending upon the form of the tree. Once I reach where I want the lock-on to be placed, I screw in a step about 2' above that level. I hang a simple single pulley/rope system that I made from a cheap pulley and 3/8" nylon braided rope on to that "step".

I climb back down and attach the lock-on to the rope and hoist it up to the approximate height of the stand location and tie it off. I then climb back up and attach the lock-on to the tree. The weight being supported by the pulley/rope system and having both hands free makes is a snap to strap the lock-on in place.

Once I have the lock-on secured in place, about 6" below my last step or ladder rung, I step off onto it and set up a safety rope that extends to ground level using 5/16" t 3/4" climbing rope. I also screw in a couple of steps well above, but in reach, from my last step for hand-holds. I can later use these to hang my pack or binos (whatever). I climb back down and call it good to go.

I use a 3-wrap Prussic knot to attach my safety harness to the safety rope. I stay attached to the Prussic until I get set up in the stand, then transfer my safety harness over to the tree. This might sound like over kill, but one slushy, sleeting day abut 20 years ago I slipped off a screw-in step and fell about 7'. Luckily I had no injury other than a badly scraped shin and a bruised hip. If that had happened near the top of that ladder, I could have fallen about 16' .... and I imagine that day would have had a much less lucky ending.

If you are not familiar with a Prussic it is simple to do. There are several You-Tube demos out there demonstrating how to tie and use this knot.
This is exactly what I do, minus the Prussic knot/safety line...but I have been wanting to do this as my hang-on locations. It's a good overall strategy and easy once you get the hang of it.

I used to hunt only from a climber but have since migrated back to fixed position stands the last couple of years...mostly due to a property change in which there are not many ideal trees/locations for a climber.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree the screw in pegs are a pain,the best use I found for those was holding my rope in place while pulling my hang on up. The second one I hung I used the climbing sticks,what a breeze those are compared to the screw ins. The linemans belt hooked to my harness helped greatly and I felt very safe as well. The first took over an hour and a half to get done the second with the sticks 30 minutes max. Take care and be careful out there.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Not that I have counted, but an estimated guess is that I have done over 1000 stand set-ups. Used to do it with screw in steps. They are a pain in the butt, and they are dangerous in the event of a fall. It is like dodging fishhooks on your way to the ground. It may sound funny, but it is the truth. Now the only thing I use is Climbing Sticks. (mostly Ol'Man or Rivers Edge)

Always wear a Safety Harness of some sort when during all process of hanging a stand. Use the waist belt during this process, not the safety strap you would use when hunting. Most new stands sold today will come with a harness. Tie a pull-up line to your stand, so when you get to the height you are comfortable with, you can pull up your stand. Or you can have it on your back using the backpack straps many come with, or fashion your own to the stand. You could use a screw in step to hang your stand where you want it on the tree, until you get it fastened securely. Old API stands came with a screw in for this purpose. North Star stands used to come with a hook on a strap that you put around the tree and hung the stand on so you could secure it more easily. There are also a variety of stick that are just sections attached to the tree, ie. Buck Steps, etc. These can also be very good for climbing most any tree, or using in conjuncture with other straight sticks. If you use these, just be sure to get the strap as tight as possible on the tree before you push the step down to tighten. If you don't do this type correctly, they can swap ends when you are climbing.

If you invest in climbing sticks, get the ones that have a double step. They are much easier to stand on as you will have both feet at the same level.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.