Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

summit climbers

Old 09-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Spike

I've not hunted out of a summit myself, but we had one of our hunting clients get stuck in a tree on a summit climber a few years back. He was about 16 years old, maybe 230 lbs or so. He was climbing down at dark and the base of the climber folded up about 12 feet off the ground. The metal supports literally folded up and pinched it to the tree. When he didn't show up to our meeting point after dark we went in and found him stuck up there. Luckily he was in an easily accessible spot and we used the front end loader to get him down. We called Summit the next morning, and even though one of my guides was a dealer rep for Summit, it still took A LOT of talking and arguing but they did overnight a new stand for the kid. (Seeing as he was on a 5 day hunt) So I wouldn't say the customer service was pleasant, but they did hook him up in the long run. Just can't imagine what trouble he could have been in had it failed at home when he was alone...
Old 09-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jmheywood
Viper all the way. Been hunting in one for 2 years now. Biggest drawback is how the back rest works. Two bungees wrap around the tree and connects. When you stand up to draw a bow the back rest rides up the tree making too much noise. Stand gets a little heavy carrying long distances in the woods, personally it's worth it with the comfort this stand offers. Gun rest works great as well. Quiet and sturdy while climbing.
i have 180 max now.i never put bungee around tree,it hooks around back seat frame.
yes, summits are not LIGHT.actually the straps cutting into your shoulders is worst part of carrying any stand.
molle 11 has helped but,i agree anything over 18 pds is heavy for me at 57.
i have to stop about 3 times in about 1/2 mile walking .
but most is so i dont get all sweaty.
but i am carrying bow and fanny pack on front of me too.

VIPER is nice but if you buy the GOLIATH you have more room on top section aND ONLY 1 PD HEAVIER.

this is why i almost DONT rec the VIPER ANYMORE.price is almost same too.

my tests only covered the BIG 3 .GOLIATH,180 MAX, TITAN.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Spike

I have had the goliath for a few years now and shot a few deer from it. It is big and roomy and very comfortable no problem sitting all day.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Titan a few years back when I weighed around 330 lbs. I'm at 234 lbs now and I have plenty of room now. It is a very roomy climber. I also have a Viper Classic, which is steel, but it is a good backup stand, and you can still get those for around $150-$160.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Spike

I've sat in the ultimate viper and really like the surround seat. I'm 5'9 220 lb. It had plenty of room for me. You can find some really good deals on last years summit stands. Rogerssportinggoods has some nice prices