Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

summit climbers

Old 08-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
in cold weather with heavy clothes on the VIPER top is too tight for me at 6/1 and 210pds.
in archery at 60 degrees out, it was fine.
my 180 MAX has goliath floor.
they changed floor too TITAN floor in 2010 on 180 MAX .
i like lots of room so bigger is better for me but it means more weight to carry,about 3 extra pounds.
viper rail is too close to top of my knees while sitting. the 180 MAX has curved rail and my kness fit in much better.

you cant sit on 180 max rail but some do to climb.i did not like switching seat around so i found if i doubled seat up and secured with bungee cord, I DID NOT HAVE TO SWITCH SEAT AROUND AND I CAN CLIMB FINE WITH IT THAT WAY .

so, if i had choice between VIPER/180 MAX it would be max.but the viper is much better to carry.
i use molle 11 which helps but i do hate extra weight of the max.

The 180 Max looks like it would be a great stand.

To correct for my knees being too close to the rail on the Viper, I lower the seat cushion and simply raise the top portion to where my knees and legs are comfortable. During bow season I have my knees closer to the rail. This allows me to ensure my lower cam or limb on my bow does not hit.

Come rifle season I lower the seat cushion down a little farther. Personally I'm more comfortable with the rear of the seat cushion just a tad lower than the front. This is very comfortable for me and I can sit from daylight to dark during rifle and muzzleloader seasons.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jwood
I got a viper and love it. It can be a pain carrying the stand, a pack and a bow but really nice once you get up off the ground. I just try to limit what I carry with me when I use a climber.
A good set of backpack straps will make that Viper much easier to carry.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
The 180 Max looks like it would be a great stand.

To correct for my knees being too close to the rail on the Viper, I lower the seat cushion and simply raise the top portion to where my knees and legs are comfortable. During bow season I have my knees closer to the rail. This allows me to ensure my lower cam or limb on my bow does not hit.

Come rifle season I lower the seat cushion down a little farther. Personally I'm more comfortable with the rear of the seat cushion just a tad lower than the front. This is very comfortable for me and I can sit from daylight to dark during rifle and muzzleloader seasons.

lot lighter than my 180 max too. i hate weight of the big stands.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:44 AM
Spike

I just brought a Titian and one of the wing nuts on the Stirups was missing. I sent an email. And a few hours later I received an email back saying that I would be getting a new one in about 4-5 days. 5 days later I received it. I am impress with their comestmer Service.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Open Shot all the way!!!

I started with climbers about 12-13 years ago and my first was cumbersome(can't remember the brand off the top of my head).

I then broke the bank 5-years later for a LoneWolf, and couldn't keep the latches in place so I brought it back in fear of my safety for a Summit Open Shot.

Haven't looked back since - Love it - compact, light, vesitile & I Feel Safe!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by schooter
I just brought a Titian and one of the wing nuts on the Stirups was missing. I sent an email. And a few hours later I received an email back saying that I would be getting a new one in about 4-5 days. 5 days later I received it. I am impress with their comestmer Service.
those wing nuts do fall out.i superglued mine into slot so they dont fall off while removing them,they stay put .
i am trying to find a way to SAFELY turn the stirrups out of way after getting set up in tree at top.
i dont like stirrups hitting my feet while standing to look back over seat at buck.
a HINGE would workbut i think summit is afraid someone would not lock it right and slip going down the tree.

anyone have good idea on way to get those stirrups out of way without doing a lot of adjusting or removing.

this is our next recommendation to SUMMIT to improve their stands.

Last edited by sproulman; 08-29-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Edcyclopedia
Open Shot all the way!!!

I started with climbers about 12-13 years ago and my first was cumbersome(can't remember the brand off the top of my head).

I then broke the bank 5-years later for a LoneWolf, and couldn't keep the latches in place so I brought it back in fear of my safety for a Summit Open Shot.

Haven't looked back since - Love it - compact, light, vesitile & I Feel Safe!!!
openshot is very nice but i cant use stand without rail in front.just dont feel safe .i had ladderstand and it did not have rail and i was always feeling like i was going to fall out of it.
i dont think a rail adds that much weight to stand anyhow .

but some dont like the bow hitting rail.i never had problem with that but i shoot standing and never down on buck.always a broadside shot at 20 yds or buck walks.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by sproulman
openshot is very nice but i cant use stand without rail in front.just dont feel safe .i had ladderstand and it did not have rail and i was always feeling like i was going to fall out of it.
i dont think a rail adds that much weight to stand anyhow .

but some dont like the bow hitting rail.i never had problem with that but i shoot standing and never down on buck.always a broadside shot at 20 yds or buck walks.

I'm with you on this one... I sat in an open shot a few times and had shivers going down my back each time.. even with my safety harness on. I personally love my Titan, tons of room and super comfy. I've never found it to be cumbersome going in and out of the woods really...
Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by tikka_hunter
I like the open shot. it the smallest and lightest. work nice if you have a long walk. and plus it dont have all the crap that gets in the way.

I have two open shots. They are really good climbers.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Spike

Viper all the way. Been hunting in one for 2 years now. Biggest drawback is how the back rest works. Two bungees wrap around the tree and connects. When you stand up to draw a bow the back rest rides up the tree making too much noise. Stand gets a little heavy carrying long distances in the woods, personally it's worth it with the comfort this stand offers. Gun rest works great as well. Quiet and sturdy while climbing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.