Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Acorns

Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 AM
Spike

Default Acorns

Hey all,
I've got a question regarding White Oak acorns. I've been hunting on a co-workers land(about 65 acres) for the past 3 years with very limited success.Last fall,I noticed a white oak on the property,with piles of acorns on the ground.You could see where squirrels had been feeding but there was absolutely NO sign of deer feeding on them.I thought deer were crazy about acorns and my question is if this means there a very few deer in this area.BTW,a few months later
(winter) the piles were still there. I'd appreciate any input or advice.TIA
Blade
Old 08-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

not necessarily.. you can put all kinds of stuff down, dont mean they will eat it....when ya say very limited success ya mean ya aint seen nothin?
Old 08-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

It could be that the deer in your area may just be useing ur land for travel and not living on it full time. We have a similiar problem at our house. We live on 42 acres and see deer fairly regular but they do not live on our property, but thy use our hardwoods as travel routes. They may just be passing through ur land to get to another biggger or better food source
Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Also, not all acorns taste the same, even if they are from the same type of tree. Some trees, even whiteoaks just dont produce tasty fruits. And about the part of little success, Do yall have any food plots planted or anything?? if not getting one or two of those in the ground would greatly increase success on a small piece of ground like that i would think.. works great on our land.