Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting?

Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Spike

Question Baiting?

First of all I want you to know my feelings on baiting. The way I look at baiting is the same way I look at steroids in baseball. In baseball if you take steroids it will make the game easier. However, you still have to be able to make solid contact with a 98 mph fastball. Give Rambo a bat and I doubt he can hit a ball 450 feet. With hunting, baiting will make it easier, however you still have to make the shot.

So if you are against bating please do not comment on this saying how it is wrong or anything like that. Because chances are you say you are against baiting, but you hunt over a food plot you planted earlier this spring or next to a farmers field. And don't say a food plot is different than baiting because it really is not. They are the same thing execpet I don't plant mine months in advance I just throw it on the ground.

Now to my question....

I am bowhunting in Michigan for my first time this season. I normally hunt in Indiana where baiting is illegal. It is legal in Michigan and I was looking into some baiting strategies. I live in Indiana and hunt about 4 hours north of me in Michigan so putting out food every day is not an option. I am going to do some scouting this weekend and put up some trail cams. I will go one more time before season to set up my tree stand after checking out what my cams caught. I have heard of a lot of people using just plain corn and carrots to bait but I feel if everyone else is doing that then I need something to set me apart and keep the deer coming back to me instead of the other piles....

SO...............

What tips or advice can you give me? Is there something I should use other than corn or carrots? I have a few things in mind, but I wanted to see what you guys think.

2 months till opening day!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you pour Molasses on your corn they will come back for sure. They really like the stuff.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

we are not allowed to hunt over bait in Alabama but we do bait preseason for pics and some just around our house during the yr just to see what we have in our back yard... there is a lot of stuff out there that is sold that will attract deer other than corn but there is a reason that everyone else is using it! I dont know of anything that will bring deer out of the wood work better than a good ole pile of corn! But if you are dead set on something different i would suggest Black Magic or Deer CO caine powder... or use this along with ur corn pile... it will last llonger than the corn will and give deer a reason to come in even once the corn is gone
Old 08-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The number 1 best thing to do, is to use what the deer alreay eat in the area that they think is "candy"...lets say they eat field peas cause thats what the farmers in the area are putting down, but after that they head fer the grape vines, but ol mrs morgan is out there shewin em away from her garden,(true story), so they only get it hit and miss when she cant catch em eatin her grapes.
so if ya put out an abundant amount of grapes, the deer will visit ya more often, and the higher ya put em, the bigger the deer has to be to get them, and the big deer know this(imo)...and they will have their cookies on top of the refrigerator away from the kids.

you can feed everyday with an automatic feeder...a 55 gallon drum on a winch is the best to me...lower down..fill, crank back up. last fer 2 months if ya do the time right.(good luck gettin grapes through that lol)

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 08-01-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Deer love Rice Bran also. Works great on bucks in the South!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Let them bait

I'm all for overweight hunters carting in forty pounds of corn for a half mile or more. It'll give them exercise they never had.
Private or public, you'll know where they are hunting and bracket them with a gps. If the bait works, intercept the deer two hundred yards away, moving into the bait pile.
The only thing I don't know is how long these hunters will stay watching their precious bait spot. Maybe they can start yoga classes, so they can stay on the bait site, from dawn to dusk. From dawn to dusk. From dawn to dusk.
It'll be a real challenge to move the corn, the trail cam and the condo elevated stand, for another location, during deer season.

Let them bait. Gives me more land to hunt.

(my thanks to the late comedian George Carlin who made me realize that people often do things for a reason not given)
Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Valentine
I'm all for overweight hunters carting in forty pounds of corn for a half mile or more. It'll give them exercise they never had.
Private or public, you'll know where they are hunting and bracket them with a gps. If the bait works, intercept the deer two hundred yards away, moving into the bait pile.
The only thing I don't know is how long these hunters will stay watching their precious bait spot. Maybe they can start yoga classes, so they can stay on the bait site, from dawn to dusk. From dawn to dusk. From dawn to dusk.
It'll be a real challenge to move the corn, the trail cam and the condo elevated stand, for another location, during deer season.

Let them bait. Gives me more land to hunt.

(my thanks to the late comedian George Carlin who made me realize that people often do things for a reason not given)

Wow how very bold of you to say that…. You are basically saying that people that bait are fat and lazy when it comes to hunting… However you also said how you use where they are baiting to determine where you are going to hunt…. So basically you are baiting too… You are just too lazy to do it for yourself so you mooch off of other peoples hard work and try to “steal” their deer they worked hard for… You must be a Democrat
Old 08-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow....ok
lets remember they arnt "our" deer.
lets also remember not to be rude because someone is different than you.
he did say if ya had a problem with baiting, to "please" not post.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's pretty much been a problem in the sport of hunting that if you don't do it like "me" then you are wrong or lazy or stupid. If you use dogs to hunt with in your part of the country then many will bash you. If you use a crossbow then you will be called names by many of the "purist". Baiting....well we know how that ends. Maybe you hunt from a shooting house and of course we know you are too much of a baby to set out in the cold. And we all know how those gun hunters are scum.....

This goes on all the time because of the arrogance and ignorance of other hunters. Hunt however you like as long as the law is followed and don't worry so much about how "the other guy" does it. Enjoy.

Now to answer your question. Corn is hard to beat. You can make a feeder from PVC pipe that will allow the corn to last longer than throwing it on the ground. There isn't a magic food source that will draw all the deer from the surrounding property. Even if you have bait out the deer will still eat other food from other places. Deer are not like a pig where it will stand in one place and eat until its full. They like to browse so they will stop by and eat the corn or other bait but they will move on eating several other things. Baiting isn't the guarantee that many think. Just like a white oak dropping isn't a guarantee.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

i feed them in my yard,but i will never hunt over it.

its just to easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.