Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Mineral Products question...... >

Mineral Products question......

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mineral Products question......

Old 08-07-2003, 09:13 AM

Default Mineral Products question......

Has anyone tried the Whitetail Institute' s 30.06 mineral /protein blend? I am researching it now & it is pricey, but looks to be worthy. ANyone had experience with it?

I know there are several articles on the whole mineral issue. I have read where folks denounce it & where folks swear it is of utmost importance. One thing that cannot be denied is that deer seem to like the taste of it & are attracted to it for certain.

I have used " deer cane" in the past & our deer in the deep south dug it up & loved it. I am not sure how nutrituos it was, but they sure enjoyed it just the same.

Just looking for ideas on any mineral products - mainly that of the aforementioned 30.06 by the Whitetail Institute.

Thanks & good hunting.

Old 08-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mineral Products question......

Sweetwater, I' ve never tried the 30.06 but have tried several other. They did seem to attract deer but to me they don' t benefit the deer. While no mineral lick alone is going to make the deer herd 100% healthy and produce massive racks they can help. I found a recipe a while back that works very well. For about $55 you end up with 300 pounds of salt and minerals. It' s all available at your local feed store. Go to my website below and click on the mineral sites button. It will give you all the information you need.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:55 PM

thanks for the mineral rec. Is it too late in the year too do it now?
Old 08-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just mix a bag of Di-Cal with a bag of trace mineral salt. We keep it out year round. Spring and summer is usually the hardest hit times for our licks. We looked at a new lease area we are going to pick up yesterday and there were at least 4 established licks half as big as the bed of a pickup.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:25 AM

Mineral licks are a great idea. Wildlife need macro-elements and trace elements .
macroelemnts would be Calcuim, Phosphorus, Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium etc.
Trace elements would be like Iron, Zinc, Manganese, Copper, Iodine etc......

ie..Antler development in bucks and lactationin does creat extreme calcium demand during their respective period.

This process in the wild can be termed as geophagia. Geo - earth phagia- to eat.

Lets not get this confused with coprophagia. corpro - feces and phagia - to eat.