Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Opinions please - using corn to lure deer to camera >

Opinions please - using corn to lure deer to camera

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opinions please - using corn to lure deer to camera

Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

we bought a feeder last year to try and save money on corn since we can controll when it shoots out, but i think i scared the deer because we went from having 1000 pics in 2 weeks to about 100. when we took the feeder out they slowly but surely came back to the pile.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Spike

Default Lay off the corn during summertime!

I have had much better luck with mineral licks during the off-season. Corn really doesn't do a deer much good this time of year. Deer will generally try to find something with more protein content right now. Also, try setting up your camera and leaving it for 2-3 months without intrusion. Your spraying and clearing will probably keep them away for a while too, but they'll be back. I would back out until you plant and then stay out again until you hunt it!

Here is a buck we got pictures of visiting a mineral site on a regular basis. He was later harvested by a fellow bowhunter on our land.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions please - using corn to lure deer to camera-big-buck.jpg  
Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mortalcare, I know we had a run-in about hunting over corn in another thread, but you are exactly right about this time of year and native browse for deer. Food is everywhere and deer are not going to starve or die out without a pile of corn around. They know which plants and grasses to eat to get enough minerals and protein to make it through the winter months.

Stonewall, sounds like you need some minerals and protein mixed in with that corn. Make a mineral lick under that feeder and mix in a couple bags of acorn rage with the corn. For the most part, deer can't resist corn, but right now their bodies are letting them know they are not getting the minerals they need from the corn alone. Although it's getting a little late to get a lick well established this year, go ahead and dig a hole and fill it with trace salt, white salt, and dicalcium phosphate. You can get all that at your local feed store. It will soak into the ground and they'll wallow it out year after year if you keep it fresh. Once they shed their velvet they won't hardly touch the minerals, but when they shed their antlers in early spring they'll be all over it next year and you could get great pictures over just the lick site alone. The acorn rage or whatever bag granular mix you add to your corn feeder will help to give them the protein they need right now. Also I think you should try and find out if any other club members have mineral licks established on the property. Chances are, they do. That's where the bucks are right now. Is your camera near a water source? Bucks don't travel too far from a water source and cover except for the few months when they're cold, fat, and lookin' for love. Right now they aren't moving much at all except for food and water. Food is everywhere this time of year, water is more scarce. Find the water. If you still don't get pictures over minerals, corn, and acorn rage next to a water source, then somebody else has a better bait site than you somewhere. I'm not saying your location isn't a great spot. It sounds like you've found a honey hole and the big bucks might frequent this area at other times of the year.

And like someone else already said, don't count on your secluded spot never being found. I know you think it's hidden and you know the habits of your fellow club members, but STILL never count on any location not being discovered. I don't know your land or your club, but there could be non-members coming on to your land when you don't know it. I know here in Alabama in my area there are plenty of skilled poachers with many years under their belt who know every single good spot around and how to kill deer when nobody's around. You may be one of the few hunters in your area who go the extra mile, but don't think you're the only hunter willing to go the extra mile to walk and walk until they find that perfect spot. Good luck and I hope you start to get some good pictures.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot depends on what State You live in when You can start planting,here in Missouri we usually start our Fall food plots in middle to late August and early September on into late Sept.!The next step is figuring out what exactly to plant that will draw the deer in....I like the "Shot Plot" Forage Rape and Turnip Brassicas,then add a little Purple-top Turnips and possibly some foraging oats and winter wheat for good measure.Even tho we plant food plots thats where we hunt for Does mostly...if You want to get a nice Buck hunt off from the food plots into the thick timber/woods and watch for Doe's drawing the Buck in when the Rut starts!

I agree with most here for You to start a mineral lick for the Bucks and Doe's,it will draw the Deer at any time unlike a feeder and will be better for the Deer.I usually put down some Lucky Buck mineral and/or even a plain 50lb white salt block!