Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Are they realy doing our sport justice??? >

Are they realy doing our sport justice???

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are they realy doing our sport justice???

Old 08-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Baobab Game Ranch
We do watch these hunt shows every now and again, even here in Namibia. It is so very different to the way we hunt. Most of our hunting is done by walk and stalk and we tke gret pride following the the track of especially an Eland to the end. That is we try and track him down and then harvest him. By the track you can make out if it is an old mature animal. Or we sight by vehicle and the walk and stalk the animal. We harvest only mature animals. Some times we sit in a blind and wait to select a special animal. But with the area being nearly 6 thousand hectres it is a special type of hunt.
For more info please mail us! We have great photos on the web page:www.baobab.com.na

But if you hunt over water holes can you honestly say that is any different than a whitetail or hog hunter hunting over a pile of corn or a feeder? I am not against hunting over wtaer holes, piles of corn, feeders or food plots if legal for the record.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bmorris
I think the biggest problem is that according to some in the industry the footage is shot in an enclosed area but transfered to a different location for the TV show. There are also deer harvested on camera and if you look close they find a different deer the next day. In their rush to please all their sponsors they are willing to cut corners to keep them coming back.
The truth takes a back seat too many times.
Been watching a show online called "red arrow tv". I enjoy the show, but I enjoy bow hunting. However this sport by many can be coinsdered grusome and inhumane by lots of people cause the deer dont drop on the spot when shot. About the only show Ive seen in years where they show what really happened, right down to next day recoverys, letting deer lay over night etc... They pass on alot of deer, and show people getting busted, even seen hunts where they saw deer, and never made a kill. But Im sure this show will get scrutiny cause it is bloody, and they show their inner red neck's. Anyone who doesnt hunt would not under stand alot of what they say cause they never share a bond with someone thats part of hunting, with friends, family etc..
Old 08-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

I don't watch much TV. It's all mass entertainment. Hunting is more than entertainment, and unfortunately, your kid doesn't get that. Kids today are attention deficit media maniacs. My son is 30, and hasn't read a book since he was 15. Instant gratification is the standard by which all activity is judged, and the value of everything is it's value to the individual.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Spike

Most hunting shows are a joke.."not reality". There are some that depict real world hunting but some of the "Pro movie star hunters" have sold their souls to $sponsors$. Its like the burger you buy in a fast food resturant, big...fat..juicy..on the screen but when you open up the cardboard carten..

Hard to erase those shows/visions from a young hunters mind once they've drank the potion. Get them involved in planting food plots, scouting, hinge cutting, tree planting, show them theres more than climbing a tree an shooting a big snotty buck...all deer are trophys if their providing food for your family...plus they made the ultimate sacrafice for our pleasure!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Spike

The so called "Pro Hunters" are just a small part of the problem. The big part is the fact that nobody is aloud to say anything even remotely negitive about anyone in the hunting industry. We as hunters are just suppose to except whatever another hunter does. Everyone hides behind the " We all have to stick together as hunters" rule. But I feel there is more of a divide now in hunting then ever before. Like it or not hunting is geared towards the rich and the famous. Just look at the prices of the products these "Pro Hunters petal. $40 to dump a small bag of deer attractant on the ground. What does it have gold flakes in it? $10,000 + buggies to get in and out of the woods. $1000 bows, $200 arrows, $100 release aids and on and on. Who buys this crap? Why do they try and make you feel like you can't take a deer with out it. Ridiculas!!! First we lost Christmas to commercialization and now hunting. They don't represent me or any hunter I know. Nothing like cheering for the camera when you just stuck a deer in the butt with an arrow. Great for the sport. I think average hunters need to stand up, turn the TV's off and take this sport back. It has been hijacked by celeberties and celeberty wannabe's. No one should have to pay or spend thousands of dollars just to take a deer. In this economy deer should be used to feed your family not stroke your ego and empty your wallet. Quit letting these so called Pro's make you feel inferior and just hunt. Hunt the way God intended for us to do. Greed is what is killing this great country of ours and it can now be seen throughtout the hunting industry. Think about it.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by active_frm
mesajınız için teşekkürler. yararlı buldum
I'm a little fuzzy with that one part.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Change Comes

Societies change every twenty and twenty five years. And a lot has changed in the last twenty five years. Some good; some bad. Depends on your viewpoint.
Hunter numbers have fallen off; computers became popular and necessary; people have more options to pass their spare time; many cities and suburbs got more crowded; electronics and cameras have changed; a lot of people are not as fit as they use to be. Painfully, with my aging eyes, I keep seeing more double chins and spare tires. And that age keeps getting younger.
Fewer can keep hobbies that last for twenty five years.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I am going to have to agree with some of you on here and disagree with some of you.

I have to agree with ted nugent on the baiting concept. God gave us ingenuity for a reason. If we have the technology and the brains to go get a pile of corn to bring the deer in to make us more affective I say go for it. The same concept goes for crossbows some one some where came up with the idea of making it just a little bit easier to shoot the stick accurately and went with it. And for all of you pure traditionalist who consider the crossbow "evil" go run around naked until you find a sharp rock and then start surviving. Good luck is all I have to say. Like one of the guys above me stated luxury is nice. Well go throw your luxury long bow or recurve away that you bought from a magazine or made from a kit and put together with tools and then git after it with your naked butt and a sharp rock then I will deem you a traditionalist.

Now knowing how to hunt with out bait is a good life skill that I have to admit is sadly not taught in schools. But then again boys have a hard enough time being boys in that estrogen filled environment (no offense to the ladies on here And how many people grow up on farms and ranches any more? Very few, sadly our society is turning into a city dwelling one and the only way to drag them out is to make hunting seem fun and interesting and I have always thought that a good dove shoot is the best way to spark a desire and then weed them up to the harder and more rewarding elements of hunting. And how many of you die hard hunters think you could honestly go out and survive with out any modern technology? so more than just Hunting shows are to blame, society is to blame just has much. And I personally only watch a few of the bow hunting shows like relentless pursuit and the predator shows. Once upon time my dad tells me him and his buddy would leave the guns at the highschool and then hunt after school but those days are long gone sadly. So quit clinging to the past and learn to deal with it and quit trying to force your ideologies down a younger generations throat the times have changed. And I quote
He's an old hippie
and he don't know what to do
should he hang on to the old
should he grab on to the new
he's an old hippie
his new life is just a bust
he ain't trying to change nobody
he just trying real hard to adjust

Please take note of this

And hunting by definition straight from websters (1 the activity of hunting wild animals or game, esp. for food or sport. and pursue and kill (a wild animal) for sport or food) no where in here does it say the means. and I sure as hell aint going to go tell some one that it is wrong to pull carp out of a puddle of water in an irrigation ditch to feed there family or that it is wrong for a guy to go spend $7 dollars for a bag of corn to kill a few does with his grandpas 30-30 to feed his family because he works monday thru saturday and still cant pay to go buy meat. And I sure as hell aint going to go back and tell the forefathers of this great country that they shouldn't have used there muskets to hunt more efficiently and that they instead should have spent days to kill there food with a bow because it is more sporting or challenging or unfair for the resource; or that they were not allowed to shoot deer out of there corn crop because they didn't have to work for it.

Oh and by the way I am from Texas and you yankees just don't seem to grasp the concept of bigger and better. I am also 18 and in college and I Kill em and Grill em using whatever tools are available at my disposal whether it is a Compound, Crossbow or whatever great weapon that comes out next is.
P.S. do none of yall remember being young and wanting to have the biggest and baddest car, gun, motorcycle, or whatever because alot of you old timers have forgotten that concept of being young and bullet proof.
P.P.S. And yall are full of crap about mature bucks not coming up to feeders on your precious low fence at that. They do come not as frequently but they do come. And while I am at it would a ranch that is 40000+ acres that is high fenced count has a pen? Because I call it an anti road kill device. The deer on the interior of those hills probably don't even know that the fence is there and many of the "canned hunts" down here are on ranches bigger than that.

And that is my Two Cents on the matters.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Spike

Wow and I would have never guessed that you were 18 and in college. Go figure!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by porkchop401
At age 42 I am most likely an old timer on here, so bear with me . Televised huntig has made leaps and bounds in there ability to show giant whitetails meat thier demise . You turn own the tube, dial in to your favorite hunting channel and like clock work the buck of a lifetime prade to the bait , food plot or mirical mix deer attractant . My son killed his first deer last year and yes it was over a corn pile and man was I proud , later in the year I took him hunting several times where there was no bait and own public land where you had to actually hunt by interpreting sign and determining a location with a probability of seeing a deer . My son asked me why don't we just go where we can pour out some corn.? I explained to him that that isn't what the hunting exsperience is realy about . He replied well that is how the pro's do it on TV .
After thinking about this I started talking to other parents and some of the more prominent upcoming youth hunters about how they hunt and the answer was almost all the same ;food plot , feed and mirical lures , what happend to hunting ?
If you study the hunting shows it seems that they are just one long commercial, does our youth realize that few of us can afford such a hunt. It seems that what we are watching is just killing on a garanteed deal and our youth believes that this is the norm.
Kids believe (or at least the ones I have talked to believe ) that it is only with the help of bait and many other gimics will you get your deer. I explained that most of the so called mirical lures do what they are intended to do and that is seperate you from your money!
plese weigh in on this !

You hit the nail on the head there.

I would just love to see the "PROs" hunt public land with a bow, now that's a challenge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.