Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Are they realy doing our sport justice??? >

Are they realy doing our sport justice???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are they realy doing our sport justice???

Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

As an extension to what I have posted above, I don't use camoflage (I have a camoflage warm parka, I guess that is an exception). I don't buy range finders. I don't buy scents. I don't buy feeders or stands. I do think the TV shows are primarily directed to selling goods. Selling guided hunts. Selling outfitted hunts. Selling silly gear that you don't need to hunt. Frankly, watching those TV hunting shows gives me a creepy feeling and I never watch them any more for that reason. Just way over the top too commercialized. I feel the same way about hunting magazines which I used to buy.

I do read books about hunting. These do not reek of the same commercialization issues. I do find that many of these books fall short of what I'm looking for. Most of them are stuck at the level of providing advice about gear and rudimentary hunting skills. This information is certainly of value to a person who has never hunted the subject species before or not read other books. But where are the books with more advanced hunting information? There aren't many out there.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Spike

I posted earlier today a thread on Baiting because I am going to try it for the first time this year and I do not feel bad about it at all. I am still doing the same scouting "real hunters" do. Just when I find the spot that looks like there is going to be deer activity I put food down for them. It is not like you can just throw corn out in your back yard and shoot a monster buck from your bedroom window. I am a bow hunter and for years I have had great hunts and killed great deer without the use of baiting or food plot or anything you can buy off of tv. Just because people use bait does not mean they do not deserve the kill... Because like I said in my other thread... The Hunter still has to make the shot... It does not matter if you go to a freaking deer petting zoo... If you cannot shoot then you are not going to kill a deer... And besides if the point of hunting is to put meat on the table who cares how you killed it...

And one last thing... All of the people putting down "Baiters".... you better not be using fish finders when you are fishing because that is not REAL fishing LOL
Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sevi316
And one last thing... All of the people putting down "Baiters".... you better not be using fish finders when you are fishing because that is not REAL fishing LOL
I can not draw fish to my boat with a fish finder. Not seeing the comparison here.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Spike

Default Baiting?

Alright I'm confused now - Do I use artificial lures when I'm fishing or can I use actual live bait like worms and minnows. What about that garlic spray? I guess that is considered an attractant? Hey guys I love hunting - Find the legal method that allows you to be successful, and eat what you harvest.

As far as hunting shows, I'll watch most any day over half the other stuff that's on the tube. On a side note, I don't like the overall message that the game warden shows promote to the general public. However, having a good buddy as a game warden, I know there are quite a few idiots out there.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deal is all about the "Franklins". Remove the $$$$, and the shows go away. As far as some depicting "real hunting" in tough , free range conditions? Some do. But in my opinion these are in the minority.

There is no doubt that their is a ton of staged stuff, canned hunts, and for sure heavily edited footage. And that tends to communicate that killing a game animal such as white tails, mulies, moose, elk, cape buffalo, big horn sheep, mountain goats, cougars, feral hogs, etc. and all manner of small game .... is only a matter of going. Us folks that have been at
it for 10-20-30-40-50 or more years know better.

Last edited by Mojotex; 08-03-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

I couldn't agree more. I hunt to put meat on the table, enjoy the outdoors, and enjoy time with my friends. I don't use bait (can't in New York anyway) or a scoped wonder magnum rifle. I am 27 and relativley new to hunting (4 years) and before I went the first time, my head was filled with notions of products, rifle, etc. that I "needed". After my first hunting trip, I sold the "essential" rifle and bought a single shot handi rifle. That rifle's dropped a deer and a black bear allready. I have one set of hunting clothes and don't use scent lock either. I've seen people carry more high tech gear and gadgets into the woods than soldiers carry into combat. They buy every "latest and greatest" thing that's on the tv shows. Yet, they don't come home with more tags filled than anyone else (sometimes less actually). Kinda proves the point don't ya think?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

I wonder if my electronics buddy can covert a fish finder into a deer finder for me? Nothing in the regulations about that!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

This is pretty close. The day I see someone running around the woods "hunting" with one of these..I think I'm gonna pick a different sport.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=777438
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Bait is one more tool that we came up with to feed ourselves and our families when hunting was required to survive. Are you going to go back 100 years ago and tell my great grandfather that he wasn't a hunter, because he fed his family by baiting rabbits into traps? Deer to a corn field or favored oak tree? Fish to a hook with some other fish on it?

To anyone who would say so, I say Grow up, and stop trying to measure your own penis against everyone else's. Stop making yourself feel better about who you are, by badmouthing other people.

How bout we talk about what Hunting REALLY is... acquisition of food by way of killing an animal... bait is no different than the bow and arrow, rifle, spear, knife, deadfall, or any other tool ever used by man since the dawn of time. Tools used to HUNT, KILL, and EAT animals.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by StealthHtr22
I can not draw fish to my boat with a fish finder. Not seeing the comparison here.

No, but you're making fish bite that hook by either putting live bait or artificial bait on that hook. In this, there is no difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.