Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Are they realy doing our sport justice??? >

Are they realy doing our sport justice???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are they realy doing our sport justice???

Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Spike

Default The Big picture

I think the biggest problem is that according to some in the industry the footage is shot in an enclosed area but transfered to a different location for the TV show. There are also deer harvested on camera and if you look close they find a different deer the next day. In their rush to please all their sponsors they are willing to cut corners to keep them coming back.
The truth takes a back seat too many times.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

i hunt over corn.....i hunt deer,turkey,squirells,rabbits,dove,quail,waterfowl ,coon,bullfrogs,and much more,i spent half of my life with my mom in the city,take care of a few paets and farm animals,and have to keep up with friends and family....i dont have the time to do all that and spend half the year watching the woods waiting for a deer.i get to be in nature,see deer,have fun,and take a good buck...aint that what hunting is????
Old 07-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I watched Browning Outdoors or something like it this morning, and 4 people WALKED. WALKED within 50 yards of a herd of deer with about 5 bucks that people would kill to shoot, didn't scare any of them, and shot a buck. That is what I hate about these TV shows.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mortalcare
i hunt over corn.....i hunt deer,turkey,squirells,rabbits,dove,quail,waterfowl ,coon,bullfrogs,and much more,i spent half of my life with my mom in the city,take care of a few paets and farm animals,and have to keep up with friends and family....i dont have the time to do all that and spend half the year watching the woods waiting for a deer.i get to be in nature,see deer,have fun,and take a good buck...aint that what hunting is????
Sorry, but when I see "I hunt over corn" and "Aint that what hunting is" together in a post, I have to speak up to defend my views of what hunting really is.

No, what you said is not what hunting is about at all. Come down to Alabama and LEGALLY hunt a tract of private land surrounded by hunting clubs who feed corn year round and poach and see if you can take 120"-140" bucks every season like we do. That's hunting. Just because you're sitting in the woods playing angry birds on your phone while you wait for a deer to come to some corn doesn't mean you're "in" nature or a so called woodsman. People who hunt over corn and feel like they've done something when they kill a deer lack the skill, patience, humility, respect, experience, and woodsmanship it takes to even come close to what I believe a true hunter is. When you put the time and efforts into preparing the land year after year, and actually follow a deer trail or find a pile of crap and actually do some scouting, then come post something on here about what hunting is. When you really connect with the land you hunt and respect everything in it, your conscious won't allow you to sit over a pile of corn and feel like you've done something when you kill a "trophy", no matter how many deer the neighbors kill over their corn piles. I may catch some flak from a few guys here when I say this, but in my opinion if you don't have the time to pay your dues by doing some simple scouting and instead choose to sit over a corn pile and shoot deer like fish in a barrel, you don't deserve to kill a single deer. I'm a die hard turkey hunter and when I had a lot of time on my hands in school, I legally called in and killed at least 3 turkeys every year while the county poacher bagged 40+ birds year in and year out with his 17 hmr. Last year I got to go maybe 7 times and didn't kill a single bird. Towards the end of the season I could have cowered down and tossed out some bait for em, but I kept on hunting like I was taught to do no matter what happened. Sometimes you get em, sometimes you don't. You enjoy every single minute of what the outdoors has to offer on any given day. You start scouting months in advance to try and choose the best location to give you the best legal shot at a deer. You invite friends and family to come along and enjoy it with you, and guess what, if they kill a trophy buck, you actually feel as good or better than if you had killed it. You sit on the tailgate with a buddy and eat oatmeal cream pies and beanie weenie and swap past hunting stories you'll never forget. Sit around a camp fire and have a beer (or six) while planning the morning hunt and listening to the coyotes act up across the river. You lay in a sleeping bag and think about the very first deer you killed with your dad or granddad's old rifle and how big of a smile they had on their face when you held that deer up proudly. You wake up and give it all you got and hope that stand location is in the exact location to stop the old bruiser in his tracks. If you fail, you've learned something and you start putting together a new plan for next time. Sometimes you get em, sometimes you don't. That's what hunting is all about to me.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Change is always tough

A forty year old is never like a twenty year old. And a twenty year old never quite understands the forty year old.

And it gets tough to admit that you are older than that ancient major league ballplayer and sportsman, Chipper Jones.

And he thinks he's young too.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by buckmasterRob
I think you pretty much said all that can be said its the only way a city slicker can get a deer its no longer about nature or a good tasting meat its about antlers and bragging rights.
disagree,

while yes city slickers have their share of those,
usually those taking the easy way are the locals,
usually illegal bait piles are from the locals,
also its locals that generally poach the roadside deer,
not saying majority of locals are poachers,
but generally majority of poachers are locals

city slickers generally dont place bait in an area 2-3 hrs away that they will go to 1-3 times a season.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mortalcare

i wont get into whether hunting over bait is right or wrong,
if its legal there then its fine,
i dont hunt over bait here because its illegal to do so,
if law here allowed it would i hunt over bait? maybe, dont know.

i will take issue as to why you hunt bait,
i live in NYC, have land in upstate NY thats 6 hrs away,
rarely get to hunt that land,
when i do, time is usually very limited.
i also have a place in PA where i hunt public lands,
i am a weekend hunter,
some seasons may get out several times
some seasons may have 1 weekend to hunt,
last season didnt get out at all,
yet i still manage to learn the lands and scout.
once you learn an area, that knowledge stays with you a lifetime,
even though i rarely get out, i can go to several spots i know usually hold deer,
if i go and a pattern has changed, i can pretty much figure out what changed, and where the deer moved to,
wont take me all summer of scouting to figure out the change.

have limited time to hunt and want to fill that freezer as soon as possible? thats fine i have absolutely no gripes with that.
but to use bait because claim dont have time to learn the lands and patterns?
that i aint buying.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

I don't watch hunting shows anymore either. That crap is helping to put an end to hunting. It disgusts me and I hunt. Instead of asking hunters what they think about these shows, why not ask people that don't hunt but have nothing against hunting (Yet)? These are the people on the fence that hunters need on our side. All these clowns on TV are alienating the public that still accepts hunting.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
i quoted it off a guys post who posted above me it says it in the first sentence.
opps sorry... I missed that...
Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Terasec
i wont get into whether hunting over bait is right or wrong,
if its legal there then its fine,
i dont hunt over bait here because its illegal to do so,
if law here allowed it would i hunt over bait? maybe, dont know.

i will take issue as to why you hunt bait,
i live in NYC, have land in upstate NY thats 6 hrs away,
rarely get to hunt that land,
when i do, time is usually very limited.
i also have a place in PA where i hunt public lands,
i am a weekend hunter,
some seasons may get out several times
some seasons may have 1 weekend to hunt,
last season didnt get out at all,
yet i still manage to learn the lands and scout.
once you learn an area, that knowledge stays with you a lifetime,
even though i rarely get out, i can go to several spots i know usually hold deer,
if i go and a pattern has changed, i can pretty much figure out what changed, and where the deer moved to,
wont take me all summer of scouting to figure out the change.

have limited time to hunt and want to fill that freezer as soon as possible? thats fine i have absolutely no gripes with that.
but to use bait because claim dont have time to learn the lands and patterns?
that i aint buying.
buy it or not its the truth.....fer one im also 15 so i only scout with my dad, so we both need to have free time,and i have to scout and hunt all kinds of critters,my dads going to school to be an hvac technitian, and theirs alot going on in my life....i know dudes who forget they have familys,and friends and such, and just hit the woods every day and ya know what? their family and friends hate them because they feel neglected, mostly because they are. whille i love hunting, it dosent consume my life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.