Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Are they realy doing our sport justice??? >

Are they realy doing our sport justice???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are they realy doing our sport justice???

Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Spike

Default My thoughts

I hate to go against the grain guys, but I think there are quite a few hunting shows have helped make more people aware of the art of hunting. I do not refer to it as a sport because I think it is much more than a game. To me it is a way of life. That being said I watch hunting shows with my sons quite a bit. We discuss the size and age of the deer we see. We discuss whether someone made a good shot or not. I personally know some of the guys out there with shows right now, and I can guantee you that they have the same passion I have each time I step in the woods. We may not agree on every detail concerning hunting, but I know their love for it is authentic.

I have heard the public land vs. private land argument for years and I have hunted both extensively. The group of guys I hunt with are what I would call professional hunters. We have no endorsements or videos on the market, but we all have freezers full of venison and more animals than paintings on our walls. We understand wildlife management and do everything in our power to improve our local deer herds. We have spent years learning and sharing our experiences. Through that process, we have become better hunters. If I wanted to simply kill a legal deer, I could do it on almost any given weekend on public or private land with or without BAIT! Which brings up another point, what is bait? I have hunted public land that borders agricultural property. Should I avoid the natural funnels leading to those areas to give the deer a fighting chance - I think not. It is no different than hunting a hot white oak or a persimmon tree. I am a huge advocate for food plots on private land as well. If I can draw your deer to my area and build a healthier herd, I'm going to do it. If a 150 class buck comes over that works for me too. I will also use corn, soybeans, and protein in areas that won't grow successful food plots. I am a trophy hunter by choice. I fill my freezer with does during the early part of bow season so I can devote prime time for the big boys. We've had many people ask us over the years how we consistently kill big bucks. The answer is simple, we work at it 365 days a year. We have consistently killed some of the biggest bucks in the counties we hunt. It is partly because we know what we're doing, but more importantly because we put in the time it takes to be successful.

My kids will learn to hunt from me not a TV. I point out the good and bad as we watch any given show. Your point about caged deer is a good one Porkchop. Shooting a deer inside an enclosure is not hunting. I have not, and will not, participate or support high-fence hunting. I have heard all the arguments on both sides of that topic as well. The reality - money outweighs common sense. I do turn the channel when I see something taller than a 4 foot barbed-wire fence in the background. I'm just glad I still live in a country where I can watch a deer hunt on TV. In todays political climate there is no telling how long we'll get to enjoy that luxury.
Attached Thumbnails Are they realy doing our sport justice???-dscf0006.jpg  
Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

In answer to your topic, for the most part, No. There are still many good shows on the tube though. What many of the shows ingrain into peoples heads is that they can go out to hunt and they will harvest a monster buck in 30 minutes. LOL A foolish way of thinking. Or, that if they go on an outfitted hunt they will go home with a buck because all the guys on TV do. The people thinking this way have no concept of the reality of just how many hunts and hours in the stand it takes to get that 30 mins of video for a show.

We do food plots and usually have a stand on them or nearby. We also do salt licks and usually have a stand within range. By no means does it mean a for sure harvest of a monster buck, but will increase your odds of seeing one. If you look at Hunter Specialties, Prime Time Bucks 10, Alex Rutledge is hunting a monster in Illinois. He gets it close and in bow range, but cannot connect. He leaves for a couple weeks and comes back to try again and gets video of the buck, but never gets it close enough to make the shot. No Licks or food plots there, other than the harvested crops of the field. This old buck was bedded by the highway and the only thing you could do was try to intercept him on his way back to bed in the morning. Alex never did connect and the buck was shot by another hunter on opening day of first gun. They did send someone back to camp to get pics of it to put in the video. It green scored 210 and had a 12 inch droptine.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I hate to go against the grain guys, but I think there are quite a few hunting shows have helped make more people aware of the art of hunting. I do not refer to it as a sport because I think it is much more than a game. To me it is a way of life. That being said I watch hunting shows with my sons quite a bit. We discuss the size and age of the deer we see. We discuss whether someone made a good shot or not. I personally know some of the guys out there with shows right now, and I can guantee you that they have the same passion I have each time I step in the woods. We may not agree on every detail concerning hunting, but I know their love for it is authentic.

I have heard the public land vs. private land argument for years and I have hunted both extensively. The group of guys I hunt with are what I would call professional hunters. We have no endorsements or videos on the market, but we all have freezers full of venison and more animals than paintings on our walls. We understand wildlife management and do everything in our power to improve our local deer herds. We have spent years learning and sharing our experiences. Through that process, we have become better hunters. If I wanted to simply kill a legal deer, I could do it on almost any given weekend on public or private land with or without BAIT! Which brings up another point, what is bait? I have hunted public land that borders agricultural property. Should I avoid the natural funnels leading to those areas to give the deer a fighting chance - I think not. It is no different than hunting a hot white oak or a persimmon tree. I am a huge advocate for food plots on private land as well. If I can draw your deer to my area and build a healthier herd, I'm going to do it. If a 150 class buck comes over that works for me too. I will also use corn, soybeans, and protein in areas that won't grow successful food plots. I am a trophy hunter by choice. I fill my freezer with does during the early part of bow season so I can devote prime time for the big boys. We've had many people ask us over the years how we consistently kill big bucks. The answer is simple, we work at it 365 days a year. We have consistently killed some of the biggest bucks in the counties we hunt. It is partly because we know what we're doing, but more importantly because we put in the time it takes to be successful.

My kids will learn to hunt from me not a TV. I point out the good and bad as we watch any given show. Your point about caged deer is a good one Porkchop. Shooting a deer inside an enclosure is not hunting. I have not, and will not, participate or support high-fence hunting. I have heard all the arguments on both sides of that topic as well. The reality - money outweighs common sense. I do turn the channel when I see something taller than a 4 foot barbed-wire fence in the background. I'm just glad I still live in a country where I can watch a deer hunt on TV. In todays political climate there is no telling how long we'll get to enjoy that luxury.
Great looking Son and he's got him a keeper.I agree with all you shared,there is more than one way of looking at these issues for sure.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Spike

I can tell you this: I am very well connected in the hunting world and keep up with just about every aspect of it except cross bows because I think they are a ridiculous way to hunt. I have close friends who filmed hunts for these big ticket shows and by the end they are sick to theirs stomach every time. It takes DAYS upon DAYS and atempt upon atempt to get the video just right, picture perfect. In the end its ALL staged, walking up to the animal, the bait, the food plot ect. If you were to put in the sweat for your own food plot it would still be nothing like the TV shows. You have outfitters giving up monster deer they have been watching for years only for 15 minutes of fame. These shows do very little of their own leg work, they might as well shoot them at the zoo. I too once had set it as a personal goal to make a few appearances on these hunting shows until I was told what goes on behind the scenes from people who film and produce these shows. If you love the sport, if you breathe the sport and spend every waking minute thinkng about it like I do, then dont ruin it for your self with these fake TC shows......next think you know they will be shooting Boone and Crocket Unicorns!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by AvidHunterAbe
I can tell you this: I am very well connected in the hunting world and keep up with just about every aspect of it except cross bows because I think they are a ridiculous way to hunt. I have close friends who filmed hunts for these big ticket shows and by the end they are sick to theirs stomach every time. It takes DAYS upon DAYS and atempt upon atempt to get the video just right, picture perfect. In the end its ALL staged, walking up to the animal, the bait, the food plot ect. If you were to put in the sweat for your own food plot it would still be nothing like the TV shows. You have outfitters giving up monster deer they have been watching for years only for 15 minutes of fame. These shows do very little of their own leg work, they might as well shoot them at the zoo. I too once had set it as a personal goal to make a few appearances on these hunting shows until I was told what goes on behind the scenes from people who film and produce these shows. If you love the sport, if you breathe the sport and spend every waking minute thinkng about it like I do, then dont ruin it for your self with these fake TC shows......next think you know they will be shooting Boone and Crocket Unicorns!
i dont know why people are against crossbows. if people want to use them let them be, they most likely use them if they arent comfortable hitting and killing a deer with a bow. It could ensure less wounded deer running around. Plus they could help more people get into the sport? just my opinion though.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Question huh????

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
i dont know why people are against crossbows. if people want to use them let them be, they most likely use them if they arent comfortable hitting and killing a deer with a bow. It could ensure less wounded deer running around. Plus they could help more people get into the sport? just my opinion though.

where did this come from? no mention of xbows in the post...
Old 07-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Entertainment........

I watch a few of these and I take them as I do anyother show I watch,,,, ENTERTAINMENT. Their a running commercial that get paid to sell product! If you don't like them...do as I do and change the channel!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

i quoted it off a guys post who posted above me it says it in the first sentence.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Spike

James hit the nail on the head on every point in my opinion. As far as crossbows comment avid made, I felt the same as Avidhunter at first and thought they were ridiculous, and in a sense still do. I rag my little brother constantly about it(hes 17 and perfectly healthy.) However my dad after several shoulder surgerys and buldging disk in his lower back he just cant hold full draw very well, nor take multiple shots practicing with us. He was due to upgrade his PSE nova and decided if we was going to make a $1200+ investment it was going to be with some thing he would be able to use for years to come.

Our bow season is from Sept. 11th through end of season with black powder not coming in until nov.1 and rifle nov20th, through Jan1. So sitting from sept 11th til nov,1 is a long time to wait, and a ton of time for pressure to put on the woods and push the deer out or more nocturnal for my dad to not be able to get into the woods due to his handicaps.

So in certain situations, I believe crossbows are perfectly ok. In others man up and go full draw !
Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

hate to keep turning this thread in the wrong direction ha but i am a young guy in good shape. I play college baseball and played at a high level in football in highschool and i was one of the happiest people ever when they legalized crossbows in my state... dont get me wrong, i prefer a compound bow to any other form of weapon but their were some saturday mornings after a friday night football game where i could barely get out of bed at 430 in the morning.. let alone pull a bow back...i would have hated to not be able to hunt those mornings because i didnt have an actual handicap... I could also take my little sister with me.... all in all i agree with the crossbow legalization

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.