Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stopping deer

Old 07-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Spike

Default Stopping deer

alright guys ive got two stands inbetween foodplots and bedding areas with shooting lanes but my question is how can i get the deer to stop their on their way to food or bed? should i put a small feeder out? thanks jd
Old 07-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

Stop them?

Just shoot them when they walk past. They should give you plenty of opportunity.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

I stop them with a .243 or an arrow
Old 07-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

You could spread a little corn out here and there if it is legal in your state. Just try to stay as scent free as possible while you are doing it. And get in and out as quick as possible.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've put a couple of drops of buck lure on the ground right where I want them to stop.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

use those shooting lanes as something that deer want to walk through... i usually make two types of lanes, multiple small gaps that are specifically for shooting and one or two long wide lines that are for makeing the deer stop... i cut these lanes aout 8 to 10 yrds wide and go in preseason and rake all the leaves in these lanes a plant a small throw and grow type seed in these spots... between the bedding areas and main food source deer will pass in between and pick up a snack. Of course, corn would work just as well but that is not legal in alot of states, like where i live in alabama.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just put up STOP signs on the trails, make it a 4 way and you can give out tickets to offenders.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Spike

Default w

wil putting throw and grow in the shooting lanes stop the deer from going into the foodplot? thanks jd
Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Johnydeer
wil putting throw and grow in the shooting lanes stop the deer from going into the foodplot? thanks jd
well throw and grow stinks from the fertilizer, i'd imagine it wouldnt taste good at 1st, but after a good rain the fertilizer should be gone, the seed will germinate into a plant itll be ok.

i dunno where your plot is vs the lane, but i wouldnt think it would detour the deer from the gravy train.

ya got a pic of the area, cause there are 1000 solutions for 100 different scenarios
Old 07-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

idk but i love putting finger plots in the woods near feeding spots.they will stop there in daylight hours before going to feed........as for your sitution i would put a decoy with some scent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.