Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help me age this guy.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VA5326
Good to know. thanks! Learn something new everyday. Where did you study at???
What makes ya think I studied somewhere? Lmao
Old 07-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TURKEY FAN
What makes ya think I studied somewhere? Lmao

Some of the language you used. If not, then don't take offense to it.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TURKEY FAN
There is no freakin way that deer is that old! Lmao his neck and shoulders stilll have muscle seperation! Brother I know your from texas but damn son! Lol u should look up on the web of known aged deer and look at the differences in body structure. You don't just age a deer based off the size of bone on its head.
yeah, no way..you are right.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VA5326
Some of the language you used. If not, then don't take offense to it.
Oh no brother I didn't take it offensively lol thanks for the compliment tho! Im just really addicted to deer like most on this site. I read and write articles alot about whitetails and have over 20 yrs of huntin exp lol
Old 07-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is actually fairly easy to mistake a 9 year old deer for a 3 or 4 year old deer. The giveaway indicators though are the head, neck and rump. Also, muscle tone. The head will continue to have the loose skin, and the eyes will still be squinty, as in other mature bucks. The rump, however, will lose mass, not appearing rounded anymore. It won't be smoothly squared off like a young buck. It will be bony looking. The back may also be bony looking. Even the shoulders won't look so well muscled, and the neck certainly won't. I've noticed also that just like old men tend to get gray hair, an old buck tends to look lighter in color than other deer in the area. Not gray so much, but more of a lighter brown. Often, the hair also appears course.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
It is actually fairly easy to mistake a 9 year old deer for a 3 or 4 year old deer. The giveaway indicators though are the head, neck and rump. Also, muscle tone. The head will continue to have the loose skin, and the eyes will still be squinty, as in other mature bucks. The rump, however, will lose mass, not appearing rounded anymore. It won't be smoothly squared off like a young buck. It will be bony looking. The back may also be bony looking. Even the shoulders won't look so well muscled, and the neck certainly won't. I've noticed also that just like old men tend to get gray hair, an old buck tends to look lighter in color than other deer in the area. Not gray so much, but more of a lighter brown. Often, the hair also appears course.

Do you have any pics? I would love to see the difference between a 9yo and a 4yo.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

I missed this buck on 11-12-11.
My arrow nicked a brand and sent it into a tree.
My trail camera caught the video.

Here is the video of the miss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxeJ3Nv4PtY