Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Morning Hunts/How Early

Old 08-08-2011, 03:12 AM
Spike

I am generally in the woods 60 - 90 minutes before day break. That way i can get to the stand quietly, get settled in, and let my eyes adjust. Once i hear the crickets stop and the birds start, is when i normally see deer in my area.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by minnesotadeer
Conversely, if you are hunting near or pass by a bedding area on the way to stand, it can be helpful to stalk in at first light versus bumping them out in the pre-dawn darkness. A wise old hunter i know doesn't start heading toward his gun season stand until shooting light for this very reason and has many big bucks to show for it.
I've often wondered if it would be better to go in just at morning light if you have a stand already hung. It would alow you to get in quicker and maybe a little bit quiter being able to see twigs and things you may step on in the dark which sound so loud in the morning when all is quite.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

I always get to the stand 30-60 mins before daybreak when hunting. We do the same with our hunters.

Doetrain, if you go in when it is still dark, you will get in spooking less deer, most likely. You get settled in and will be there for what may move through at the 1st light. If you go in when it is light enough to see, anything withing several hundred yards can also see you. JMO
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deerdust
I always get to the stand 30-60 mins before daybreak when hunting. We do the same with our hunters.

Doetrain, if you go in when it is still dark, you will get in spooking less deer, most likely. You get settled in and will be there for what may move through at the 1st light. If you go in when it is light enough to see, anything withing several hundred yards can also see you. JMO
After thinking about it I would have to agree deerdust. I have only had deer blow on me in the dark twice and never in the daylight because I was already in place. I figure I have hunted in the morning hours at least 3 dozen times over the past two seasons so I see no reason to change my habit of getting in my stand before daylight.