Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do u believe in scent lock?

Old 07-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do u believe in scent lock?

Who here uses scent lock and believes in the product? I for one have never used it. But I do have my little routine I do to stay as scen free as possible. Was curious if the garments help.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will let you know after this coming season. My wife got me a scent lock outfit for Christmas, so this will be my first year using it.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure it helps reduce scent and it might help you not get busted...

Problem is, I've deer hunted almost 45 years without it and killed well
over 300 deer...So is it really necessary or a marketing ploy???
Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe that Scent Lok has made a lot of money on a product that is questionable IMHO. When they take trained bloodhounds and do unbiased testing I might consider it. Hunt the wind, it works.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a sceptic. I do not believe in them personally.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

I have used it and got busted. Not used it and not got busted and every other combination. I am sure it helps. I am sure good hygiene and playing the wind is the most effective.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I don't use it. I do take other precautions though. You can't just ignore the wind like some commercials assert.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

This has been a highly debated topic for many years. There are many people that swear by it. I have seen many use it and get busted. The idea behind it is that the carbon absorbs your odor. The problem is that it can only absorb so much before it has to be reactivated. This is where the problem is. To reactivate the carbon in the suit you would have to burn it in a fire as your dryer is not hot enough. I am sure that brand new, it will work for a short time though.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

BTW there are other products on the market that work. One of them is a sponsor of ours, though their website is not up yet. It is a technology supposedly used in space suits. Think about it, they can't bath while they are in space, so they would get pretty rank.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

The problem is that it can only absorb so much before it has to be reactivated. This is where the problem is. To reactivate the carbon in the suit you would have to burn it in a fire as your dryer is not hot enough. I am sure that brand new, it will work for a short time though.
True and well said. But here is the problem with it working even when it's new. Despite all the handling instructions recommended for it when you get it home all of these garments are hanging out open on a rack at the store. So odds are it's already completely saturated when you buy it. And as you point out it cannot be reactivated by a household dryer. I have also seen some people online who tested this stuff. Not only did it fail to mask a persons scent from an animals nose but they also did something that most consumers would never do considering how much this stuff costs. They cut one of these suits open. The "SCANT" amount of carbon in the lining of these suits was startling to see even for a skeptic like myself who already considered them a scam. I have sprinkled more pepper on a plate of stewed squash than there was inside the thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.