Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do u believe in scent lock?

Old 07-20-2011, 05:27 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

"9. And finally these suits are kind of like the old "Miracle Diet Pill 3000" scam. Just take this pill, jog 4 miles a day, eat a low Calorie diet and watch Miracle Diet Pill 3000 melt the pounds away. LoL! The people who buy these suits are encouraged to shower in scent killer soap; keep these suits in a plastic bag when you aren't wearing them in the woods; spray down with scent killer spray; only put on the outer layer of clothing once in the woods; etc; etc;. LOL! If you did all that with your regular hunting clothes you would be just as well off. Don't credit the suit. Credit yourself. LOL!"

Yes, and they'll also ell you to hunt downwind.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was reminded last night why I don't believe it works.Was watching one of my Bone Collector DVD's and Nick was hunting in Kansas I believe. A big Buck got behind him and he said to the cameraman,"He's going to get our wind" well the Buck busted them sitting there in their Scent Lock outfits which I clearly saw them wearing.I have seen this happen time and time again,so why should I buy it?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

I keep my regular old hunting clothes in a plastic bin with some cedar shavings and pine needles. I also try to hunt at least 20' up in the air. This combination seems to work well enough for me.

I try to take the wind in consideration, but a lot of time the wind changes directions, and also the deer come from a direction I wasn't expecting about as often as they come from the direction I was expecting. So I just try to limit my scent and hunt high up in a tree.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey alex! Thanks for joining in on the topic! How's about sending me a sample of your product to test out?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

I think a deer's sense of smell is highly over rated, especially during early bow season. The brush and leaves absorb and block your scent. If you hunt on the ground, it is fairly easy to see that their sense of smell is restricted before the leaves come down. Once the leaves are down they rely on their eye sight. I see deer get up at 300 yards + when they spot a hunter and sneak off. There is no way that they scent those guys. Deer can not tell how far away you are by scent on a slight breeze either. I have already sat in thickets with doe 10 feet in front of me and a slight breeze towards them and had them start checking up in the trees behind me. So much for all that cover scent nonsense.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

My hunting camo/clothes do the following: Keep me warm,concealed,DEADLY!!!! While some innovations do prove worthy, in my woods I HUNT! If my success depended soley on my clothes, I'd probably be the guy up in a tree drooling at the monster bucks passing by out of range. If it makes you feel more confident/patient then use it but, don't forget the basics and be versatile. I don't use scent-lok and I don't care to! Just my opinion.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

From my experience I believe, when used properly, it can help decrease but not completely mask human odor.

I use Scent Lok but I still play the wind when possible. If a deer ends up downwind, I'm praying my scent dispersion is minimized enough that I do not get busted. The suit is just part of my scent "minimization" process. So does it work? For me, I believe it does what I ask it to.

I'll be writing a blog dedicate to about scent elimination this season. Keep an eye out for it.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

There's only one product that works. It's not very prestigious, but it's free. It's called staying down wind.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Spike

turk fan,What I do know is that Ive been wearing the same scent lock suit for 5 years.is it clogged up?does it work?A @#$#@%^%$load of deer (quality deer)say it certainly doesn't hurt!!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The site would not take my answer so I added enough characters .... my answer to your question .... nope.