HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Do u believe in scent lock? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/346817-do-u-believe-scent-lock.html)

PY Antlers 07-17-2011 08:34 AM

If used properly it helps, like all the other items a bowhunter uses. It's simply a tool that can help tip the odds in your favor, even if there slight, sometimes thats all you need is slight to get the shot. I too hunted for years without it and was succesful, but if it helps slightly and I'm going to wear camo anyway...IMO why not wear it.

Todd1700 07-17-2011 09:43 AM

Facts
1. Fresh unsaturated activated carbon will adsorb some odor molecules

2. It is hanging out on a open rack at the store so it's probably saturated when you buy it

3. It cannot be reactivated by a household dryer or anything that wouldn't incinerate it

4. The amount of carbon in the lining is minuscule to start with

5. All scientific tests have shown it does not work

6. All believers can spout is ancillary (faith based) evidence that it is of any benefit

7. Some people believe copper wrist bands and magnets help arthritis. They're wrong too

8. People I know that own these suits get busted just as often as I do

9. And finally these suits are kind of like the old "Miracle Diet Pill 3000" scam. Just take this pill, jog 4 miles a day, eat a low Calorie diet and watch Miracle Diet Pill 3000 melt the pounds away. LoL! The people who buy these suits are encouraged to shower in scent killer soap; keep these suits in a plastic bag when you aren't wearing them in the woods; spray down with scent killer spray; only put on the outer layer of clothing once in the woods; etc; etc;. LOL! If you did all that with your regular hunting clothes you would be just as well off. Don't credit the suit. Credit yourself. LOL!

Sheridan 07-17-2011 09:57 AM

Yes, until you put it on ! LOL

*twodogs* 07-18-2011 06:33 AM

Used them, killed deer with them. As a kid, Scent Lok / Scent Blocker was never around, killed deer then as well. Your best bet is to play the wind, there is no better advice than playing the wind.

map1 07-18-2011 08:32 AM

I have a buddy who bowhunts around 50 days a year and swears by it. He says if your gun or muzzy hunting forget it due to the smell of gun powder,oil etc... I don't believe it can possibly work as well since deer can smell so well and since most of your scent comes out of your mouth and the portion around your eyes you don't cover. I even talked to a scent loc employee and he said you only need the long underwear. What bugs me the most is when hunting celebrities are always touting them. I also laugh when they spray down with scent killer and miss 3/4 of their body. Even if it worked you would need to soak every square inch of your body and equipment.

nodog 07-18-2011 12:12 PM

People amaze me. Just a country boy but I reactivate my clothes all the time and they continue to absorb stink time and time again. It's called washing people.

I use the product and like it alot. Figure out what makes it different and you'll see why it contains and absorbs stink.

Todd1700 07-18-2011 05:44 PM

Figure out what makes it different and you'll see why it contains and absorbs stink.
What would that be that we haven't already covered?

bmorris 07-18-2011 10:05 PM

27% coverage ?

Originally Posted by scent1992 (Post 3824447)
Not trying to spam here just trying to shed some light on our technology and what it does for you in the woods. First, we completely agree with all of you...partially. There is no substitute for being a smart hunter and situating your stands for the wind to work in your advantage.

We always say that nothing can make up for poor hunting habits. If you pump gas in your hunting clothes or wear your activated carbon in the house, you are only hurting yourself and not utilizing the ability of the activated carbon clothing. That being said if you use good woodsmanship and store your activated carbon clothing properly, it will definitely give you an edge. I like to explain it to people that it's a tool that will buy you time and provide opportunities.

To explain what I mean imagine this scenario. You are in your treestand 30 yards from a thick swamp. There is a slight swirling wind that you know will have the deer on edge. A nice buck steps out and you can tell that he senses something, but can't quite locate it or identify where it is. It might seem like he is catching a sense of danger from 60 or 100 yards off, but it's not enough to spook him. He takes a few more cautious steps providing you with a perfect broadside shot. Due to your good scent control practices and your activated carbon Scent-Lok clothing, you are at least half the distance to that deer than he thinks you are.

So by using our products you will not only see more deer, but likely have more chances at deer within effective range. If you weren't wearing Scent-Lok that deer would have likely gotten a stronger whiff of you and would have never even stepped out from the thick cover.

As far as the cost is concerned, I guess that depends on what your description of "worth it" is. If you are already investing hundreds if not thousands of dollars in bow/gun equipment, trail cameras, leases, gas to and from your hunting spot, etc. wouldn't you want to pay just a few dollars more to gain an extra edge on the deer you spend so much time hunting? Our activated carbon technology clothing is only about $50-$75 more than what you would pay for quality NON activated carbon clothing. So for just $50 more you are getting scent control technology in a garment that is some of if not the most durable and high quality fabrics and feel that you will find anywhere. For as much time and money I invest in chasing whitetails, I want to make sure I can have every advantage and odd in my favor.

Is it the magic fairy dust that is going to solve every issue? Definitely not, but with good scent control practices, using your head and doing your homework Scent-Lok can do for you what it has done for thousands of others and that's allow you to see more deer and give you more opportunities than you have had before.

Again, not trying to spam here, just trying to provide some information. We love seeing topics like this being discussed by hunters. You guys are the first priority for manufacturers like us. We have always and will always continue to strive to bring you the best most effective products in hunting apparel. Stay safe and good hunting!

Alex
Scent-Lok Technologies

Alex:

Please note your own carbon expert ,Dr Amos Turk testified under oath that your product was ineffective in stopping human odor. Do you deny that was his testimony ?

Another PHD. Dr. Miller examined the scentlok material and testified that there was only 27% carbon coverage on you material and that left 73% of the material unable to stop human odor. Do you deny his testimony ?

bmorris 07-18-2011 10:18 PM

Dogs win - carbon loses

Originally Posted by Bipolar Hippo (Post 3824474)
Field and Stream did a test in this months issue, the dog found the guy at the same time (~15 sec) in all three scenarios (stinky, scent spray, and full suit). spend the money on a new gun or bow instead. Play the wind.

Dog test Done'
John Shivik did a USDA Cerified test with 21 test
Score Dogs 21 Carbon 0

Fox News TV Fox 9 Mpls
Score Dogs 2 Carbon 0

Myth Busters Discovery Channel
Score Dog 1 Carbon 0

Smaxwell on youtube
Score Dog 1 Carbon 0

There have been many more test as well some recorded some not and still the dogs have won every time. Carbon keeps coming up with lame excuses why animals are smelling human odor.

Some food for thought - You can beat a deer and a dogs nose. I've seen it done in this kind of testing.

bmorris 07-20-2011 05:26 AM

No Responce ???

I really didn't expect a responce from Alex at Scentlok. They don't have one. Why do you think they sealed most of their testimony at their trials. They were caught with their pants down and just are trying to bluff and continue to fool hunter's about their products.