Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Make your own rules!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try to keep it simple and make sure all your members like each other and get along well. With that said, I don't do clubs anymore, I follow the state game laws and set my own goals. I lease or have land with my girlfriend and Dad.

Last edited by LKNCHOPPERS; 07-14-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Too many hunters for 500 acres.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default It reminds me. . .

that rules for a hunting club or leased hunting land, can be as onerous, it seems to me, as that of a housing sub-division association.

If I had rules, it was to mostly hunt public land, stay in physical shape, so I could get away far enough from the trails and roads, that were the near attractive hunting sites for the couch potatoes.

Of course I'm getting too old to participate in those required spring time management deer food plot "farming", or "plowing, sowing and planting" days, just to see the crops wither in summer drought. I've seen a few of those in recent years.

Good luck son, with all your rules.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Fork Horn

be respectful and honest...i would have other rules,but if they followed these two,we would get allong
Old 07-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Most hunters haven't farmed...I tell them, take 20 cows and put them on 10 acres and you'll have 20 skinny cows...Drop down to 5 cows and they'll be healthy...

Most can start to understand when you make it that simple...Less deer mean the ones there get the best nutrition...

We use to see 40-50 deer an evening in one field, this was back in the early 80s...My brothers and I got busy and also got help from friends, nephews, nieces, etc...It took about 10 years to get things in check...We still see 6-10 deer an evening but the biggest change has been nicer bucks and more chasing during daylight hours...
I learned this the hard way...with disease.when we first got this property,it was rare to have more then one hunt a year,get in,shoot as many deer as you want,get out cuz they keep coming.then three years ago bluetounge came.....now we still have deer problems
Old 07-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Four or five members on five hundred acres is more than enough huntes on five hundred acres in my opinion. If you draw for first choice hunting spots then rotate it weekly and if you aren't to the check in board by a certain time then next in line gets their choice, no need for one person having that kind of rights for the entire season. Everybody shares stands. Keep the guest numbers to an absolute minimum with one or two days per guest maximum. I like to just follow state laws on what to shoot, just have a good time.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Take a doe before a buck
No 2.5 year olds
Old 07-18-2011, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

As far as hunting spots go, we work on the first come first serve. We have a board up with locations of all stands. You must come to camp before sitting stand and put your name to the stand number you are hunting for the day.