Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What's the reason you hunt deer? >

What's the reason you hunt deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: What are you after?
Strictly a meat hunter. Whatever walks by it's going down
25.58%
Nothing but nice bucks.
4.65%
A little of both. I take a few for meat, the look for a big one.
69.77%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

What's the reason you hunt deer?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Spike

I hunt and film hunts because it fullfils me.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt deer because they don't have a season for mother in laws yet.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only been hunting for two years but I have fished and camped since I was 13 years old with my dad and others who introduced this city boy to the country. I enjoy being out doors and engaging all that is living around me and the woods are alive with living things just as the lakes and streams. I eat what I catch and harvest while hunting and have come to like Deer meat more than beef or pork. If I could eat it every week I would,also Elk and Bison which I find delicious. It is great medicine for the spirit and soul to step out of the busy life I live and settle down into a blind or my climber for a day of hunting. There are times of boredom but for the most part I enjoy it even if I don't see any deer or get a shot at one. I hope to enter the season a little more relaxed than last year so that it will be more like my first year when I did'nt know what to expect. The one thing I would like to have change is having a buddy who likes to hunt as much as I do,I think it would be a richer expierence with a close friend out there with me. But the sollitude at times is nice and I benefit from it greatly. As others have said the challenge of out thinking these creatures is rewarding as well especially when you have put a lot of time in preparing to hunt them.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

There are so many reasons I hunt and fish. I am a responsible hunter and really push the conservation aspect of hunting. I also want it around for future generations! I also like being outdoors and spending time with friends and the kids to teach them the importance of conservation through responsible hunting. I also eat everything I shoot and shoot everything I like to eat I like the fresh air, cutting loose stress of work and bills. In short it is my release.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I hunt for sport and the meat. Face it, you can't buy such lean natural meat in a store. That said, I only shoot what I can use, and don't waste a speck of meat. Processing and then cooking and eating the deer is all part of the sport.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
None of the above...

I too, grew up hunting, could walk out the back door and hunt...I was hunting by myself by the time I was 10...

We own 3 farms, about 850 acres...We grow corn, soybeans, peanuts and wheat...We have to keep the local herd under control or we'll have no crops...For the past 20 years we have killed 40-50 deer a year, most are does and all are eaten...

I love to cook and host other hunters...A 90 pound year and a half year old doe is good eating if prepared properly...

I also bow hunt and have hunted with flintlock rifles since the 70s...This keeps the hobby interesting...

I could care less about killing big bucks...I know what needs to be killed to help keep the population in balance and I also know what type deer I prefer to eat...

I've seen guys come up to hunt that ruined the hunt for everyone else because they either missed or wounded a big buck or were dissapointed because someone else killed one and they didn't...I've also seen them come back to camp and when asked what they say they would say, "Nothing but a bunch of does"...When asked why didn't they take one they'd say "I don't eat deer and don't want to kill a doe, I want to kill a buck"...Some even kill a smaller buck when the big buck doesn't show up, passing up does in the process...

These guys have made a job out of hunting, they don't enjoy it, it's a competition to them...Hunting is a hobby, it's about enjoy nature, helping others have fun and giving back and improving habitat...It's not about killing trophys...Man started hunting for food, yet many don't eat or cook what they kill, they just want to brag about the results...

Why do I spend days in the woods in the fall??? Because I love nature...There is always plenty to watch...One afternoon last year, I climbed 20 feet up in a tree and settled in only to find that directly across from me, not 30 feet away were 2 young coons taking a nap in the crouch of a big white oak...Another morning, I watched a spider making a web in the tree I was in...That's why I hunt...
Amen Brother!
Old 07-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt because I live in America and I can!

At least until Obama gets his way and takes all of our guns away from us.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Spike

I hunt for many reasons. First off the keep a tradition alive. Nobody in my family hunts, When I met my wife Her father and grandfather turned me onto hunting, i have never looked back. I hunt to relaxe, spend time with family, and to see if I can't outsmart one of the smartest animals on earth. I would take a doe or a buck which I have have many under my belt, including the largest nontypical taken in Ma. back in 2008. Its really neat to be sitting in a tree stand and see all the wildlife that never even knows you are around. I've seen moose, racoons, fisher cats, other hunters that never saw me ( in bright orange) and coyote. I look foward to teaching my son and any other kids I have the tradition of hunting and respecting firearms. I like to say " work hard, but hunt harder!"
Old 07-14-2011, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

None of the above for me too, there's much much more to it than what is being polled. It goes beyond big bucks and eating. For me, hunting is special place filled with a cornucopia of details waiting to be oserved and captured by the mind. It's a challenge within a moment of time. It's a sunrise and a sunset, It's life and it is also death. I hunt because hunting helps remind me of how privileged I am to be alive. I hunt to help and share whenever I can. It sustains my being.

Magic, I thoroughly enjoy my mother in law. I would pass on that tag. LOL.....

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 07-14-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:10 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Another aspect of hunting is all the preparation, which often occurs many months before the actual hunting takes place. I very much enjoy this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.