Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting Rule sheet!

Old 07-10-2011, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some good points made

As an old timer, it amazes me how much money is put into hunting. To a point, everyone can develop their own system, as long as it is state legal. And if it's lots and lots of money, it never was really me.
As a deceased uncle taught a young man, "Use it, don't abuse it." Some will refuse to use something, thinking it is evil. Some will use it and some will exceed the use and wind up abusing the opportunity.

I noticed the weight gain of Americans over the last fifteen years. Regardless of the rules, strict or less strict, you wonder just how many hunters will be able to even walk 300 yards into the woods?

But what do I know. I spent the last twenty or so years, staying in shape in the off season, so I could carry the tree stand climber, into and out of the woods. And sometimes drag out a harvested deer on the way out too, all alone. And that definitely wouldn't be part of modern QDM rules.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

PY,

My complete respect! If hunting were easy, you probably wouldn't do it. I totally respect your conservation efforts and the degree of difficulty you have applied to your hunting. There's nothing wrong with your thinking...

None of us should frown upon record books, they fill a very important roll in the conservation and preservation field. If you think about it, without them, we wouldn't have a lot of the hunting opportunities we have today. I completely support SCI-not because I want to see my name (I admit it happens and I feel good), but rather to give back to the support of wildlife and our hunting endowment. Please do look into SCI's World Hunting Award Program. It challenges hunters on an unbelievable level. You compete against nobody but yourself. Horns and inches are a very small part of the over all framework. It's a great program which allows you to give back and feel happy about doing so!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a deceased uncle taught a young man, "Use it, don't abuse it."
Wise words Valentine. Totally spot on! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

i dont think theres anything wrong with raiseing the bar,id rather see the next generation be more picky then live by the saying if its brown its down.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Spike

When you go to the local womans club is bigger always better?To some yes some no same goes for deer,to each there own.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Spike

I am really tired of hearing about rack size etc. Hunting was and still should be about putting food on the table. This macho mine is bigger than yours stuff is tiresome. As long as it is legal then it is fair game. Some of us do not have the luxury of thousands or even hundreds of acres to hunt. I have only a very small area and have not seen a deer the last two years. I want meat not a trophy.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

What ? "Can't harvest" ? Look, I may be way out there ... but I do not, I have not and I never will consider what I do in hunting deer as "harvesting". That is some double speak, mamby-pamby wording for the purpose of who knows what the he%%%, I have no clue !?! I hunt deer ... I shoot deer ... I kill deer. It is not the same as purposefully rearing an animal for the commercial market or personal use. If it was, we'd be "harvesting". All of this ad stuff has one and only one purpose .... it is all about the Franklins.

What we'd best never lose sight of is that this is supposed to be a challenge and remain a fun time, filled with fellowship and the building of memories. Look, I am as excited as anyone else when I luck into a big buck. But I am not a "trophy only" hunter. I have been at it since 1962. I have one "trophy". I keep the freezer full of venison. But I am certainly not "David Crockett". Just lucky becasue where I hunt there is an abundance of deer. Every season now for at least 9 years we have killed about 100 -115 deer off the 3150 acres that we hunt. It is absolutely a simple process for a hunter that will go 6-8 times a year to kill 2-3-4 does each season for meat. And it is not unusual to bag a decent buck every year if you go a few days at the right time. It is however very, very unusual to ever see a buck in the 150 class, much less bag one.

I once hunted in a "trophy club". Two seasons. Minimum was a 140 with a count of 8 points. And each member had to kill 5 does/year. The property was a free ranging, approx. 9,000 acres of great habitate. Plenty of deer. Plenty of excellent bucks. But is was the most miserable 2 seasons I ever spent hunting. Because there was bickering. One Saturday a 13 year old, during Chistmas break, sitting with his dad, shot his first buck off a food plot. It was a fine 9 pt. It green scored 136 B&C ... after deducting for the 5" long, 9 th. point !!! He and his dad were ragged out by the long time members. I left that day and never returned. Jeese !!! What a mess !

Stay legal .... shoot what you'll use .... have fun. It is that simple.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Spike

We try and shoot the biggest and oldest buck we can and it has nothing to do with anything macho. We have a long season up here and we are lucky enough to have a lot of time to spend hunting. Targeting a bigger buck makes the hunt more challenging and makes it that much more rewarding when we get a nice one. It allows us to spend more time outdoors. We also shoot a couple does in areas where there are alot of deer to try and help manage the herd. We adhere to the QDMA principles which has nothing to do with antler size, but rather health of the herd, balancing the sex ratio, etc. One of the most important factors in doing this is to allow young bucks to reach maturity. That being said I have no problem with anyone shooting young bucks if thats what they want. I will be the first to congratulate them. The most important part is people are out hunting and enjoying the outdoors with friends and family, the size of the rack is not important compared to the enjoyment of the experience.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

iv never felt the need to brag about any critters iv killed,its a personal best thing.a trophys alot of things to diffrent ppl.could be the rack size or it could be the experience.why worry about what other ppl think so much.if u hunt because of the need to brag you shouldnt be a hunter.btw i am a trophy hunter but im not one to judge either.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

iv never felt the need to brag about any critters iv killed,its a personal best thing.a trophys alot of things to diffrent ppl.could be the rack size or it could be the experience.why worry about what other ppl think so much.if u hunt because of the need to brag you shouldnt be a hunter.btw i am a trophy hunter but im not one to judge either.
More wise words. Skinner, I tip my hat and salute your wisdom.