Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting Rule sheet!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Spike

Default Deer hunting Rule sheet!

I've read alot of ads that say you can't harvest a deer under 4.5 years old or under 150"...I know big deer are big buisness but "really"!I enjoy deer hunting way too much to ever restrict myself! "Big" deer,hunting is killing the core of the sport!JMHO!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Spike

Either that or it is just a different sport all together!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it is legal, then have a good time!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends what you want and what you'd be happy with.

If I want meat, I'd much rather take a doe than a 115" 6 or 8pt buck that's 1.5yo or a button buck.

Most bucks shot here in IL I would say are 2.5yo or 1.5yo, a 3.5yo or older is a big buck here!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Most people couldn't tell you the age of a deer by looking at it, so that would be a bit extreme. Nothing under 150", again is a bit extreme. People that live in states with small bodied deer, have a tough time judging the size of the rack on something like the Mid-West bucks larger bodies. If the state you are in has deemed something legal for you to shoot, such as it needs to have a certain # of points on one side, then those are the guidelines you have to follow. If you don't, then you are poaching. Or if you are hunting with an outfitter that says you need to shoot above a certain size, or pay a penalty fee. Some outfitters penalty fees are a bit extreme IMO, but the reason the state or the outfitter do this is the same reason. It is called Deer Management. If you don't protect the herd you have, then you won't have any.

But if it is legal in your state to shoot spikes, fork horns, and basket racks, and you are happy to shoot them and you use the meat, then it is your call as to what size buck you shoot. And it is the states loss in the long run.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Spike

I just think the sport is heading in the wrong direction, dont get me wrong I like big racked deer they are great!But even the youth in the sport now days talk about antler score ,I never even knew scors existed untill about 15 years ago, now thats all you hear!I'm afraid people judge the quality of their hunt buy the size of the rack and that too me is SAD!To each their own!Some of my most memerable hunts growing up ended with nothing in the back of the truck!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree iawalleyeguy, the "experience" aspect for many has been diminished.

I also agree with a lot of the things Deerdust mentioned, but...

What we're seeing is a phenomenon psychologists call "self-enhancement". It's an occurrence running rampant among North American white-tailed deer hunters. So-called self-enhancers think that they’re blessed, that they’re highly appreciated by others and that they’ll come out on top providing they shoot a bigger deer than anyone else. "Bigger" is their driving force. And yes, such thinking is stigmatizing hunting, all of hunting. The reason, these guys are doing really stupid things to get results...without regard or care to the stumbling blocks they're creating.

In my opinion, "bigger" isn't always better(considering the variables)-it's just bigger. I would gladly, if given the opportunity, travel to Europe to bow hunt nothing other than hinds, does, nannies, ewes, and sows. The time and experience of hunting in a far off land totally outweighs any antlers/horns/tusks I could bring home (the hardware is merely icing on the cake for me).

Moreover, for me the White-tailed deer of North America is not the gold standard, like it is for so many. Actually, I find it to be an incredibly easy species to hunt when compared to other species in the world-axis deer, elk, and leopard, for example. Let’s face it; killing a deer does not require an advanced college education anywhere in the United States. On the contrary, in a lot of case, it requires hardly any education at all. Young boys and girls (those capable of quickly connecting the dots) kill deer everywhere/all the time without a lot of experience or supervision! Plenty of non-rocket scientists partake in annual hunting activities and go home year after year with back straps and antlers in their hunting rigs. Some may argue I’m underrating the requirements to be a successful deer hunter, but the facts suggest I’m spot on.

My friend, be thankful you have the time to enjoy the privilege given to you (that’s the real trophy). Naturally, you should enjoy the experience legally. Hopefully, we’ll have this great past time for generations to come. Good hunting!

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 07-09-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:40 AM
Spike

I guess it's a good thing I hunt on public land.

If I had to age a critter, or size a rack in the field, I'd just stay home. Score..........what score? I don't care about the score, record books, or any other self important malarkey that some folks need to feel good about themselves.

I do understand antler point restrictions and even agree with them to a point but the purpose of hunting for me is to get outside and put meat in the freezer. The meat aspect is just a way of justifying paying more money in time and effort for something that is cheaper to purchase over the counter but it works for me.

There is a joy and pleasure in hunting as well as a certain element of pride in being self sufficient. I don't need the admiration of others to feel good about myself which is what record books are about for me. Some of my friends have trophies in the record books, but that's for them and not me.

Biker
Old 07-10-2011, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

I enjoy whitetail hunting with archery gear with a passion, live for it. I harvest a lot of deer during the coarse of a hunting season, most of them being adult does. But if I put my tag on a buck, that buck will score 130" or better. It is a self imposed restriction as I get no thrill out of harvesting a young buck. I prefer the challenge of getting myself in range of a mature Whitetail buck. When I was younger I did enter a few into P&Y, but I no longer do that either, means nothing to me. If I didn't live in an area that has so many deer and managed for QDM I would probably think differently. But as long as I live in the MidWest I choose to fill the freezer with does and tag mature Bucks.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
I agree iawalleyeguy, the "experience" aspect for many has been diminished.

I also agree with a lot of the things Deerdust mentioned, but...

What we're seeing is a phenomenon psychologists call "self-enhancement". It's an occurrence running rampant among North American white-tailed deer hunters. So-called self-enhancers think that they’re blessed, that they’re highly appreciated by others and that they’ll come out on top providing they shoot a bigger deer than anyone else. "Bigger" is their driving force. And yes, such thinking is stigmatizing hunting, all of hunting. The reason, these guys are doing really stupid things to get results...without regard or care to the stumbling blocks they're creating.

In my opinion, "bigger" isn't always better(considering the variables)-it's just bigger. I would gladly, if given the opportunity, travel to Europe to bow hunt nothing other than hinds, does, nannies, ewes, and sows. The time and experience of hunting in a far off land totally outweighs any antlers/horns/tusks I could bring home (the hardware is merely icing on the cake for me).

Moreover, for me the White-tailed deer of North America is not the gold standard, like it is for so many. Actually, I find it to be an incredibly easy species to hunt when compared to other species in the world-axis deer, elk, and leopard, for example. Let’s face it; killing a deer does not require an advanced college education anywhere in the United States. On the contrary, in a lot of case, it requires hardly any education at all. Young boys and girls (those capable of quickly connecting the dots) kill deer everywhere/all the time without a lot of experience or supervision! Plenty of non-rocket scientists partake in annual hunting activities and go home year after year with back straps and antlers in their hunting rigs. Some may argue I’m underrating the requirements to be a successful deer hunter, but the facts suggest I’m spot on.

My friend, be thankful you have the time to enjoy the privilege given to you (that’s the real trophy). Naturally, you should enjoy the experience legally. Hopefully, we’ll have this great past time for generations to come. Good hunting!
I totally agree. Well said guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.