HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   list of problems/concerns i have (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/346492-list-problems-concerns-i-have.html)

deer61hunter 07-06-2011 08:11 AM

list of problems/concerns i have

1ST Problem

i want to bait deer with a deer feeder but would i use straight up corn or would it be good to mix it with oats ive also read about poeple putting out alpha bails around the feeder is this wise. please give me or opinion with little flame

2ND Problem

i have a concern about scent when i wake up in the morning would i take a shower what about brushing my teeth would it be ok or skip all of that. like i said above please give me or opinion with little flame

halfbakedi420 07-06-2011 08:40 AM

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowh...cent-free.html

Kybuckhunter 07-06-2011 11:13 AM

Just corn is fine...

The less scent the better. Also don't over hunt a spot too much because the deer will soon pattern you. Do not hunt a stand if the wind isn't right.

Mojotex 07-06-2011 11:15 AM

Don't sweat the shower, tooth care stuff. There is a lot of hype surrounding scent elimination. I have been at this since 1962. I have tried a lot of products, and/or been around many others who have tried it all. Bottom line is simple. Stay upwind if at all possible. If a deer gets down wind, you are done. I'd suggest that you try to stay as neutral as practical. No need to stink ... the use of scent free body soaps, laundry stuff, topical sprays, etc. probably help. But do not think that anything will totally eliminate scent.

As far as what to use in a spin feeder? Most folks use corn only. Corn is only about 7% protien and can interfere with the natural digestive system of deer .... not sure about oats. If where you are setting this up, the weather is relatively dry, try some "deer pellets". More expensive than corn, but better for the deer. Also might try 50-50 corn and feed soy bean mix. We used to feed deer in "free" feeders. They loved the 50-50 mix .... but so did coons, crows, turkeys, squirrels, etc. So we quit that after about 10 years. We do not use spin feeders at all now, opting for year round food plots.

dog1 07-06-2011 12:28 PM

Problems

I started deer hunting in the early 60s' and think I have tried it all. I don't bait for personal (siting over a pile of corn), but had out 3 moultrie feeders for 20 plus years on 1000 acres, no hunting allowed around them. I've planted all types of food plots, some good, some bad, so that question is wide open.

As for my personal scent. Here in Georgia, bow season now opens in September and 95/100 degrees. The first climber I bought was a Baker. You put it around the tree, feet in the stirrups, no seat, huged the tree and climbed, skined up chest and arms. By the time you quit climbing you would be soaking wet with sweat. Some times I carried another t-shirt to change into after I cooled off a bit. Always killed deer and no such thing as scent blocker, just worked the wind. \\

dog1

gonzo1029 07-06-2011 02:29 PM

When just going out to check on/freshen up feeders and mineral spots I'm not to worried about scent. I spray with Dead Down Wind once before I head out. I use Big & J's product BB2 XX concentrated and mix the 20lb bag with 50lb of corn. BB2 adds some extra minerals and also deer prefer the mix to just plain corn.

brushbustin 07-06-2011 02:35 PM

Don't bait,thats the lazy hunters way of doing things.And plus its unethical!

gonzo1029 07-06-2011 02:40 PM

I see no reason's its unethical. If it's legal in your state you have that option. I also refuse to believe that using feeders or corn spread on the ground is any different from hunting corn spilled by combines or grain trucks after harvesting.

deerdust 07-07-2011 05:45 AM

Just corn is fine. If you want to add more to it, I'm sure all the critters that come to it will love you for it, including the deer. As far as scent, I have seen hunters decked out in all the latest gear. They get dressed at the truck before the walk to the stand. Some even putting on the final touches after they get to the stand. They come in at the end of the day or at lunch and tell how they were winded by the deer. Carbon clothing is BS. lol I am sure it will give you some control at 1st, but at a point it has absorbed all it can and can't be reactivated. Hunt the wind as best you can, use your personal hygiene and scent spray.

Originally Posted by brushbustin (Post 3821655)
Don't bait,thats the lazy hunters way of doing things.And plus its unethical!

Your opinion, Fine, End of subject. That's not what he was asking.

MZS 07-07-2011 06:35 AM

With respect to scent: Yes, brush teeth and shower. I personally use a tiny bit of unscented clothes detergent to shower with as it only costs pennies vs. dollars for special hunting soaps. Rinse your mouth well after brushing with std toothpaste or use baking soda. I use a scent-killer type spray on clothes that I believe works - I have had deer pass 10-ft away while hunting on ground in a blind! For even more cover, store your hunting clothes in or near the corn you use for bait. And keep your clothes outside somewhere away from house or auto/gas odors.