Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
list of problems/concerns i have >

list of problems/concerns i have

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

list of problems/concerns i have

Old 07-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

I think regarless of whether you are hunting or not you should brush your teeth. I am no dentist I think it is a good idea.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Better yet just take your teeth out and brush them when you get back
Old 07-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

……Or gargle with possum urine

Its illegal to bait were I hunt so I would be as helpful as a hunting celebrity is to me…worthless!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Spike

I feed alfalfa hay as our primary feed. I have had excellent results but others have been mixed. I live in an arid region. Alfalfa may not be the best if you are in an area that has lot's of natural green browse. Oats sat on the ground and clogged the spinners on my feeders. Alfalfa doesn't draw coons. I also add a protein block and a mineral block at each feeder. Experiment, corn always works.

Build your stand high as you can and have multiple pathways to mind the wind. Ivory soap works fine. You don't have to be Rambo with a feeder and a blind.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:01 AM
Spike

Go with what you can afford. Corn is everywhere...look for the best prices. Or, if you can, get with a farmer and see if he will sell you some of his corn. We have a friend that sets us up every year...we just went out and found old 55 gal drums to fill up for our feeders for the year. Only bad part about this is that you will have to filter the larger bits of stalk, leaves, etc from the corn so that you don't jam up your feeder if you use a mechanical throw.

I use the cheap scent killer stuff that they sell after the season is over for the following year. Can get it for a heck of alot less than during the season. Then a quick spray before I head out. Works well for me...had them pass by me within 10-15 feet without spooking. Even without brushing!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Uncle ted on baiting lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxMk9gHsXjg
Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry my man, I can't help you with the baiting issue but I can help with the scent issues. Just use your better judgement brother..... I too, like others on here, have seen people decked out in the latest and greatest only to get busted constantly or have absolutely no luck at all. Playing the wind is key. There is absolutely no reason to go out and by the ScentLoc suit because it is a hoax. Seriously, alot of it is common sense. Many hunters I've seen, forget the little things that can make or break your chances in the woods. I like to keep my hunting clothes separate from my other clothes to minimize uncommon scents that aren't found in nature. Normally when I'm hunting I'll keep them in some sort of container and put them on when I'm ready to leave the house. I'll spray down when I get out of the truck and ready to move to my stand. If it's hot/warm I may bring a small spray bottle with me. Not only does it knock the edge off of your scent, it cools you off on those warmer days. BTW, Don't forget your harness if you're hunting a tree stand.

VA

Last edited by VA5326; 07-08-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Alltlk4
I think regarless of whether you are hunting or not you should brush your teeth. I am no dentist I think it is a good idea.
Exactly...
Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

And another con of baiting is that it helps spread disease.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

@ woodsmaster- man It Ted can say anything and make it sound good lol. No problem with the baiting here. If you can afford it these days amen! Corns 10 bucks a bag at walmart here. Plain ol baking soda works for tooth paste. Ive used the dead down wind stuff and had deer come to my tree and not smell me. Just got some primos earth spray, stink like I rolled in potting soil... might help "cover" your smells better if you know youll be sweating alot or already have on somewhat stinky gear... Goodluck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.