Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ethics

Old 07-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ethics

I'm wondering how you guys feel about baiting deer. Personally, I hunt in a zone where baiting is not allowed, but even if it were, I wouldn't do it. However, I wouldn't really criticize anyone who does bait. What are your thoughts on the issue?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hate it and wish it wasn't allowed anywhere!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

Baiting is cheating in hunting. I know there are situations for certain animals (way northern bear) that require it, but people who do it to shoot the next walking piece of venison they see just disgust me. I have always had a saying "Ethics before Antlers."
Old 07-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

I put corn out in front of my trail cam, but don't hunt over corn.
I just put it out for the pictures.
It's legal in NC to bait, but I just can't bring myself to do it.
I don't condem any one that does bait, as long as its legal.
JMHO
Old 07-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Uh oh - $20 bucks this thread hits 10+ pages by this time tomorrow!

Illegal here in Indiana. Hunted Kentucky where it is legal and still didn't do it. I am physically able, and have enough knowledge about whitetails that I don't need it. I don't really see the need. I always abide by the law anyway. If you don't need it to kill, don't use it. Generally, taking a whitetail isn't that difficult if you put some time into it.

Too bad some people abuse the practice which makes those who do it within their states laws look bad. I bet there are a lot of hunters (myself included) who are against those who do, have encountered problems with baiting in their state where it's illegal.

Last edited by StealthHtr22; 07-05-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a whole bunch of the USA grossly absent of forest. So being amongst the trees is, well, impossible! South Texas, for example, is nothing but brush country characterized by mesquite, blackbrush, brasil, and other thorny plants-which love to swallow halfwits. Walking, manuevering, and effectively hunting through such vegetation is futile. If you have been there and have seen it, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. "Baiting" is the only effective means to control an exploding deer population!

It's easy to chastise the gladiators when your sitting in your comfy treestand half a country away....

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 07-05-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
There's a whole bunch of the USA grossly absent of forest. So being amongst the trees is, well, impossible! South Texas, for example, is nothing but brush country characterized by mesquite, blackbrush, brasil, and other thorny plants-which love to swollow halfwits. Walking, manuevering, and effectively hunting through such vegetation is futile. If you have been there and have seen it, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. "Baiting" is the only effective means to control an exploding deer population!

It's easy to chastise the gladiators when your sitting in your comfy treestand half a country away....
Great point. I wouldn't know because I've never experienced something like that. Geographical locations and environmental conditions are definitely something to factor in, in this conversation.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well this always ends the same way but lets hit it again.

Ethics is a funny thing. It depends where you were raised that determines your ethics. Some see hunting with dogs a wrong yet the guys that grew up doing it see no issue with it. The same with bait. Some guys have seen it done all their life and see no issue with it. If you think its cheating then don't do it.

I have used a little corn before and I never see monster bucks running to my stand at every set. As a matter of fact, none of my largest bucks came over bait. I hunt a small area and I can't put in any food plots so some corn may help them come my way when the neighbor has a large crop next door. I would much rather have a food plot because corn cost a lot now and it's hard work packing it in where I hunt. I can pack in a 100 pounds of corn and it would be gone in a few days. So most times I just use it when it's getting late and I want to put a doe in the freezer.

So as long as it's legal, do it if you want. It doesn't bother me.

I can say the same thing about trail cams. These things have become a must now to many hunters. I see them as the biggest advantage over deer in the history of hunting. I can see what deer are coming in and what time. I can hunt a stand when I know deer are using it know when to leave it alone. This is a huge advantage if Im hunting a big buck. So is it ethical to spy on a big buck all the time and pin down his patterns?? Like I said earlier...if it's legal do it if you like. If you don't want to take advantage of them don't.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wizzing in the wind!
How many times is this thread going to come up!@#$#
If its legal where you hunt and you want to bait, do it!
If its legal where you hunt and you don't want to bait, don't do it!
If its illegal in your area, you are breaking the law!
How simple is that? Let this dead horse die, sheesh!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

JagMag hits the nail on the head. Ethics has nothing to do with it, if it is legal and you want to do it then go ahead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.