Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer Caine/Mineral Site Question >

Deer Caine/Mineral Site Question

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Caine/Mineral Site Question

Old 07-01-2011, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Caine/Mineral Site Question

Question for the members of the board who use mineral licks, a few years ago i was lucky enough to get access to a few hundred acres of farmland/woods to hunt in Maryland. Now this is all farm country where I am, corn and soybean being the majority. At first I would put piles of corn out covered with Buck Jam in front of my cameras to find out what was on the property. I would get tons of pics in every location. This past year, instead of spending all the money on corn and lugging it into the woods, I figured I'd set up some mineral sites with Deer Caine and just check the cameras every few weeks. Well i've had no luck with the Caine sites for 2 years now. I've moved some around and such but it seems the first few days they'll show up and then very very scattered after that. My question is, do you think Deer Caine just isn't good and I should try other minerals or could it be that the soil here is so rich already from all the farming, that they do not need minerals as much and don't make it a point to come to the sites? I know the deer are here and I'd like some pics without having to keep throwing corn out there.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Here in Missouri, we put out many many deer cain licks on the 20,000 acres we lease. We have great success with it. Deer cain is just salt and not something that the deer need, but they like the salt and come to it. There are many different products on the market, that enhance antler growth and will attract the deer to the lick, better than Deer Cain. It is possible that the deer are already getting salt from, either a natural lick in the area, or if there are cattle in the area, from a salt block put out for them. I would try something that is more enticing than just salt. Like i said, there are many products and flavors. Anything from fruit flavor, ie., persimmon, apple, etc.. To maple, acorn, molasses. Something that was sent to us a couple years ago to try, was Crushed Sugar Beets, put out by Wild Game Innovations. To give it a try, we simply used it on salt licks that were already established. We poured the crushed beets around the outer edge of the lick. I checked them 2 days later and was amazed. The deer hit the Beets like there was no tomorrow. There was nothing left of the beets.

Question about your licks? Are you putting them near trails that are well established? You want to put them near, (not on) trails you know they are traveling. You can also put them at a fields edge. Where either, a good trail is coming from the timber, or where you know the deer are traveling the field edge and won't miss it.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Good info. I have had real good success with the Buck Jam in apple flavor. Maybe I'll do like you suggested and try a "real" mineral lick instead of just the Caine. One of two of my sites are within 10ft of a trail, the other ones I know are in prime deer areas and are maybe 25-30 ft from trails. Its frustrating when I hear others say they have 2' holes where they put their licks out at and i just have a few tracks in mine. What other minerals do you use besides the caine or is it self made recipe? I think im going to try the corn and buck jam mix next week just so i can get some pics and then start experimenting again
Old 07-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Make ur own mineral licks. I just made 200 lbs for around 55 bucks.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Deer Cain is all i use. Works great around here.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using the "Lucky Buck" minerals and they have a lot more minerals in theirs than most on the market,the Trophy Rock seems to work pretty good too or just a plain old 50lb white salt block.Another thing we tried just this weekend is an Arm & Hammer salt lick,You dig up the ground in about a 4 foot by 4 foot square and break it up finely and take a 3 lb 7 oz. box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda and spread about 1/2 of it onto the dirt and mix in,then spread about 20lbs of Salt or more on top and dump the rest of the A&H on top and after a good rain it will soak into the ground and the Deer will start hitting it.We put some corn or Rice bran on top of the Lick to get the Deer to find the food then they find and use the salt lick there.You can refresh it with more Arm & Hammer and more salt as needed.Rock Salt or water softener salt will work fine too.

Hopefully I will get a chance to set a trail camera up over the A&H salt lick and see what kind of action it gets?

Last edited by GTOHunter; 07-04-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used deercane in 5 or 6 sites and have never had any luck with it at all!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

The best location for a salt/mineral lick is on an existing well traveled trail(no more than 4-5 ft off the trail), near a water source and by the side of a trail leading to a food plot. Natural minerals and salt are fairly common in almost all areas where the deer live however by making one and placing them near areas you want to hunt you can influence their travel routes. Do not place the lick so near water that the ground water table reaches the lick and leaches it away.

Creating your Mineral/Salt lick.
At the chosen location use a shovel to denude the area of grass, brush or debris, then dig a shallow depression in the bare soil. If bagged mineral salt was bought, spread the bag, in the hole then shovel dirt back over it and mix with the loose dirt. (Most directions tell you to mix with pond or creek water and pour into the depression.) Sprinkle a little on top of it to help the deer find the lick quicker.

If a mineral block salt lick was acquired, dig a hole to the depth of the block plus one inch. Set the block in place and lightly cover the block. To initially attract deer to the lick sprinkle some food on the ground above the lick. Over time the lick will dissolve in the ground.

Be aware that it takes time to dissolve a mineral salt lick block and some deer will not start using the lick until it dissolves into the soil. For this reason if a quick utilization is desired the hunter might opt for the bagged mineral salt or mix the two for longer refresh times.

Any salt lick should be refreshed at about six to twelve month intervals to keep the traffic active on the trail. This interval will be determined by the amount of rain and water table fluctuations.

Once you have the deer coming to the lick site, they will literally eat the soil, creating a crater in the ground.

Last edited by deerdust; 07-04-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

GTO, Keep me informed of how your washing soda lick works. Am anxious to see how it draws them in. And how well they hit it.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GPMD
One of two of my sites are within 10ft of a trail, the other ones I know are in prime deer areas and are maybe 25-30 ft from trails.
25-30 ft is too far off their trail. Most of the deer don't even know it is there. You could possibly use some of these same licks, but you will have to put something else in them that stinks real pretty to the deer to get them to come off the trail to them. you could try something as simple as going to the local market and getting some peaches, apples, pears, or what ever fruit is getting too ripe for them to sell.(riper the better) Ask if they have thrown any in the dumpster. Smash this fruit up and put it on the licks you already have.
Its frustrating when I hear others say they have 2' holes where they put their licks out at and i just have a few tracks in mine.
This is how the majority of our licks end up, but this is over a period of years for it to get this way.
What other minerals do you use besides the caine or is it self made recipe?
The only product we use on a regular basis, is the Deer Cain.

Last edited by deerdust; 07-04-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.