HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Where do you draw the line? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/346027-where-do-you-draw-line.html)

Alltlk4 06-23-2011 01:34 PM

Where do you draw the line?

I started a thread awhile back about pen raised deer and it looks like many have read it and even responded. The responses have made me think about how I hunt and what I feel about hunting. So I want to see where the line is drawn for each hunter. Not what do you consider hunting and what do you not. I don't want to start that again. Everyone is different and how people hunt varies from hunter to hunter. I will set up the rules. You Just tell me where you stop and if you want, why. Assume Each level you go down the degree of difficulty decreases.

Bow Only - Fair Chase, no mineral, no bait
ML - Fair Chase, no mineral, no bait
Rifle - Fair Chase, no mineral, no bait

Bow Only - Fair Chase, bait
ML - Fair Chase, bait
Rifle - Fair Chase, bait

Bow Only - Fair Chase, guide or outfitter
ML - Fair Chase, guide or outfitter
Rifle - Fair Chase, guide or outfitter

Any type of Non Fair Chase hunts.

My levels may not be the same for all but I can't factor everything in. Tried to keep it simple. No judgments here please. I just want to see what other hunters think. I am interested to see what others hunters views on hunting are.

Terasec 06-23-2011 02:02 PM

I Bow - Fair Chase, no mineral, no bait

I bow as a matter of circumstances,
no mineral no bait as a matter of law here

that line is a personal choice which can change with the seasons,
some people can go out on 1st day and tag a deer,
that person may tire of such and raise his standards
some have to go out all year and may not tag a deer,
that person may tire of such and lower his standards

as long a you keep it legal and do it for the right reasons,
i wont object to your method of hunting,

GMMAT 06-23-2011 03:31 PM

Where hunting is being discussed, I used to draw my line @ as long as it's "legal and ethical".

Now, I just use "legal".

All weapons.......same answer.

Now, before someone takes that and sprints with it....don't assume I'd do anything, as long as it's legal. I just don't care (no, really....I don't care) what you do (as long as it's legal), hunting-wise.

I will utilize any technique/strategy/etc..., etc..., etc......as the mood strikes me (again, with no regard to weapon of choice).

Alltlk4 06-23-2011 04:58 PM

So far that is exactly what i was looking for. Just one more thing. I want know what you believe in as a hunter and not just in practice. For example, you may not bait because it is illegal where you hunt so you don't bait. However you may believe in it as a hunter but you just don't practice it.

doetrain 06-23-2011 05:20 PM

I use Bow and ML because that is the challenge I at this time prefer,the one shot one kill setting makes it a challenge for me. We can't use bait or mineral licks ten days before the season starts,it must be removed then. I would use it if I could for a couple of does to fill the freezer with good meat. After that I prefer to hunt for my Buck the old fassion way with no attractants,food or mineral licks. This is how I got my very first deer,a buck and I like it that way for now. As the season draws to an end with no Buck, I tend to be willing to lower my standards and go for a young one for the meat, but so far I have resisted shooting the little guys but it's not something I think is wrong.

timbercruiser 06-23-2011 06:39 PM

GMMAT shares my view, legal rules. I don't like to go to the "ethical" discussion. When you really think about it, what is so dang ethical about sitting in a tree, on the ground, in a blind of any kind with a bow, rifle, or muzzy shooting an animal that is either going to get something to eat or to satisfy its reproduction urges?

Blackelk 06-25-2011 03:08 AM

I understand why a lot of eastern hunters manage land and put out food plots and even bait. If your neighbor has a buffet of vegetation and minerals on his land he's likely to draw the deer out of your property and it becomes a contest of who's got the best menu for the deer. I'd rather spot and stalk than any other method but that's the difference from hunting out west to hunting back east. I've shot one archery animal from a tree stand over bait that was a bear and it was really easy so to me it wasn't that big of a deal. Would I do it again? Maybe but I got that T shirt already.

JagMagMan 06-25-2011 06:17 AM

This is just a re-hash of the "pen raised deer" thread re-phrased!
I'm with GMMAT and TC, I'll go with being "legal!" With all the pious hunters tearing each other down, who needs the Anti's to destroy hunting! We can run new hunters off all by ourselves!

excalibur43 06-25-2011 09:27 AM

I would prefer " No mineral, No bait, No food Plots, nationwide. Of course, you would see most hunting shows going off of the air, but I really wouldn't care. Use of any legal weapon in that state.

iamyourhuckleberry 06-25-2011 05:43 PM

I cannot draw a line. I've seen way too much of the world and I know better not to. I also know there are way too many among us with blood on their boots-the blood from, or the result of, animals which did draw lines.

Todd said it best when he stated, "situational". For the most part, I am a bow hunter. I accept the challenge (a key component sometimes) archery gears provides. But even within that realm, there are species which have become easy for me to kill under the most “sporting” of situations (mule deer for example). Sadly, "legally" does not provide for a higher degree of difficulty, and I do hunt legally. I respect anyone who does the same. I do also find compassion for that individual who illegally sets snares to feed his family...the only means he has available to keep himself and his loved ones alive.

I am a professional hunter, I use rifles and whatever hardware/tools necessary to quickly and efficiently eradicate problems. I am, for example, not opposed to shooting pigs or wolves from helicopters. I will use bait to target a man killer...

In my heart I know when a hunt is fair; I also know that a hunt doesn’t always have to be fair.

I continue to evolve as a hunter-taking my game to as many courts as I can possibly experience in the short amount of time I have. Sometimes, "do as Romans do" works and other times it does not. I continue to learn things about myself-some good and some not so good. In the end, and after squaring up with myself, I hope I can reconcile with God.