Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where do you draw the line?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

I am the 1st options all the way. Do all my hunting out of treestands and groundblinds.

I wish I could say that all legal activities I am ok with but I can't. That would lead into a ethical situation and it has nothing to do with pen raised yada yada.........
Old 06-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt on leased land (ground blind) and do it all myself. I went on a hunt in Wyoming years ago and after the owner showed us where we could hunt (800 acres) I did it on my own (and got a muley buck). For elk or something I'm not familiar with I could see a guide but it can't be fenced in land and must be fair chase. And I hunt with rifle. I want a quick, humane kill. Bowhunting is popular but I (personally) don't want the animal to have to bleed to death before it dies. The shock effect of a bullet and the huge internal damage (from a proper caliber) is usually quick. This is just my opinions and I know many look at it differently which is fine.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

I use rifle, bow, and muzzleloader depending on the season. No bait or block. Some years the only thing I'll carry is the ole stick-n-string and never get out the rifle.

I still stick to my statement I posted in the pen raised thread:

To each his own, but my opinion on the subject is: If a deer is born or raised in a fenced in area ( no matter how many acres ) then it can not be considered wild, if that deer is shot then it can not be considered hunting.

Definitions(Merriam-Webster Dictionary):
Wild- A. living in a state of nature and not ordinarily tame or domesticated
B. growing or produced without human care or aid
C. not subject to restraint
D. not inhabited or cultivated
Hunting- pursuit of game
Game- wild animals hunted for sport or food
Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

I'm a little confused with the wording in the opening post. Fair Chase, Minerals, Bait. What do you mean, chase them away from the minerals/bait in a fair manner? I don't care anymore. I used to be very ethical when it came to hunting, not so much anymore. The Pa. Game Commission wants to sell licenses and they keep passing laws to attract the sick, lame ,and lazy. Some of the laws are really quite attractive to unsportsman minded people. I just don't think it matters anymore.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Spike

Thanks a lot
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If a deer is born or raised in a fenced in area ( no matter how many acres ) then it can not be considered wild, if that deer is shot then it can not be considered hunting.
How would these deer be any different than say the deer born on Anticosta, Afognak, and Kodiak Islands (again, to name a few). They're confined/restrained too, where can they go? "Success" is more dictated by "time" verses confinement in the places named above. Wouldn't you agree?

Those bowhunters who hunt within an urban setting(where the deer are accustom to people) are not really hunters then, right?

growing or produced without human care or aid
not subject to restraint
Where exactly do these conditions not take place to some degree or another?

hunt·ed, hunt·ing, hunted.

v.tr.
  • 1. To pursue (game) for food or sport.
  • 2. To search through (an area) for prey: hunted the ridges.
  • 3. To make use of (hounds, for example) in pursuing game.
  • 4. To pursue intensively so as to capture or kill: hunted down the escaped convict.
  • 5. To seek out; search for.
  • 6. To drive out forcibly, especially by harassing; chase away: hunted the newcomers out of town.
Taken directly from American Heritage Dictionary of The English langauge, 4th Edition.

Prey.

An animal taken by a predator as food b : one that is helpless or unable to resist attack

Game.

A mere part to the definition of "hunt". Please re-visit "hunt's" definition.

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 06-27-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Spike

Default semantics

I have been watching this and the pen deer thread.
Aren't we really just participants in a great harvest?

If we followed the same regulations as other states, Texas would overpopulate in a couple years. what works for one region does not apply across the board. The last thing we need is the federal government telling us how and when to hunt. Most states do a pretty good job of managing their wildlife. They look at these animals as a resource, and so should we.

If you take away the monetary value of these animals, we will lose them all. More exotics can be found in Texas than in their native land. I would hate to see these animals dissapear.

Personally, as long as the animal can be harvested in a humane manner, all methods are fine.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by huntinyoung

Definitions(Merriam-Webster Dictionary):
B. growing or produced without human care or aid
C. not subject to restraint
D. not inhabited or cultivated
Hunting- pursuit of game
Game- wild animals hunted for sport or food
For the sake of this discussion, it does not matter one flying flip what "Mr. Websters" definitions are!
There are 50 state hunting regulation books that define what hunting is in their respective states. If you are hunting by the area laws, you are LEGALLY HUNTING!
I have never hunted "pen" or "high fence" but its not my business if someone wants to pay the money and legally hunt a high fence ranch! And YES, there is a difference between high fence and a pen! If you don't know the difference, you probably couldn't find your way out of a 10,000+ acre "high Fence!" Where as, you can see from one side of a pen to the other!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Yes if you are going by state law you are "legally hunting", but state law aside, in my opinion (the point I was trying to make) is I don't feel like I am really hunting unless I am taking animals ( in my opinion ) that are wild. Which means they can travel in the wilderness as far as they want to without finding a fence. Deer can swim, cross roads, etc. but they can't jump these fences. Deer travel around 7 miles from the spot they were born (natures way of lowering the chance of imbreeding) to establish their new area within their first 2 years, and some bucks travel much further during the rut. Also, in my opinion, if they are raised and released I do not consider them truly wild, they were not born and raised naturally in nature. If someone wants to shoot fenced deer, bottle raised deer, or genetically breed pen deer within areas such as been discussed, I don't have anything against it, but I don't call it hunting. That's just my opinion.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing that I plan on shooting in a pen would be a hog.